U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,095 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My boyfriend is most likely taking a job with Specialized Bicycles in Morgan Hill as a product engineer. I'm still in school, and while I will probably pick up part time work, he's going to be working full time starting at ~$60K/yr.

We are going to rent a place and hoping to pay roughly $2k/month. We live in Denver, CO right now and make collectively UNDER ~$20k/yr (poor college students!) and seem to live quite comfortably, actually.

Will $~70k/yr for a young couple moving to the bay area be reasonable as far as cost of living goes? It should be mentioned that we have NO debt (save a bit of CC debt, but NO student loans).

We just want to find the best area around Morgan Hill and so far San Jose seems to be the way to go.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 PM

345 posts, read 945,988 times
Consider living in Morgan Hill. It has a nice country feel but still very close to SJ.

And you can do a lot of your shopping in neighboring Gilroy, with the outlet mall and other large stores such as Best Buy and Target. And Morgan Hill has some shopping of it's own, Walmart off Cochrane rd. Gilroy has a Costco too. You should also consider Gilroy.

Tbh, San Jose doesn't have enough going on that young people "need" to live there. So save on your commute (and likely rent) and live in a nice town closer to your bf's workplace. Can always drive into San Jose if needed or for more entertainment, it's not very far.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:36 AM

29,752 posts, read 32,791,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyclist View Post
Hey all,

My boyfriend is most likely taking a job with Specialized Bicycles in Morgan Hill as a product engineer. I'm still in school, and while I will probably pick up part time work, he's going to be working full time starting at ~$60K/yr.

We are going to rent a place and hoping to pay roughly $2k/month. We live in Denver, CO right now and make collectively UNDER ~$20k/yr (poor college students!) and seem to live quite comfortably, actually.

Will $~70k/yr for a young couple moving to the bay area be reasonable as far as cost of living goes? It should be mentioned that we have NO debt (save a bit of CC debt, but NO student loans).

We just want to find the best area around Morgan Hill and so far San Jose seems to be the way to go.

Thanks!
I find Morgan Hill pleasant, but dull. But since you probably won't be out clubbing you really don't need to live in SJ (and SJ is dull for a city its size, anyway). SJ really isn't far to drive on the weekends. The rent is a bit cheaper in Morgan Hill and it would make a lot of sense to live there since his job is there. I generally encourage people to drive as little as possible because commuting saps the life blood out of you over time. If you are going to live in a 1BR, I imagine you should be able to rent for 2K or less...but beware...the current rental market is hellacious. It should be slightly less bad in Morgan Hill, though. Check Craigslist for rentals.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,095 times
Yeah, I was thinking the same as far as commute goes...though, he's going to be riding his bike and wouldn't mind a ~40 mile/round trip commute.

Living in Denver and having thought about moving to Portland initially, we still are "city" kids...I mean, we'd live in San Francisco if it was possible but it's just not. Haha.

As long as there are still local coffee shops, restaurants, etc. I think we'd be happy. To be blunt, we like the local hipster stuff. No two ways about it .

Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM

29,752 posts, read 32,791,408 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking the same as far as commute goes...though, he's going to be riding his bike and wouldn't mind a ~40 mile/round trip commute.

Living in Denver and having thought about moving to Portland initially, we still are "city" kids...I mean, we'd live in San Francisco if it was possible but it's just not. Haha.

As long as there are still local coffee shops, restaurants, etc. I think we'd be happy. To be blunt, we like the local hipster stuff. No two ways about it .
Well, Morgan Hill is definitely not hipster. It's a family friendly suburb--borderline exurb. They do have a cute little downtown with some independently owned shops & restaurants, though.

I have to say, SJ might have a little bit more going for it in terms of hipster stuff, but it really isn't a hipster place, either. Since SJ is more expensive and the job is in Morgan Hill, I don't think it's worth it to pay more in both rent and commuting costs--I guarantee he won't be riding his bike every day--to live in a place that would only be marginally better.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,585,620 times
I actually think that ~70k/year, it's a good possibility that you CAN live in SF. Or you can look at the cities surrounding SF, especially ones that have access to Caltrain. If you live there your BF would be taking Caltrain down to Morgan Hill. If you are happy with something like a studio/1BR, I think you'll definitely be able to afford SF. Especially even more so if you have only one car, or none at all.

I think it's definitely doable. You won't be living a comfortable housing life, most definitely, and the commute via Caltrain could get old after awhile (at least he can sleep or iPad his way on the train), but you will be very close to, or inside, SF, and I think that at your age, it would definitely BE WORTH IT.

And this advice is brought to you by one of the biggest San Jose homers on this forum

Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 PM

310 posts, read 640,842 times
People change jobs here all the time. Get your foothold in Morgan Hill first. You can consider a job and an apartment in San Francisco in a year or two. By then, you'll be an expert in the San Francisco job and housing markets. Feel free to spend your weekends in San Francisco.

Your situation sounds sensible which is a surprisingly rare occurrence on this forum. Morgan Hill should be cheaper and better than living in San Jose, until such time as you skip San Jose and move directly to San Francisco.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:10 PM

15,408 posts, read 5,506,784 times
I recommend Morgan Hill. You can find a very nice apartment very close to the Specialized Bicycle HQ in Morgan Hill. Check the website for the La Crosse Village apartments. It is only about 1 mile from Specialized! That would be an easy bike commute in good weather. The website is La Crosse Village Apartments | Morgan Hill, CA.

Unless they have made recent changes, the one bedroom rentals should be under $ 1,600. You just have to cross your fingers there is a vacancy, but it can't hurt to check. There are also a few new apartments along Butterfield Avenue that have been built in the last decade or so.

The majority of residents live within three miles of the downtown area which certainly offers more than it did twenty years ago and is where the town's two major festivals occur (Morgan Hill Mushroom Mardi Gras on Memorial weekend and Taste of Morgan Hill on a weekend in late Sept.).

Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 PM

15,408 posts, read 5,506,784 times
I should also mention the country roads in and around Morgan Hill are great for bike rides. San Martin to the south and Coyote Valley to the north are two nice rural areas to explore by bike. If you like riding in the hills, they are just a short distance west of Morgan Hill. There are also some to the east of town, but that area can get very hot and dry in the summer.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:02 AM

863 posts, read 1,665,921 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks!
If you live in Morgan Hill, I think that is doable. And lucky you to have a job opportunity there. I think it's a really lovely town and I would never live there b/c the commute north is heinous. But if you don't have to do the commute - enjoy. It's a nice family town, though, so if you're looking to be young hipsters, maybe not your cup of tea. On $70K, I would not expect to be comfortable in safe areas North of there, though, and certainly not anything "hipster." Unless you live very frugally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose