Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:53 AM

310 posts, read 687,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSV View Post
Some companies allow it pretty openly, others still resist it. In either case, you will probably have to spend a number of years in the office before they're willing to let you take it remotely.

Do you think this will be a growing trend? More and more software engineer/developers allowed to work from home or remotely?

I've heard/read what seemed to be too-good-to-be-true stories of developers traveling the world while working on a project on their laptop getting paid the same rate as if they were in the office.
Pretty much everybody is talking about finding a face-to-face job and then convincing their boss to let them work remotely. That's nuts. But there are jobs, especially startups but some big companies, where a lot of the workers work remotely. If you want to spend years working in the office before taking it remote, that's fine but, if you look for companies that are already OK with remote working, you can work remotely on your very first day.

Personally, I think that remote workers are a waste of time. I hate dealing with remote workers (and outsourcing), wasting my time on phone calls, WebEx meetings, computer viruses, excuses, Internet connectivity and slow/malfunctioning VPN servers. I'm OK with micro-startups, contractors doing certain types of work and stuff like tech support and legal being done remotely. But, full-time engineers/web developers? No way. I don't want to work remotely myself and, for the most part, reject companies that talk about remote work as being not serious about making their company a success. Of course, large and successful companies can afford to waste all kinds of money on all kinds of monkey business.

If you are a remote worker, usually you have to come to terms with the idea that you are peripheral. When layoffs come, you may not be laid off but your bosses will probably seriously consider it. When promotions and raises are available, you may be towards the bottom of the list. If remote working is important to you, you'll be OK with this and think that the time saved on commuting and extra time spent with your family is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post
Personally, I think that remote workers are a waste of time. I hate dealing with remote workers (and outsourcing), wasting my time on phone calls, WebEx meetings, computer viruses, excuses, Internet connectivity and slow/malfunctioning VPN servers.
My employer has multiple office locations around the world, so we already have to deal with most of these things regardless of whether people are working at other offices or from their homes. As a result, the company is pretty tolerant of people working from home at least some of the time, as long as they are productive.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Personally, I think that remote workers are a waste of time. I hate dealing with remote workers (and outsourcing), wasting my time on phone calls, WebEx meetings, computer viruses, excuses, Internet connectivity and slow/malfunctioning VPN servers. I'm OK with micro-startups, contractors doing certain types of work and stuff like tech support and legal being done remotely. But, full-time engineers/web developers? No way. I don't want to work remotely myself and, for the most part, reject companies that talk about remote work as being not serious about making their company a success. Of course, large and successful companies can afford to waste all kinds of money on all kinds of monkey business.
Valid opinion, but again, written by someone who apparently hasn't done it or seen it done successfully.

I've been working full-time remotely and productively for 5+ years now. I have seen other in-office co-workers get laid off around me (sadly), and have seen my product go from last to first in the marketplace in that time. The only cynicism I've encountered is from narrow-minded people in other companies or professions who assume that we're all just having a polynesian hootinanny on a tropical isle all day long. The company I work for has so many offices spread all over the place anyways. It hardly matters that I'm in CO, when half the team (mostly the ones IN offices) are in Boston, Chicago, Germany and China.

My suggestion is not to take any job on the assumption that you'll be able to talk the manager into it after year or two. Because you could easily wind up working for one who would never allow that sort of "monkey biz" . Rather, try to find the best job you can at a company who values its employees, give it some time, and if/when it looks like a real possibility, do it. Of course, if working remotely is your main goal, then definitely target job openings and employers that would inherently lend themselves to that. (like a regional sales/support position in a company with no big office(s)).

That said, I agree that there are some calculated risks involved. That's why I moved to an area within reasonable driving distance of two actual cities with tech jobs, instead of way up into the mountains, right next to a ski resort. It's still no guarantee, but it's good to consider such things.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:46 AM

46 posts, read 65,400 times
Quote:
Rather, try to find the best job you can at a company who values its employees, give it some time, and if/when it looks like a real possibility, do it. Of course, if working remotely is your main goal, then definitely target job openings and employers that would inherently lend themselves to that
Great advice, thanks!

Had another thought: How hard/long is it to get to the point where you can make a very decent living as a contractor(sw engineer/developer/coder, etc)? I would assume that being a contractor would give you even more flexibility and freedom than working remotely. As long as you produce high-quality products, I would assume that clients/employers don't really care where you do the work.....right?

So say I get a Msc in Comp.Sci and 5-7 years of relevant experience....would that be sufficient to kinda "strike out on my own" and work as a contractor? Would there be a pay decrease involved?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Had another thought: How hard/long is it to get to the point where you can make a very decent living as a contractor(sw engineer/developer/coder, etc)? I would assume that being a contractor would give you even more flexibility and freedom than working remotely. As long as you produce high-quality products, I would assume that clients/employers don't really care where you do the work.....right?

So say I get a Msc in Comp.Sci and 5-7 years of relevant experience....would that be sufficient to kinda "strike out on my own" and work as a contractor? Would there be a pay decrease involved?
Contracting covers a very broad set of working arrangements. Some contractors are essentially employees who work for one and only one employer for years. Some contractors belong to (or run) an agency that farms them out to various companies. And some contractors do everything: market themselves to multiple companies, sign the contracts and do the work. Working face-to-face or remotely would be a condition of the contract.

Contracting can feel like a mix of sales (a.k.a. convincing people to contract with you) and tech (a.k.a. doing the contract). An agency might do the sales for you but, even so, the client may insist on interviewing you (which is selling yourself). Lots of tech people are introverts and hate sales/interviews so a lot of tech people don't like being that kind of contractor who interviews a lot or does sales. But, if you are good at that, you can make tons of money as a contractor.

Contracting can be a way in to a company: you contract first and the company decides to hire you as an employee later. Usually, you make more money as a contractor but get no stock options or benefits, such as medical.

As a contractor, you are only limited by your ability to get contracts and talk people into paying high prices for them. There are no entrance requirements or standards.

The "contract market" can be feast-or-famine. During a boom, there are tons of clients and, during a bust, available contracts can wither to virtually zero overnight.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:43 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Quote:
The "contract market" can be feast-or-famine. During a boom, there are tons of clients and, during a bust, available contracts can wither to virtually zero overnight.
This.

Contractors can make good money, but the job security can be tenuous. Some contracts are renewed yearly, or are for a 12 month duration only (but not all, I know several long-term contractors.)

One thing to consider is that if you're a contractor, you may not be able to work on the latest and greatest new product due to disclosure issues. Or if you do, you'll get looped in very late in the game.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
A proactive contracting plan is work like crazy during "the feast", save a lot of money and use your savings (as a last resort) to ride out "the famine". It's a good idea to plan for the famine. Too many people spend like the feast will never end or take it easy and just "get by" during the feast.

I think that permanent jobs are becoming more like this, too.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:25 PM

46 posts, read 65,400 times
So while researching, I had another one of my ever-evolving "ideas"(lol) and would appreciate your input:

It seems that San Francisco(proper) has/is:

-better public transit and more varied and extensive public transit options(very important as I won't have a vehicle for the 1st few months)
-more densely populated(a large, concentrated populace would be a huge plus for my business)
-(from my limited knowledge) a better job market for retail/service/office-temping gigs.
- thriving tech scene: coding boot camps, internships, and jobs

If the above is correct, wouldn't it be more advantageous to start off at SF instead of SJ? SJSU is still my endgoal. While I'm aware the COL in SF is (slightly) higher than SJ, is it much of a disadvantage? Hypothetical room in SJ = $600/month. Hypothetical room in SF = $800/month. $200 difference, not that problematic given the upside.........right?

So now my flow diagram is looking like: Move to SF--->rent a room(for cheap)---> enroll in CC---> work part-time; slowly grow side business = less reliance on student loans ---> gain in-state residency after one year --> transfer from CC in SF to SJSU after all of my lower division courses are completed

If I ever do need to get to SJ for whatever(internship, interview), I can commute either by car, train, or by swimming down the bay

Thoughts?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:18 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
A proactive contracting plan is work like crazy during "the feast", save a lot of money and use your savings (as a last resort) to ride out "the famine". It's a good idea to plan for the famine. Too many people spend like the feast will never end or take it easy and just "get by" during the feast.

I think that permanent jobs are becoming more like this, too.
This is good advice for any job.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 PM

563 posts, read 807,392 times
Quote:
So while researching, I had another one of my ever-evolving "ideas"(lol) and would appreciate your input:

It seems that San Francisco(proper) has/is:

-better public transit and more varied and extensive public transit options(very important as I won't have a vehicle for the 1st few months)
-more densely populated(a large, concentrated populace would be a huge plus for my business)
-(from my limited knowledge) a better job market for retail/service/office-temping gigs.
- thriving tech scene: coding boot camps, internships, and jobs

If the above is correct, wouldn't it be more advantageous to start off at SF instead of SJ? SJSU is still my endgoal. While I'm aware the COL in SF is (slightly) higher than SJ, is it much of a disadvantage? Hypothetical room in SJ = $600/month. Hypothetical room in SF = $800/month. $200 difference, not that problematic given the upside.........right?

So now my flow diagram is looking like: Move to SF--->rent a room(for cheap)---> enroll in CC---> work part-time; slowly grow side business = less reliance on student loans ---> gain in-state residency after one year --> transfer from CC in SF to SJSU after all of my lower division courses are completed

If I ever do need to get to SJ for whatever(internship, interview), I can commute either by car, train, or by swimming down the bay

Thoughts?
That would work except SFCC is having an accreditation crisis and could lose its WASC approval by next year. Your going have to go to the next college over, which is Skyline in San Bruno. You'll need a car most likely, as I doubt public transit there is anywhere close to reliable or frequent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose