Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 PM

563 posts, read 807,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
OP, bottom line is: stay away from San Jose. It's a rather horrible place to live/school. Even San Jose's best public high school, Lynbrook, is claimed as Cupertino's. Imagine that!

Concentrate on the tiny peanut-sized towns and villages around San Jose such as Los Gatos, Monte Sereno, Saratoga, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Mountain View, and Santa Clara. You will do much better there

Good luck! Stay away from San Jose, it's the pits. It's often the butt of jokes in this forum, as all the posters from the tiny towns around it loves to pile every problems of mankind onto poor San Jose and its generally sleepy residents.
When did we say that? Sure the other towns are better, but SJ is not Oakland. Heck, some parts of Milpitas, Campbell (more school-wise), Santa Clara, and even the north side of Sunnyvale has problems like the rear end of San Jose, but people know better to just skip those places and find better places to live in. OP's budget can't even afford Saratoga or Monte Sereno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Consider Alameda. Great weather, safe, great east bay location, has a really quaint downtown, a nice farmer's market, very walkable, shallow, warm beach, and I understand has good schools. It's close to Oakland, Berkeley, but doesn't have the crime problems.

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

I love living in Santa Clara, same as above, although our farmers market is a dinky one-block affair that's overpriced...but it's still something to do:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

The area of Santa Clara close to Santa Clara University (which has one of the CA missions on campus), is the old town area, with Victorian houses. Very charming.

There are really no bad neighborhoods in Santa Clara. Other areas have newer, more subdivision type homes in Santa Clara. There are a few industrial areas, but overall, it's nice. Just kind of pleasant, almost boring.

For charm, I'd choose Alameda. I just like the vibe over there by Alameda and there's tons to do in nearby Berkeley - lots of arts, music, restaurants, etc. And SF is just across the bay.

So, my vote is for south bay - Santa Clara,

for east bay - Alameda.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Your post sounds awfully familiar, OP. Did you have this posted a week or two ago in another forum, here on C-D?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
When did we say that? Sure the other towns are better, but SJ is not Oakland. Heck, some parts of Milpitas, Campbell (more school-wise), Santa Clara, and even the north side of Sunnyvale has problems like the rear end of San Jose, but people know better to just skip those places and find better places to live in. OP's budget can't even afford Saratoga or Monte Sereno.

Bobby_guzman, you are confusing people LOL!

He normally is defending San Jose. This is the new sarcastic Bobby. Silly wabbit.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 PM

15 posts, read 21,852 times
This is the first time I posted on this forum, Ruth.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 PM

15 posts, read 21,852 times
Thanks to those who replied, all are appreciated. I am taking notes so if there's anything else that you can recommend, suggest, point of views etc.. that will help with our move, please keep them coming...

Old 07-17-2013, 11:03 PM

563 posts, read 807,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

He normally is defending San Jose. This is the new sarcastic Bobby. Silly wabbit.
Whatever, I confuse all the usernames with the wrong people. haha.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 AM

240 posts, read 478,258 times
Santa Clara - the area south of Homestead, north of Stevens Creek, has some of the best neighborhoods (close to Lawrence Expwy on either side with better schools, and close to San Tomas Expwy with larger lots & houses). Other sought-after neighborhoods are the somewhat isolated but newish Rivermark, and the historical area next to the University & Mission. The areas to avoid are predictably next to high-density bustling commuter streets. The best areas are walking distance to elementary schools. All elementary schools pretty much come with their own public park.
The blandness of Santa Clara is its main drawback - not as many trees as Mountain View or Palo Alto, ranch-style housing everywhere, all the strip malls and all the schools look the same, its main artery (El Camino) is just one gigantic strip mall, its historical downtown was mostly razed decades ago. The neighborhood restaurants are regular, not exceptional by any stretch. But appearances can be deceiving and there are a fair amount of jewels if one takes the time to stroll around and discover. People are also more down to earth and pleasant than some nearby cities, in my opinion, both in streets and in stores - customers and employees. Even recent old Chinese ladies with no English will greet you while walking alone on the street, that's how pleasant people are here My sense is there's more diversity in the zones of Santa Clara I mentioned, than say Fremont or many pockets of San Jose.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Nods. I'm just changing my tactics lately. I'm trying to go for a more low key tone

Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Don't worry about it. Just keep on preaching the peanut towns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose