U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,636 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been offered to work on a temporary project on Silicon Valley with a company that has offices in Redwood City. The project is long enough that I might have to bring my wife on a dependent visa (I'm foreign), but short enough that it won't make sense for me to purchase a car. Of course, the salary that I'll be receiving is much higher than what I'm used to, but given the cost of living in the area, I'm not even sure that it will be enough for the both of us, since my wife won't be able to work.

After tax I'll be receiving a monthly pay of $5100 which, if I'm correct, is somewhat equivalent to a US salary of a bit over $80K a year. I'm a bit frightened by the cost of rent in the area. From what I've seen, anything decent in Redwood City will set me back at least $2000 (probably more like $2500). I'm ok with living in a single bedroom apartment, provided it's in a decent neighborhood, but I'm not sure that I'll have enough money for the rest of my expenses.

I've checked apartments in nearby areas such as Fremont, but I don't even know if it is feasible to commute by means of public transportation, so I guess I'll have to find something much closer to the offices.

I made a very rough estimate, the problem is that I don't really know the actual cost of most of this:

2900 2200 Rent
2500 400 Groceries
2200 300 Utilities
2000 200 Transport (2 monthly tickets)
?? ?? Amusement
?? ?? Clothing/ Stuff

What do you guys think? Will this salary be enough for two people to live comfortably? Is using public transportation at all feasible or should I have to live really close to where I'll work?

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 05:05 PM

18,814 posts, read 30,203,740 times
You'll have plenty of money to live and to save, as well. Rent close to work. It's much less stressful than commuting, and when you add the cost of commuting to rent, it's usually not worth the time and hassle after all.

Your utilities will probably only cost you half what you budgeted. Same with groceries, unless you plan to go out to eat a lot. If your wife shops and cooks for you, it will cost even less.

If you live close to work, you won't need much in the way of transport money, either.

Live close enough to walk or bike. Buy a used bike on Craigslist.org.

Enjoy your stay!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You'll have plenty of money to live and to save, as well. Rent close to work. It's much less stressful than commuting, and when you add the cost of commuting to rent, it's usually not worth the time and hassle after all.

Your utilities will probably only cost you half what you budgeted. Same with groceries, unless you plan to go out to eat a lot. If your wife shops and cooks for you, it will cost even less.

If you live close to work, you won't need much in the way of transport money, either.

Live close enough to walk or bike. Buy a used bike on Craigslist.org.

Enjoy your stay!
Thank you NoMoreSnowForMe! This is good to hear. I was worried that the rest of my expenses would be of a similarly stratospheric nature . I still have a few reservations about transportation, though. I learned to ride a bike at the very late age of 12, so I've never felt too comfortable on wheels. Hopefully I'll be able to adapt, but it's good to know that I won't be troubled financially.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyde View Post
Thank you NoMoreSnowForMe! This is good to hear. I was worried that the rest of my expenses would be of a similarly stratospheric nature . I still have a few reservations about transportation, though. I learned to ride a bike at the very late age of 12, so I've never felt too comfortable on wheels. Hopefully I'll be able to adapt, but it's good to know that I won't be troubled financially.

LOL! I'm picturing you tottering down the road unsteadily on a bike. I have a young Chinese man in my bldg who bought a new fancy bike to ride to work, tried it once and said forget it!

So, try to find a place within walking distance, or a convenient bus ride.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:51 PM

3,708 posts, read 14,238,507 times
How long is "temporary"?

A 1 bedroom apt. in the area runs about $1600 - $1800 a month and for the most part Redwood City, San Carlos and the general area are quite safe.

If you will be working at Oracle or Entertainment Arts, San Carlos would be closer and there is public transit available and you can get by without a car.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
How long is "temporary"?

A 1 bedroom apt. in the area runs about $1600 - $1800 a month and for the most part Redwood City, San Carlos and the general area are quite safe.

If you will be working at Oracle or Entertainment Arts, San Carlos would be closer and there is public transit available and you can get by without a car.
The project will probably last about 8 -12 months. The offices of the company are located in Redwood City itself, so I think that San Carlos might be a bit far.

So far I really like the idea of having to walk since I believe that it would be great for my health. The problem is that it might turn out not to be feasible. I've checked out a few places with 45 min walking trips, but if the weather is too hot, I might consider getting a bike with training wheels and a basket after all . I think that the biggest challenge of not having a car is shopping for groceries. I still haven't figured that one out.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyde View Post
The project will probably last about 8 -12 months. The offices of the company are located in Redwood City itself, so I think that San Carlos might be a bit far.

So far I really like the idea of having to walk since I believe that it would be great for my health. The problem is that it might turn out not to be feasible. I've checked out a few places with 45 min walking trips, but if the weather is too hot, I might consider getting a bike with training wheels and a basket after all . I think that the biggest challenge of not having a car is shopping for groceries. I still haven't figured that one out.
You can have groceries delivered by Safeway.com. When I hurt my back, I had my groceries delivered. Was fantastic!

https://shop.safeway.com/ecom/home?brandid=1

Otherwise, people get those rolling wire baskets. Then of course, there's the basket on your bike

Old 07-06-2013, 05:01 PM

6,762 posts, read 8,373,024 times
Rent in Redwood City if you don't have a car. That will make it tough to have a social life but oh well. If your office is anywhere near Caltrain you could think about Palo Alto or Redwood City. If it is over towards the Bay, I wonder how you will get over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose