Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:58 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,063,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
But parts of Santa Cruz or somewhere like Downtown Campbell are walkable.
Indeed, that is why I mentioned some of the downtowns in south bay, Willow Glen, I've always been fond of.

She could even live by 41st avenue, walk to the mall, and the supermarket that is across the street...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM

493 posts, read 779,458 times
gated communities are nice for the security, but also tend be full of grumpy old "get off my lawn" busy bodies. in other words, not usually the best environment for a young family.

if as you say youll be back in the job market soon, its really a no brainer if you think about, 1 parent going over the hill to SJ and back everybody would be stressfull enough but both? me i wouldnt even consider it, no way.

btw we live in "the valley", south of san jose, and it is far more beautiful than the town of santa cruz, its actually not even close really.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:53 PM

244 posts, read 590,303 times
Scott's Valley is a terribly poor planned town and if having entertainment, dining, and shopping near you in any kind of quality then I would avoid it. Scott's Valley is 4 bedroom houses and two streets of strip malls and chain franchises and that's it. There is zero character, it's only saving graces are proximity to recreation in the mountains and in Santa Cruz, and that it is safe. It is also very, very stereotypically wasp American.

Central San Jose neighbourhoods are your best bet for having a bit of it all, save for maybe the beach. I would recommend Willow Glen, the Rose Garden, or the Hensley district north of downtown. Campbell and Los Gatos are also very good options and easy to get to and from Almaden.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,521 times
Thanks for coming to the South Bay Area. i have lived in Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz Mountains and in "the pit". If your husband works in San Jose area (408) then I would suggest to explore rentals in Campbell, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Cupertino or maybe Almaden and Palo Alto. Personally I am not fond of Scotts Valley except for certain pockets. If you are that interested I can make suggestions. If I could, I would live in Santa Cruz, Aptos, Soquel or Capitola in a heartbeat. I would even enjoy the mountain living of Felton and Boulder Creek. Your problem is that you have a small child, your husband works and you plan to work in the future. Santa Clara Valley (San Jose area) is where the jobs are, not Santa Cruz. Hence back to my first recommendations. You will not want to commute and try to drive large amounts or miles to pick up your kid if he/she is sick, gets hurt, or for after-school pickups. I have done the commute and had no problems with driving over H-17 even with BigRigjack-knife and all the crazy accidents and seeing body bags on the freeway. But I was also single without a family. Big difference. Your child would do best with both parents working nearby or easy access to their school without having to drive over H-17.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:14 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,848,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
Scott's Valley is a terribly poor planned town and if having entertainment, dining, and shopping near you in any kind of quality then I would avoid it. Scott's Valley is 4 bedroom houses and two streets of strip malls and chain franchises and that's it. There is zero character, it's only saving graces are proximity to recreation in the mountains and in Santa Cruz, and that it is safe. It is also very, very stereotypically wasp American.

Central San Jose neighbourhoods are your best bet for having a bit of it all, save for maybe the beach. I would recommend Willow Glen, the Rose Garden, or the Hensley district north of downtown. Campbell and Los Gatos are also very good options and easy to get to and from Almaden.
Gio, I can't believe you just recommended Central San Jose. In fact, I can't believe you even recommended San Jose in general. It's a horrible place to live.

We must extol the virtues and beauties of charming little peanut cities like Campbell and Cupertino. How dare you suggest San Jose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannicus View Post
Campbell, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Cupertino or maybe Almaden and Palo Alto. Personally I am not fond of Scotts Valley except for certain pockets. If you are that interested I can make suggestions. If I could, I would live in Santa Cruz, Aptos, Soquel or Capitola in a heartbeat.
See Gio, this is how it's done in this forum. Those are the real cities of the Valley. San Jose? Whoa...where's that? Oh I see Almaden Valley...darn...which is San Jose but the OP wouldn't know that.

Back to the topic, OP, please stay away from Almaden as it is San Jose and is therefore ENTIRELY UNDESIRABLE. The area also has a lot of mercury build up and will probably slowly kill you.

Santa Cruz is a very charming city! I remember there are many jobs in Santa Cruz, and you can always drive up and down Highway 1 for jobs as well, especially in the farm industry.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:16 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,848,261 times

Old 07-14-2013, 11:28 PM

I am so confused as to why suggesting San Jose deserved such a dramatic opposition response. Seems like you may have some beef with the city proper of SJ. San Jose has fantastic neighbourhoods that are dynamic and safe and offer the amenties the op was looking for, namely as I said Willow Glen and the Rose Garden...amongst others. I personally would never recomend Almaden to anybody, but that it just personal preferance.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:38 AM

13,563 posts, read 10,282,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
I am so confused as to why suggesting San Jose deserved such a dramatic opposition response. Seems like you may have some beef with the city proper of SJ. San Jose has fantastic neighbourhoods that are dynamic and safe and offer the amenties the op was looking for, namely as I said Willow Glen and the Rose Garden...amongst others. I personally would never recomend Almaden to anybody, but that it just personal preferance.
He's just being sarcastic. bobby_guzman is one of the biggest San Jose boosters around on this forum.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 AM

Haha ok I get it now...it's only hard to interpret the sarcasm because there really are people who think like that. Vabbè

Old 07-16-2013, 03:34 AM

13,161 posts, read 21,706,948 times
This is a no-brainer. If you're employed in Almaden, then live in Almaden! It's one of the most desirable areas in San Jose. This schools are among the very best in San Jose as well which will soon be important with a young child in the home. If you live in the south of Almaden, you'll be nestled in between two huge county parks in the foothills, Quicksilver Park, and Santa Teresa Park. We have out own farmers market out here, beautiful views of the hills, creek trails to walk on and tons of country roads for bicycling and exploring. Not to mention you'll save countless hours of stressful commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose