Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM

5 posts, read 39,913 times

Advertisements

I am from the East Coast and I am also investigating Silicon Valley towns to move to based on school quality. I'm wondering why Los Gatos or Saratoga (or even Cupertino) didn't come up as suggestions here. that's where we are looking. But I agree Leland is worth checking out based on what I have learned from my research . we just happen to like the downtown feel of Los Gatos better - more similar to what we are used to here on the East Coast).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 06:23 PM

16 posts, read 102,644 times
Hi there,

Good luck with the move. Don't panic and feel you have to make the perfect choice right off the bat. You bright son sounds like he can cope with the challenges of a move.

My kids are not yet in middle or high school so sorry I can't be absolutely specific. Los Gatos and Saratoga offer high quality public education - kids there tend to come from high-earning homes. Campbell has a more earthy feel - I would look for a home that falls into the Westmont High district. Close to downtown SJ, I hear good things about Lincoln High School which would mean living in the Rose Garden district, which has tons of charm, a great YMCA, and great proximity to downtown. I am leaving out a ton of other great areas.

I'd suggest finding a place within your budget that has a reasonable school district. Then check out the areas and see for yourselves which area speaks to you both. What exactly is your son looking for in a school?

School is important but so is after-school and most especially important is the feeling of enjoying the place you call home. So don't stress, there a lot of good schools out here. I hope figuring this out with your son will be enjoyable for you both.

All the best!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
If you can afford it: Los Gatos, West San Jose, Saratoga, Cupertino, etc.

Commute will exceed your spec.

It is what it is.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM

22 posts, read 37,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey62 View Post
I am from the East Coast and I am also investigating Silicon Valley towns to move to based on school quality. I'm wondering why Los Gatos or Saratoga (or even Cupertino) didn't come up as suggestions here. that's where we are looking. But I agree Leland is worth checking out based on what I have learned from my research . we just happen to like the downtown feel of Los Gatos better - more similar to what we are used to here on the East Coast).
Thank you for your input;10 days later have you narrowed the choices down at all?where else are you doing research? Are you planning on renting or buying? I am a bit overwhelmed, currently focusing on selling my condo-25 yrs. of crap makes for alot of work... school is out in 3 wks here. I believe SJ doesn't have school buses either. The middle school daily hours are better though, home before 5pm I like.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 37,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bealtaine View Post
Hi there,

Good luck with the move. Don't panic and feel you have to make the perfect choice right off the bat. You bright son sounds like he can cope with the challenges of a move.

My kids are not yet in middle or high school so sorry I can't be absolutely specific. Los Gatos and Saratoga offer high quality public education - kids there tend to come from high-earning homes. Campbell has a more earthy feel - I would look for a home that falls into the Westmont High district. Close to downtown SJ, I hear good things about Lincoln High School which would mean living in the Rose Garden district, which has tons of charm, a great YMCA, and great proximity to downtown. I am leaving out a ton of other great areas.

I'd suggest finding a place within your budget that has a reasonable school district. Then check out the areas and see for yourselves which area speaks to you both. What exactly is your son looking for in a school?

School is important but so is after-school and most especially important is the feeling of enjoying the place you call home. So don't stress, there a lot of good schools out here. I hope figuring this out with your son will be enjoyable for you both.

All the best!
Hello and thank you for all your positive input. The neighborhood and outdoor kid friendly aspect is something he has sincerely missed. We are moving from Boca Raton FL and not too many boys, his age, are in our area.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
difficult sulituation u have put uself n
many middles class ppl leave san jose and the bay area in general bc they cant enroll their kids n the private schools but dont want to avoid the public schools which are saturated with low performance, high needs ESL kids who r the reason why the charter schools exist
r u sure u cant private school him for his first year here until u can move into a neighborhood w good public schools?
do it just to buy time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose