Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 PM

16 posts, read 38,071 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are looking to buy a house in area next to leigh high school, Cambrian district. Couple of things I wanted to get some feedback on.
* how advisable is it to stay next to an high school. When there are events should we expect cars parked in the lanes near the high school.
* In that area, I always seem to hear constant road noise from highway 85. Anyone staying around that area and have had similar complains or do you just get used to it.

One of the reasons we are looking around this place in cambrian is that some houses seem to be in our budget with good schools.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:02 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
My wife works at Leigh. Your biggest concern will definitely be students and school employees parking along the street on weekdays. The area can become somewhat congested. Overall, it's a nice area. The further you are away from the school, the quieter it is. I live close to a freeway also. You get used to that sound.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Leigh HS is far enough away from 85 that noise and pollution shouldn't be a big problem. You should hear it only if you're outside. Also, no trucks are allowed on 85. Of course, living next to a high school will definitely mean headaches with people blocking your driveway, taking all the street parking, making noise. Most annoying would probably be being next to the tennis courts.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Beware speeding Leigh High teenagers:
San Jose: Five hurt, one critically, when out-of-control car rams into residence - San Jose Mercury News

Just check to make sure you're not on one of the racer roads, or that SJPD has taken steps to help ensure these kind of things don't happen again.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 PM

16 posts, read 38,071 times
I am most surprised by what the money buys here (not in the positive sense). Even after paying near 800K you compromise on something major. I guess you are paying a premium for good schools in this area.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 PM

563 posts, read 807,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwookie View Post
I am most surprised by what the money buys here (not in the positive sense). Even after paying near 800K you compromise on something major. I guess you are paying a premium for good schools in this area.
What do you think you'll be losing out on? From my point of view, aside from the noise and traffic, I wouldn't object on moving close to Leigh High School.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,016 times
Grew up in the area on Branham lane now Little Branham lane highway 85 is built on top of the empty field we use to play in right across the street from my childhood home. The area is very nice and schools are good. I have been back to the neighborhood often over the years and the highway noise is really minimal. I am not sure how keen I would be on living terribly close to leigh high because of morning/afternoon traffic issues and parking. But just a block or two over and the neighborhoods will be fairly quite. Home prices are pretty middle of the road for San Jose 800k is going to get you a 40 or 50 year old rancher or maybe a townhouse. There are newer subdivisions in the area here at there but most of the housing stock in this established area is older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: