Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:08 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times

Advertisements

Looking to find a farmers' market with a wide selection of organic fruit, especially stone fruits (nectarines, peaches, plums, pluots).

I was able to find some excellent organic strawberries and raspberries at the Sunday farmers' market at the Ohlone/Chynoweth VTA station. But none of the stone fruit I could find was organic. I bought some conventionally grown white peaches and pluots and they tasted far better than anything from the grocery store (that includes Whole Foods). But the wife would prefer organic if possible, as the "dirty dozen" list has a lot of stone fruits on it.

I haven't been to the Mtn View farmer's market since Spring. Anyone know if there are many vendors of organic stone fruit there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Looking to find a farmers' market with a wide selection of organic fruit, especially stone fruits (nectarines, peaches, plums, pluots).

I was able to find some excellent organic strawberries and raspberries at the Sunday farmers' market at the Ohlone/Chynoweth VTA station. But none of the stone fruit I could find was organic. I bought some conventionally grown white peaches and pluots and they tasted far better than anything from the grocery store (that includes Whole Foods). But the wife would prefer organic if possible, as the "dirty dozen" list has a lot of stone fruits on it.

I haven't been to the Mtn View farmer's market since Spring. Anyone know if there are many vendors of organic stone fruit there?
You don't say which city would be most convenient for you. I prefer Cupertino, Saratoga, and Campbell - but that may be too far for you. A couple of weeks ago I posted about farmer's markets, and (among a lot of other stuff) said :

Here's an old FM list that was in the SJ Merc :
Farmers market list - San Jose Mercury News

Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
You don't say which city would be most convenient for you. I prefer Cupertino, Saratoga, and Campbell - but that may be too far for you. A couple of weeks ago I posted about farmer's markets, and (among a lot of other stuff) said :
I know where the farmers' markets are. What I don't know is which ones have large selections of organic fruit.

I can report on three in San Jose. All have several vendors of organic vegetables, and many vendors of conventionally grown stone fruit.

Wednesdays, at the Cambrian Park Plaza: Organic strawberries, raspeberries, and cherries. No organic stone fruit, but a couple vendors that advertise "no spray".

Sundays, at the Chynoweth/Ohlone VTA station: Organic strawberries and raspberries only.

Saturdays at the Blossom Hill VTA station: Two vendors with multiple varieties of organically grown peaches, nectarines, plums, and pluots. Also organic strawberries and raspberries. I happened to be there today for the hazardous waste drop-off and got some Brentwood corn that was picked that morning and put on ice.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:40 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
Campbell (Sun) and Saratoga (Sat) have quite a few vendors with the "organic seal of approval" on their signs (I can't remember what the official name is). Lots of vegies, but also some stone fruit (well, last year at least - I haven't checked yet this year). Both markets generally have multiple vendors for each "category" (more than one stone fruit vendor, more than one berry vendor, citrus, tomatos, etc) - except for the more esoteric (low volume) stuff, like honey or wild-caught fish or organic plants. The fish vendor at Saratoga has a HUGE selection of fish : whole fresh fish on crushed ice, some fresh fillets, some frozen offerings. Much better than the one at downtown Campbell.

Personally, I don't bother with the Cambrian Park Plaza market. It has little selection (many things you just can't find), not a lot of fruit & veggie stands, there's often only one vendor (you want lettuce, you have to buy it from that guy; oranges? Over there is the only guy selling it). It seems that there are almost more "other" stands (popcorn, other fast-food items, flowers, etc) than fresh farm produce/fruit stands.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
The farmers market in Downtown Pleasanton always had a great selection of organic fruit when we lived there. I am sure that this has not changed.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:10 AM

36 posts, read 86,672 times
I prefer milpitas farmers market ... (in los conches street, in parking lot of ICC).

Old 08-02-2015, 07:08 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,327 times
Bringing this thread back from the dead to find out if anything has changed since 2013. Went to today's Japantown farmer's market and it was okay, a solid B grade: polite vendors, good prices, but only a handful of vendors, and not much I couldn't find at a Safeway or Foodmaxx. And I'd say the same for the Willow Glen farmer's market.

Any other perspectives to bring this thread in to 2015?

Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times
I would check into the Campbell one on Sunday mornings. I can't say for certain you will find organic stone fruit, but it's quite large.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:00 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Downtown Sunnyvale (Murphy Ave) has a great Farmer's Market (cannot recall if it's Saturday or Sunday, or both) and so does the Irvington District in Fremont (at the "Five Corners" area, both Saturday and Sunday).

Old 08-03-2015, 12:14 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Mountain View (at the Caltrain Station) has a great one on weekends - I think on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose