Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 03:01 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times

Advertisements

Nothing to match! OMG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 06:50 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento has the following:

Wells Fargo Pavillion - home of the Sacramento Music Circus - Traditional Summer Musicals - theatre in the round - Since 1949. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sacramento Music Festival - going on 40+ years now - mostly in Old Sacramento, Labor Day Weekend, heavy on all types of Jazz music. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sleep Train Arena - home of Sacramento's NBA team - the Sacramento Kings, and touring concerts. - Holds world record for loudest Arena in the world.

Sacramento Sleep Train Amphitheater (Wheatland), 15-30miles from various points in SAC Region, touring concerts.

Sacramento Community Theatre - Broadway Series Musicals throughout the year. - Downtown SAC

Apple Hill - 1/2 hour from Sacramento in Sierra Foothills. Festival, Apple pies, everything made from Apples.

Crocker Art Museum - World-class art museum - Downtown SAC. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sacramento River Cats Ballpark. San Jose has nothing to match.

California International Marathon - One of fastest marathons in the world - Folsom, CA through the Heart of Sacramento ending in Downtown Sacramento. San Jose has nothing to match.
So in San Jose proper or even Santa Clara and Sunnyvale is there a match for those posted.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-07-2013 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 06:57 PM

The very clean, snow-fed, AMERICAN RIVER, flows through 26 miles in the HEART OF SACRAMENTO, great paddling, kayaking, rafting, canoeing, fishing.

In the winter its a haven for waterfowl, Canadian geese, Sandhill cranes, Mallards, etc.

A historic Sacramento Past time - huge rafting parties throughout the summer on the river, from the Sunrise Bridge to Goethe Park. Super fun good times - Bike trails on both sides of the river.

A triatholon is held once a year on the American River, kayaking - on the river, cycling & running - on the bike trial.

San Jose has nothing to match.

Last edited by Chimérique; 12-07-2013 at 07:16 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 08:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
It looks much like desperation when a town's cheerleaders have to list all the attributes they can think of in its defense.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Sacramento’s AMERICAN RIVER, through Sacramento is mostly Class I rafting, leisurely, party-friendly, squirt gun fights with passing rafts, swinging on ropes from trees into water, diving from bridges and bluffs into the water, takes 1.5 to 3 hours depending on water levels and swiftness, spring/early summer = fast, late summer/fall = slower.
For rafts, kayaks, (non-motorized) craft, it’s considered a large fast moving very very clean River.

In the Sierra foothills, 1/2 hour from Sacramento, the American River is mostly Class III, IV, and V white water; the inexperienced need a guide.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsthejam View Post
I have a job opportunity in SJ for the San Jose/Evergreen community college district and I wanted to hear from people that have either lived in both San Jose and Sacramento or have spent/are spending a good amount of time in both. I currently live in Sacramento, but I'm not from here and I have to say that for my personal tastes of what a city is, Sacramento is dreary, small, my allergies attack me every spring and I am not satisfied here. From asking friends that have lived in SJ, it seems like it can be compared to Sacramento and I fear that if I get a job there, I will find myself still searching to have that big city feel and not staying in SJ for too long - like a 2 year maximum! The main thing that saves SJ and makes me consider it is its close distance to SF and it being in the bay. I have extended family and friends in SF and I am a single woman that needs to mingle and I know cities like SF attract many singles. So what are your opinions?
Anyone who could find Sacramento, the capital of our largest state, "dreary" is not going to be happy anywhere. Look within, dear.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Sacramento’s AMERICAN RIVER, through Sacramento is mostly Class I rafting, leisurely, party-friendly, squirt gun fights with passing rafts, swinging on ropes from trees into water, diving from bridges and bluffs into the water, takes 1.5 to 3 hours depending on water levels and swiftness, spring/early summer = fast, late summer/fall = slower.
For rafts, kayaks, (non-motorized) craft, it’s considered a large fast moving very very clean River.

In the Sierra foothills, 1/2 hour from Sacramento, the American River is mostly Class III, IV, and V white water; the inexperienced need a guide.

You have a wide river and we have actual topography. It's like we're the west coast and you're some flatland place back east.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:23 PM

6 posts, read 13,891 times
Seriously, this is a question? San Jose over Sacramento any day. Don't pay attention to any of the "San Jose sucks because there's nothing to do there" crap because:

1. It's not entirely true
2. Sacramento is far worse, not only is there nothing to do there (unless you're a Kings fan), but also the neighborhoods are junk for the most part. At least in San Jose you can get a half-decent neighborhood (save the East Side).

That being said, if you want a real city, try San Francisco, though you may not take to the homeless people, gay culture, and somewhat run-down appearance (in some areas).

Old 12-08-2013, 07:33 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,297 times
I am tired of hearing people calling their local museum world class. There are only a few world class museums in the United States, on the level of the Met, the National Gallery of art, etc. If your museum is not on this list, sorry, it can't be called world class. Being world class means being recognized by the world, not just by its local people.

List of most visited art museums in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Sacramento has the following:

Wells Fargo Pavillion - home of the Sacramento Music Circus - Traditional Summer Musicals - theatre in the round - Since 1949. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sacramento Music Festival - going on 40+ years now - mostly in Old Sacramento, Labor Day Weekend, heavy on all types of Jazz music. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sleep Train Arena - home of Sacramento's NBA team - the Sacramento Kings, and touring concerts. - Holds world record for loudest Arena in the world.

Sacramento Sleep Train Amphitheater (Wheatland), 15-30miles from various points in SAC Region, touring concerts.

Sacramento Community Theatre - Broadway Series Musicals throughout the year. - Downtown SAC

Apple Hill - 1/2 hour from Sacramento in Sierra Foothills. Festival, Apple pies, everything made from Apples.

Crocker Art Museum - World-class art museum - Downtown SAC. San Jose has nothing to match.

Sacramento River Cats Ballpark. San Jose has nothing to match.

California International Marathon - One of fastest marathons in the world - Folsom, CA to Downtown Sacramento, CA. San Jose has nothing to match.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:42 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Anyone who could find Sacramento, the capital of our largest state, "dreary" is not going to be happy anywhere. Look within, dear.
oh boy, one of those "you are never happy with anything" people. Sacramento is dreary.

drea·ry
[ drree ]

1. dull and gloomy: gloomy, unexciting, and certain to have a wearying and depressing influence

It's a very white wash slow town. People call it a cow town for a reason. It rains a lot, it floods every 6 or so years. So to some people, this is dreary. I liked what the city had to offer, but I didn't like the people. After living in the 5th and 6th largest city, I could never downgrade past the top 10. I would move to another country before that.

San Jose is rated 10th in population size. Sacramento is rated 35th in population size. Nearly the same level of Fresno and Tucson. San Jose is surrounded by many other cities unlike Sacramento. I would never live in Sacramento again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose