Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 12:59 PM

310 posts, read 256,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
It's not in the cities so much, it's the country. Miami was the same way, and parts of South Florida everyone thinks the woman all over look like they do on South Beach and it's pure BS, even on South Beach you see fat tourists wearing speedos. Same way how people always painted girls on California beaches to be like the movies, just is not real.

People like Phillip Garrido and Melvin Just are alive and well in California too.

Just Melvin, Just Evil | Watch Free Documentary Online
Yep, my whole point was that it is unfair to characterize a state like that when there are people like that everywhere, just as there are good people everywhere. This planet would be great if it wasn't for the people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 AM

36 posts, read 86,680 times
This is arrogance .. 120K + 45K is huge .... which company is this .. remember if you are in bay area you are not working here to get rich .. you are working her to live.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:15 PM

49 posts, read 89,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
Yep, my whole point was that it is unfair to characterize a state like that when there are people like that everywhere, just as there are good people everywhere. This planet would be great if it wasn't for the people
It's not unfair to characterize a state as having a certain prevailing mentality and culture. And it's not unfair to say that the prevailing mentalities and cultures of Texas and California differ. They do.

It's the pejorative description of those differences which is unfair. Pretty much anywhere you go, people are mostly good and trying to get by as best they can, doing right by their children and neighbours. But the mere fact that generalizations don't apply to everyone is what makes a generalization a.. generalization. That doesn't make them wrong.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 PM

310 posts, read 256,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generaltao View Post
It's not unfair to characterize a state as having a certain prevailing mentality and culture. And it's not unfair to say that the prevailing mentalities and cultures of Texas and California differ. They do.

It's the pejorative description of those differences which is unfair. Pretty much anywhere you go, people are mostly good and trying to get by as best they can, doing right by their children and neighbours. But the mere fact that generalizations don't apply to everyone is what makes a generalization a.. generalization. That doesn't make them wrong.
Sure it is, especially with the ever changing demographics. Texas is starting to turn blue because of people moving there from blue States, especially Californians. I just think it makes our citizens look like holier than thou jerks when they constantly rip the South about types of people that live here as well. That has always been a pet peeve of mine and seems to have caused an unnecessary divide in this country. My point is, I can understand generalizing a city, but an entire state is completely different.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Quote:
Sure it is, especially with the ever changing demographics. Texas is starting to turn blue because of people moving there from blue States, especially Californians. I just think it makes our citizens look like holier than thou jerks when they constantly rip the South about types of people that live here as well. That has always been a pet peeve of mine and seems to have caused an unnecessary divide in this country. My point is, I can understand generalizing a city, but an entire state is completely different.
To repeat : I've been to Texas a lot.

To slightly change the statement : Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, etc. are chock full of ignorant racists who are PROUD to be ignorant racists. I am not saying that EVERYBODY is stupid and/or racist, or even a majority - but a lot of them are. I sure saw and heard a large number of em every single day I was there.

If 'generalizing a state' based on over 50% of the population (the massive, huge cities) is unfair, I apologize. I find it hard to believe that the small towns are different (I'd expect it to be more pronounced) but it could be. After so many trips hearing 'damn spicks' and 'damn ******s' several times a night (EVERY visit) I had my personal opinion of Texas : I'd never want to live there.

Edit : The *** started with the letters NIG

2nd edit : Yes, I heard NIG*** , both in bars and in PROFESSIONAL MEETINGS with all-white, tie-wearing 'executives'. I was shocked.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
. After so many trips hearing 'damn spicks' and 'damn ******s' several times a night (EVERY visit) I had my personal opinion of Texas : I'd never want to live there.

Edit : The *** started with the letters NIG

2nd edit : Yes, I heard NIG*** , both in bars and in PROFESSIONAL MEETINGS with all-white, tie-wearing 'executives'. I was shocked.
^^^Same stuff I saw in numerous trips through the place. It's the old OVERT(South) vs. COVERT(West) thing again. Pick yer poison.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
^^^Same stuff I saw in numerous trips through the place. It's the old OVERT(South) vs. COVERT(West) thing again. Pick yer poison.
This is creating a false equivalency, in my opinion. There's no doubt that racism is everywhere. And there's also no doubt that its overtness or covertness is related to the baseline "social acceptability" of racist sentiment. Northern California is less racist than Texas. Texas is less racist than Mississippi.

If nothing else, you can plainly see that there are more mixed race couples walking around SF, San Jose and Oakland than you see in Dallas, Houston and even Austin.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM

249 posts, read 392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generaltao View Post
This is creating a false equivalency, in my opinion. There's no doubt that racism is everywhere. And there's also no doubt that its overtness or covertness is related to the baseline "social acceptability" of racist sentiment. Northern California is less racist than Texas. Texas is less racist than Mississippi.

If nothing else, you can plainly see that there are more mixed race couples walking around SF, San Jose and Oakland than you see in Dallas, Houston and even Austin.

One of the most racist events I ever attended was a wedding in Oakland, Ca about 30 years ago. One of my college friends who was Chinese American married his lily white girlfriend. Neither the groom's or bride's families appeared happy but the Chinese side was down right pi$$ed off at my friend for marrying outside his race. Racism goes beyond white and black. Also, some of the most racist people I have met in the South are black.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
I just think it makes our citizens look like holier than thou jerks when they constantly rip the South about types of people that live here as well. That has always been a pet peeve of mine and seems to have caused an unnecessary divide in this country.
I'm totally with you on this one. I see a lot of holier than thou attitudes on the California boards from the liberal folks (including this very thread). They notice this kind superior attitude in people they perceive as different from themselves, but they never see that they hold that very same sense of superiority as the people they don't like.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakandDizzy View Post
One of the most racist events I ever attended was a wedding in Oakland, Ca about 30 years ago. One of my college friends who was Chinese American married his lily white girlfriend. Neither the groom's or bride's families appeared happy but the Chinese side was down right pi$$ed off at my friend for marrying outside his race. Racism goes beyond white and black. Also, some of the most racist people I have met in the South are black.
Arguing against a point I didn't make. Racists come in all shapes, sizes, colours and creeds. And they are everywhere. Still doesn't mean the Bay Area is just as racist as Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose