Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I received a job officer from Santa Clara County this morning and I have until Monday to decide to take it.

I'm still working out some of the details with the hiring manager right now, but I'd be starting out at around $45k (before taxes/insurance/retirement). I realize that's low for the area and that cost of living (COL) is astronomical compared to where I currently live (Flagstaff) but there are definite advantages, career wise, if I were to accept the job offer.

I'm not entirely familiar with the area, however (I could point to where San Jose is on a map, and that's about it) and am wondering if anyone could offer suggestions for areas to look into as well as areas to avoid for living arrangements? I'm single, and would most likely rent a room at least to start out, and I'm looking for anything under $1000 if possible? The rooms available on Craigslist aren't as bad as I initially thought, price-wise, but I'll be working in Downtown San Jose and like I said, I'm unfamiliar with good/bad areas at this time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a heck of an opportunity for me if I do decide to take it, but I haven't the slightest idea what areas/neighborhoods/cities to consider when looking for a place to live?

Last edited by buckeyenative01; 04-24-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Avoid E. San Jose, just check out the crime maps.

Light rail goes through downtown so you should have an easy commute if you stay long the line if you chose to use it.
You might consider Milpitas, S. or W. San Jose for rooms to rent. To get familiar with the local environment check out the San Jose Mercury News.

I was born in Ohio, stranded in Phoenix for 15 years, then moved to the Bay area in 1987. The first year was pretty hard but I'm glad I made the move. I do miss horseback riding in the Sedona area but that is about it.

Have you visited San Jose to check out the area and coworkers? From what you wrote, I'm not sure you have been here yet. San Jose used to have a program for seniors to rent room out in their homes in exchange for a set amount of assistance, such as help going to the grocery store. It might be a way to get a foot in the area for a few months. Of course, both parties are well checked out.

Many of the foreign tech workers here start at double what you are being offered which drives up the rental market. Also the college is downtown so you will be competing with the students for housing.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:30 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
I will suggest you to do the following:

1) Accept the position!!!! Don't worry about not knowing where San Jose is, most of us in California don't even know where Arizona is! And most of us still has no idea whether Idaho is in Japan or Canada

2) Rent room is your best choice. Like Heidi said, avoid East San Jose in the flat part. East San Jose in the hills (the Alum Rock Hills) are fine. And when I say East San Jose I mean anything within the area bordered by King Road to the West, Mt.Pleasant Road/Clayton Road to the East, Alum Rock Avnue to the North, and Tully Road to the South. Pull up Google Map, and mark that area. Then avoid it like the plaque.

There are a few other ghetto areas as well (a few pockets in Burbank south of Bascom, a few pockets to the immediate south of downtown, a few pockets in the 95111 zip code especially the section between Hellyer Park and Senter Road, and the entire Seven Trees road). But these ghettos are generally "safe" and quiet ghettos.

The East Side San Jose ghetto have the largest chance of getting you mugged or killed.

3) Like Heidi said, look at the VTA lightrail map and stay close to the stations if you can.

4) For the first few months, live frugally and save your money. See how it works out for you. Don't party too much. Feel things out first.

Good luck! And welcome! Be bold, my friend!

Old 04-25-2013, 05:49 AM

112 posts, read 200,065 times
I worked for Santa Clara County for 15 years-good working conditions(where I worked-can't speak for every department) and lots of perks benefits wise. I say, take the job!

My suggestions for an easy commute-Willow Glen, Cambell and Cambrian areas. Even Los Gatos isn't bad.
Be carefull with some areas calling themselves Willow Glen though (they are really east side). Sticking to the area between Lincoln and Meridian is pretty safe.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena2c View Post
I worked for Santa Clara County for 15 years-good working conditions(where I worked-can't speak for every department) and lots of perks benefits wise. I say, take the job!

My suggestions for an easy commute-Willow Glen, Cambell and Cambrian areas. Even Los Gatos isn't bad.
OP is on $45k/year, not sure if he can afford to rent rooms in Willow Glen, Campbell, and Cambrian.

OP will be fine in many areas of San Jose, except for the ghetto-licious ones, which we've all already outlined for him.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Thank you all for your suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, after talking to the hiring manager again this morning, I don't think this job opportunity is going to work out.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Better to figure that out now than after you have been on the job 6 months.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
Unfortunately, after talking to the hiring manager again this morning, I don't think this job opportunity is going to work out.
He told ya about the 60 hour weeks, huh?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 AM

240 posts, read 478,322 times
"Pull up Google Map, and mark that area. Then avoid it like the plaque."

I'll keep this advice in mind next time I feel like boating on Lake Cunningham or taking a family stroll around it...

Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 AM

For boating I tend to use Almaden Lake instead of Cunningham. More shades there. And I still take my cousins to Raging Waters in the summer time.

I'm just trying to keep someone who is not even remotely familiar with the area to be as safe as can be on such a low budget. I could have gone with the default "go to Willow Glen or Campbell or Sunnyvale or any other little fvckin armpit towns because San Jose is a dump" statement that a lot of folks on this forum like to spout off. But I did not do so simply because it is not true.

Hope you weren't being sarcastic with your comment. I was raised in that area, and know it more than I would like to care...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose