Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:42 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
OP, out of curiosity, why come to the Bay Area? Obviously it's an expensive area, but more than that, I know it is hard to get by on low wages in an area you don't know. At least in Vancouver - you are familiar with the area, have contacts, know the neighborhoods, may know where you can get cheaper housing - that sort of thing. That kind of knowledge is invaluable when trying to scrape by. You'll be at a major disadvantage here!

My recommendation would be to stay in Van for your semester off - you can leverage your existing network to find a job and place to stay, and study for your exam up there. Then just come down to SF to take the test, then go back. You also don't lose your healthcare that way.

There's also immigration rules and all of that, assuming you are a Canadian citizen. You can't just come to the US and work.

Frankly, the whole thing just isn't worthwhile for a short stint while studying for a test. Stay in Van, study for your test, fly to SF to take it, go back and finish school. THEN if you truly want to relocate you can leverage your degree and make a proper move down here.

Vancouver is a pretty awesome place anyway!
The OP is a US citizen.

I lived in Vancouver and can definitely relate to the OP wanting to move.

Vancouver is very expensive.

You would need around 5,051.79$ (5,215.47C$) in San Jose, CA to maintain
the same standard of life that you can have with 5,200.00C$ in Vancouver
(assuming you rent in both cities).
This calculation uses our Consumer Prices Including Rent Index.

Indexes DifferenceModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedConsumer Prices in San Jose, CA are 13.25% lower than in Vancouver Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Jose, CA are 0.30% higher than in Vancouver Rent Prices in San Jose, CA are 26.67% higher than in Vancouver Restaurant Prices in San Jose, CA are 6.88% lower than in Vancouver Groceries Prices in San Jose, CA are 13.99% lower than in Vancouver Local Purchasing Power in San Jose, CA is 61.92% higher than in Vancouver

If it was me, I would choose San Diego which has better weather and the cost of living is much cheaper. I have lived in both cities and they are both great places to live.

You would need around 4,323.61$ (4,463.70C$) in San Diego, CA to maintain
the same standard of life that you can have with 5,200.00C$ in Vancouver
(assuming you rent in both cities).
This calculation uses our Consumer Prices Including Rent Index.

Indexes DifferenceModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedConsumer Prices in San Diego, CA are 21.40% lower than in Vancouver Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Diego, CA are 14.16% lower than in Vancouver Rent Prices in San Diego, CA are 0.05% lower than in Vancouver Restaurant Prices in San Diego, CA are 11.70% lower than in Vancouver Groceries Prices in San Diego, CA are 29.93% lower than in Vancouver Local Purchasing Power in San Diego, CA is 65.69% higher than in Vancouver

For you folks complaining about the high COL in San Jose, take note of the difference in Local Purchasing Power between Vancouver and San Jose or San Diego. The average person in either San Jose or San Diego can purchase over 60% more than in Vancouver. Of course, this doesn't apply to minimum wage but should be of interest to others considering a move in either direction.

Last edited by Yac; 05-28-2013 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 AM

16 posts, read 25,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
I agreed with all the above posts. Finish your degree first, get your money, then go see the world.

Gotta walk before you can run...
Thing is I need a break from school and a break from Vancouver.

Is it not smart that I want to learn to appreciate what I have the hard way? Is the real world that crazy that (and I hate to admit this) a spoiled college kid can't figure out how to make it on her own?

Yes, I want to finish my degree and go far with my career but money holds a lot of strings around me and I'm getting really tired money telling me what to do with my life.

Coming to California will be me learning how to walk after being chauffeured around all my life. Am I crazy to want to throw what I have away?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:08 AM

49 posts, read 89,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveaplan View Post
I'm getting really tired money telling me what to do with my life.

Coming to California will be me learning how to walk after being chauffeured around all my life. Am I crazy to want to throw what I have away?
You may be crazy, but you're impressing me sister. And I have no doubt that with a good attitude and a little help from above, you will do great.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Thing is I need a break from school and a break from Vancouver.

Is it not smart that I want to learn to appreciate what I have the hard way? Is the real world that crazy that (and I hate to admit this) a spoiled college kid can't figure out how to make it on her own?

Yes, I want to finish my degree and go far with my career but money holds a lot of strings around me and I'm getting really tired money telling me what to do with my life.

You may need a break, that certainly is understandable, but what you need and what will work can be tow different things. I like the way you are trying to plan ahead and using a budget, but I also know, from experience, the budget that seems so workable over looks a lot to unexpected expenses. I don't think you are being realistic, truthfully. As has been mentioned already, more than once, min wage jobs are meant for the kid who just wants to have a few bucks to spend, the mother who wants a part time job to have extra spending money or the worker who needs a few extra $$s and wants to pick up a few hours each week, it isn't meant to be a job for one to live on, nor often is it full time.

Nita

Old 05-31-2013, 01:12 PM

16 posts, read 25,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generaltao View Post
You may be crazy, but you're impressing me sister. And I have no doubt that with a good attitude and a little help from above, you will do great.
Thank you for the encouragement. I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You may need a break, that certainly is understandable, but what you need and what will work can be tow different things. I like the way you are trying to plan ahead and using a budget, but I also know, from experience, the budget that seems so workable over looks a lot to unexpected expenses. I don't think you are being realistic, truthfully. As has been mentioned already, more than once, min wage jobs are meant for the kid who just wants to have a few bucks to spend, the mother who wants a part time job to have extra spending money or the worker who needs a few extra $$s and wants to pick up a few hours each week, it isn't meant to be a job for one to live on, nor often is it full time.

Nita
Thanks for the honestly, I know I need to be realistic about this. Would it be possible to find a full time non-minimum wage job? Without completing my degree just yet?I have a LOT of volunteer experience but little work experience.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Thanks for the honestly, I know I need to be realistic about this. Would it be possible to find a full time non-minimum wage job? Without completing my degree just yet?I have a LOT of volunteer experience but little work experience.
I did it with a music degree. Temped for about 5 years in an office, then got signed on full-time by a semiconductor company. Living comfortably with my SO in a nice apartment near 85/87 on a $60K salary with bonuses and full benefits, and some musical side work.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Volunteering is excellent, but employers are looking for those with some sort of skills in addition to experience, so if whatever you are doing is increasing your expertise in sought-after abilities, this would be to your advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose