Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 08:08 PM

21 posts, read 267,974 times

Advertisements

I'm flying in next week for job interviews Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning in Santa Clara. I'll be finished up early Thursday afternoon and will have the rest of the day to explore the area before flying back to DC on Friday morning. I'd like to spend my time getting a non-touristy feel for the area, perhaps driving through San Jose, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, maybe even Palo Alto. Are there any recommended routes or places in specific I should check out? Preferably staying off 101 and 280 as much as possible.

I've never been to California so this will all be new to me. If I have time and feel like cruising, I considered even driving out to Half Moon Bay and then down Rt. 1 to Santa Cruz and back up to San Jose.

Not too concerned with seeing San Fran right now, as I would not be living in the city if I end up moving and my goal during this trip (other than interviewing well) is to to be able to reasonably assess how much I like the area, so perhaps driving out to Rt. 1 isn't the best idea either, but I'd love to see the Pacific. Hell, if I'm feeling good about the interviews and I'm not completely wiped out, I may even be up for checking out the SF nightlife, I might as well make the most of my short trip.

Suggestions? I'm 25 and single, so if I move I'd likely rent an apartment or find roommates in a house. Not too concerned about looking for the best neighborhoods to buy a house or where the best schools are or anything like that, though I do have a serious gf who would be moving out to live with me in June so the circumstances may change and those considerations will eventually become important.

Thanks!

Last edited by thundersnow; 11-01-2007 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
Good luck with your interview.

Personally, I would get a GPS system or a map and drive around. Explore areas that you may want to move to. It's a huge decision to move cross-country especially if you haven't been here before.

Since you're young, check out Santana Row...Lots of shops and restaurants.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
If you like Mexican food, there is an awesome place in Mountain View. Get to downtown M.V, Castro Street is the main drag. If you are heading west on Castro, right after you get into downtown, turn right on Dana Street. About half a block town is a place called Taqueria Los Charros. Best mex I have ever had.

101 North to Moffet Blvd, left on Moffet. Moffet turns into Castro street, right on Dana. Half block down on the right.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:01 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Be VERY careful on Highway 17 going from Santa Cruz to San Jose. Like VERY VERY careful, lest you meet the fate of the "valley surprise."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose