Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,230 times

Advertisements

I have recently accepted an offer to relocate internally to our office just outside San Jose and am now determining the best locations to live.

Through discussions with a few friends out there I was recommended either Campbell or Mountainview to live for the young professional scene. I was hoping to open this question up to the forums to get some input from those who have experience living in either location or want to recommend somewhere else based on these criteria:

Young-Professional demographic

nightlife/bar scene

Social active activities

Overall things to do

Any input would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Between Campbell and Mountainview, I'd prefer Mountainview.

The bar/social scene isn't the greatest in the south bay, but SF isn't far.

I'd also make sure to consider length/time of commute when you're trying to decide where to live -- it really affects your quality of life.

In terms of 'overall things to do' - what kind of stuff in particular do you like to do? That's kind of a vague description.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,230 times
Default Activities

I am big into outdoor activities, looking for social leagues of various sports (kickball, baseball, softball, hockey, etc.). I would like a location with a nice downtown with good restaurants bars, preferably a pedestrian friendly downtown with a lot to see and fun to walk around in.

I hope this a bit more of an elaboration.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM

197 posts, read 347,618 times
Downtown Campbell. There are tons of young professionals here..the streets are packed on weekends and many week nights. It just hit its stride and is so fun now. Plus it has trails, huge outdoor basketball courts, big bike scene etc.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM

110 posts, read 269,876 times
I like Campbell and Mountain view but as suggested choose what is a close/easy commute as the traffic can suck ... lol

Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I lived in Mountain View for 12 years and had friends in Campbell. I was very happy with MV but couldn't see what all the fuss was about in Campbell. MV has a great downtown, tons of restaurants, a performing arts center, several bars/nightclubs geared towards the younger crowd. Plus one advantage is we have a ton of folks from Google and other startups living in town. You might get to meet some of them and possibly network.

If you want to be outside, you can bike almost anywhere, on one of the bike trails or bike lanes. You can be in Santa Cruz in 45 minutes on a good day. The weather means you can be outside most of the year.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Mountain View, or Palo Alto, which has a great downtown area.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Santana Row in San Jose, Downtown San Jose itself, or Willow Glen neighborhood between Santana Row and SJ downtown.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
All the above suggestions are great if you want 6-block long suburban Main Streets. If you want a real, vibrant, urban environment you have downtown San Jose, downtown Oakland and SF. Of all of those, only SF has the critical mass to really make you feel you're in a big city.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:45 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
All the above suggestions are great if you want 6-block long suburban Main Streets. If you want a real, vibrant, urban environment you have downtown San Jose, downtown Oakland and SF. Of all of those, only SF has the critical mass to really make you feel you're in a big city.
That is true.

But then it begs the question, if only SF has the critical mass to make you feel like you're in a big city, then the entire US has only 2 "big cities"? NYC and SF?

If that's the case then Austin is not a big city. San Antonio is not a big city. LA and SD are not big cities. On and on and on.

I would say that between the 3 cities of the Bay Area, Oakland would be the one whose density in the urban core is most similar to that of all of US's "big cities" outside of the Bay Area. The only exception would be NYC.

I always find the Bay Area a very interesting place. It is probably the only 3-cities super-metropolitan area in the US, if not the world, that are located within an hour's drive from one another, in a triangular geography.

We have super dense, tiny-sized SF. We have normally dense, good-sized Oakland. And we have less dense, titanic-sized SJ. Between the three cities, you could pretty much have the models for cities of the entire world!

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 07-11-2013 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose