Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM

329 posts, read 656,535 times

Advertisements

We are trying to move to Almadden or Evergreen areas of San Jose.

Can you tell me how bad is the commute from Almadden and Evergreen, specifically in the mornings ~ 8 AM.

I will have flexibility on the evening return commute, can start early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
It will be ugly no matter what highway you use.

On 101, it's pretty much a long parking lot from Mountain View - Ellis Street through the Oregon Expressway/Embarcadero Road interchanges. You probably will see slowdowns even further south

85 Northbound is also congested if you choose to take that to 280 Northbound (there is a long line of cars from 85 S to 280 N on the interchange). You will also experience congestion around the Page Mill Road interchange as well.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Between the two, Evergreen is definitely worse. Just getting to the freeway takes an awfully long time. By comparison, it's fairly quick starting from Almaden, but there is still significant freeway congestion and it lingers until pretty late in the morning.

There are express bus options in both cases, and they use the carpool lanes to shave some time off the drive. Evergreen is served by the VTA 103 (starting at Eastridge), and Almaden is served by the 101 (starting at a VTA parking lot on Camden at Hwy 85).

Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
I used to commute to the southern end of Palo Alto on the border of Mountain View (so not even quite as far as downtown) from the Blossom Valley area of San Jose. Distance-wise, Blossom Valley is roughly the same as from Almaden Valley or Evergreen and the commute was very long. It took me 45-60 minutes to get to work in the morning and usually an hour to get home.

I learned to take city streets the entire way home just to avoid the freeway gridlock. Whether you take 85 or 101, they are both parking lots during commute times. City streets took a long time, but at least I was moving at the speed limit most of the time.

Leaving before 8am in the mornings won't really do much to help your situation, and the only way to avoid a really bad commute in the evenings is to leave work before 4pm or after 7pm. For commute purposes, I'd prefer commuting to Palo Alto from Almaden though. Like Sonarrat said, in Evergreen it takes forever to just get to the freeway.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
The commute from Almaden to Palo Alto isn't that bad. Two sure-fire ways to make the commute a breeze are to stagger your hours or commute by motorcycle. If you want to be to work at 7 AM, you will encounter no traffic backups at all on your way to work. Starting at 10 AM is almost as good.

Traveling by motorcycle isn't for everyone, but it's a pretty fantastic way to commute. Get a bike with ABS and a full fairing and a decent waterproof riding suit and you can commute all year around, rain or shine. Between using the HOV lanes and lane-splitting, you never need to stop and are immune to backups. Plus you save a ton on gas.

Otherwise, get books on CD and try to make the best of the time.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 AM

329 posts, read 656,535 times
Thanks to all of you.

Looks like Almadden is the better option than evergreen for Palo Alto.

How is the commute to North San Jose from these 2 cities? Is Almadden better again?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizzer25 View Post
How is the commute to North San Jose from these 2 cities? Is Almadden better again?
I don't know since I never commuted from Evergreen, but I imagine you have the same issue. North San Jose is an intensely busy place to get to from all directions. From Almaden you have a couple of choices. You can take the Almaden Expressway into downtown San Jose and take Coleman Rd/Dela Cruz or North First St. Or you can get on 87 and take that the whole way. Or you can take Camden or 85 to 17/880 and take that into north San Jose. Maybe the best bet is just to take the light rail which does run between Almaden and N. San Jose.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
Thanks to all of you.

The commute would be much better than to Palo Alto for sure. You'd probably be looking at about a 35 minute commute each way from either Almaden or Evergreen. It's pretty much a toss up as to which is further from North SJ.

Almaden Valley and Evergreen are areas within the city of San Jose, FYI, and not cities to themselves.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:24 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Thanks to all of you.

Have commuted to north SJ from both Evergreen and Almaden. 101 is a lot crazier than 87, and the traffic on the surface streets in Evergreen is CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY. But the average time will probably be pretty similar.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:30 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,992 times
Depending on traffic, from Almaden, it would be about an hours drive via 85 to 280 N connect, during that time of morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose