Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 4,394 times

Advertisements

Within the next three months, my family will be moving to the San Jose area since myhusband has received employment in the silicon valley! We are so excited to get out of where we currently live and expose our kids to a change in scenery and hopefully a better life. That being said, we have decided we want to rent for the first year at least to get a grasp on different areas and it will give us some time to really find out where we would like to live for good (which city/area). so now the problem that I am running into is which areas of San Jose (east, south, west, north) are good and Farley safe for a family with kids? I keep looking at Craigslist for listings and I our price range for $2500-3000, there seems to be a few houses/townhouses that would work, but since I don't know which areas to stay away from, I'm finding it hard to know what to look for.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Where exactly will your husband be working? This will help determine commute patterns, which is no small thing given traffic congestion here

Old 07-14-2013, 12:54 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Definitely, working close to home makes for better quality of life here.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:08 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,478 times
Do the schools matter to you or do you homeschool/private school?

Old 07-14-2013, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,532 times
Not sure what you are use to or what your budget is. Living in Los Gatos, Saratoga, Cupertino and parts of Campbell are best for public schools.
Willow Glen is nice but not sure of the schools. Rose Garden too.
Its important to map the addresses of these "homes/townhomes" to make sure they are really in those areas and not on the outskirts.
Though I frequent this area, I would avoid living in any part of East San Jose, North San Jose or SouthEast San Jose.
Downtown SJ is nice but can be spotty.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannicus View Post
Though I frequent this area, I would avoid living in any part of East San Jose, North San Jose or SouthEast San Jose.
Downtown SJ is nice but can be spotty.
How about you just tell the OP to avoid the entire city of San Jose in general?

That way OP can ignore all the horrible San Jose high schools like Lynbrook, Valley Christian, Bellarmine, Leland, Arch Mitty, Evergreen Valley, and dare I say it Andrew Hill?

Southeast San Jose has a few pockets of iffyness, but the majority of that area is very good to excellent (Evergreen) to downright extravagant (Silvercreek Country Club).

East San Jose is ghetto-ey only on the valley floor, but the moment you climb the East Hills, you're in a different and nicer world.

I don't know why you mentioned North San Jose. It has never had any bad reputations at all.

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 07-14-2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 PM

197 posts, read 347,710 times
Once again I will say that San Jose has some great schools. I can only assume that people who only mention non SJ areas are transplants with limited knowledge of the area. I have 2 elementary school age kids so I've got a decent grasp on this. Check out Almaden, Cambrian, Union ,Willow Glen (Booksin) and Evergreen etc. for great public schools IN SAN JOSE!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 4,394 times
Thank you so much for all the input! We visited a couple weeks ago and loved almost everything about it. yes, school is important to me since I will not be homeschooling and private school is out of our reach at the moment. Right now, where we live, a commute for my husband is approx. an hour each way, so we would love that to be shortened to a max of 30 min. each way, less if possible. I will be checking out the areas that ou guys have advised. Thanks so much!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 PM

563 posts, read 807,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local123 View Post
Once again I will say that San Jose has some great schools. I can only assume that people who only mention non SJ areas are transplants with limited knowledge of the area. I have 2 elementary school age kids so I've got a decent grasp on this. Check out Almaden, Cambrian, Union ,Willow Glen (Booksin) and Evergreen etc. for great public schools IN SAN JOSE!
Eh, the general consensus on the board is that Willow Glen Middle & High Schools is not as good as the other places you mentioned. There is an interesting article on why people may think that: Metroactive News & Issues | 'White Flight'

Old 07-15-2013, 08:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I live in Santa Clara and it's very nice. I also don't understand the mention of North San Jose being iffy. It's right next to Santa Clara. I live next to Santa Clara University, and right on the other side of campus is San Jose (the Almaden area). Very nice.

Santa Clara has some industrial zones, but the older area, around the university, has a lot of pretty old Victorian houses. My daughter was grown by the time I moved here, but I understand the schools are good here, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose