Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:06 PM

60 posts, read 435,751 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Los Gatos this year (we are considering a few different places). One of us would work in San Jose on Airport Blvd., and the other would work in Santa Clara. We have a 3 yr. old son, and are looking for a place with great schools, is family-oriented, and has some character. What would this commute be like? If the commute is over 30 minutes, are there any other areas that anyone would recommend which fit the type of town I am looking for.

Also, we would probably rent at least the first year (our money is tied up in the Cambridge, MA area), so how much would it cost to rent? I have family in the Bay Area and have lived in Santa Cruz for ten years, so I understand the expensiveness, but am trying to get more specific. Would it be feasibly to rent a three family house for $2000-2500? Also, can a lower cost house be had for $750-800,000?

Finally, how is the environment in Los Gatos - is this a good place to bring up a child? I like the area, but is the culture elitest and snooty overall, or does it also have some down-to-earth qualities (sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but just want to get a good sense).

Many thanks for your responses!

-gmkarr (dying to move back to California!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 08:02 PM

5 posts, read 24,333 times
The commute should be doable. I commute from the cambrian area in san jose (I'm almost directly 4 miles east from los gatos) to work in santa clara and it usually takes me about 25 minutes in the morning. It also depends what time you are leaving since if I leave after 740 or so it may take ~10 minutes longer. It might be hard to find something for 2000 in los gatos - my rent is about that in cambrian and they tend to run a little bit more expensive in los gatos. You might be able to find something toward the upper end of your range. It would probably be very hard to find something in the 750-800k price range there to purchase however.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
There'll be traffic, but the distance is nothing.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:39 PM

60 posts, read 435,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brc12 View Post
The commute should be doable. I commute from the cambrian area in san jose (I'm almost directly 4 miles east from los gatos) to work in santa clara and it usually takes me about 25 minutes in the morning. It also depends what time you are leaving since if I leave after 740 or so it may take ~10 minutes longer. It might be hard to find something for 2000 in los gatos - my rent is about that in cambrian and they tend to run a little bit more expensive in los gatos. You might be able to find something toward the upper end of your range. It would probably be very hard to find something in the 750-800k price range there to purchase however.
Thanks, that information is helpful. What do yout hink the lower end price for a 3-bedroom in Los Gatos woud be (both for rent and for sale)? Also what is Cambrian like as far as being a family-friendly area, and having good schools? Do you know anything about Willow Glen? Thanks!
-gmkarr

Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 PM

5 posts, read 24,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkarr View Post
Thanks, that information is helpful. What do yout hink the lower end price for a 3-bedroom in Los Gatos woud be (both for rent and for sale)? Also what is Cambrian like as far as being a family-friendly area, and having good schools? Do you know anything about Willow Glen? Thanks!
-gmkarr
I'm not really sure what the lower end for los gatos would be. There seems to be a much smaller supply of rental properties there as far as I can tell with a pretty variable price range. Cambrian and willow glen both seem like fairly nice areas. I don't have children so I can't really tell you much about the school system.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 23,550 times
i lived in los gatos for about 10 years and my mom and sisters still live there (mom has been there since 92) its a very excellent place for schools they are very good ( i went to them). There is alot of wealthy people and some of the kids are pretty spoiled . My moms rent is around 1600 a month for a 3bed apt, and shes been at the same complex since 92. The prices period are outrageous but LG is a nice quiet place to hang out and walk around downtown etc. I would recommened it, if I could afford it I would live there

Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 AM

76 posts, read 419,926 times
The commute from Los Gatos to Santa Clara would be 30 minutes. The commute to the Airport would be about 30 minutes as well. Even though the distance to the locations are short, the traffic is heavy to those locations as 880/17 pretty much stinks.

Los Gatos has superior schools. Its one of the most expensive places to live in the country. It is, however, located the farthest west one can get in the South Bay (bar Santa Cruz).

Rent varies according to city. But expect to pay around $1800-$2200 for a nice 2 bedroom apartment. A three bedroom house for $2000-$2500 is doable.

Houses in the $700-800K is doable but in another city. You won't get that in a high priced area like Los Gatos. You could try to get a cheaper home in San Jose but you won't get much - likely an older home not as nice as that Los Gatos home.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:27 PM

18 posts, read 89,228 times
I live in Saratoga, right next to Los Gatos. My 3 year old goes to a fantastic home daycare that is run by a former Montessori teacher. She has worked with him on behavioural problems and his vocabulary and I highly, highly recommend her. He's been kicked out of two other high end daycares who couldn't handle a spirited child and she is just so committed to the child rather than liability that it's quite lovely to see. PM me if you would like her information.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 AM

76 posts, read 419,926 times
My sister took my nephew when he was 4 years old to a Montesorri center in Los Gatos as well. My nephew, who is 8 years old now, has turned out to be a very bright kid. He goes through the public system and also attends Sylvan Learning Center as well twice a week. This has helped him tremendously.

If you want the name of the Montessorri school, PM me and I'll ask my sister what the name of the school was. I know where it is but can't remember the name as I did pick him up every now and then from the center when my sister couldn't.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:43 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,120 times
Los Gatos is lovely. We adored the downtown, the beautiful architecture of the little homes around the town center, the shops and restaurants. A very pretty area and I thought people were very nice. Sure there are some very affluent people but for the most part we found people pretty down to earth.

My husband went to high school out there (I always tease him that the high school campus looks like something out of 90210). Granted that was a long time ago but his family loved it, and when we moved back it was still a lovely place.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose