Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:11 PM

57 posts, read 230,980 times

Advertisements

Ive lived in SJ two years now and ive got enough experience in these areas to have formed my opinion. Most of it comes from looking at homes in these areas, shopping and dining (especially downtown). Would love to hear other explanations besides my interpretation that the locals here just dont like nonwhites hanging out or moving into their pristine neighborhoods. In stark contrast to these two areas, we love Saratoga, Los Altos, Palo Alto, and Mountain View.

Last edited by syborg; 09-02-2013 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 10:29 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Maybe if you get your butt into downtown SJ instead of the other bathroom-sized towns then you will see that it's very welcoming to foreigners...

Old 09-02-2013, 10:48 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
Silicon Valley is the ultimate meritocracy. Be the best at what you do and no one will care what you look like .

Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 PM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg View Post
Ive lived in SJ two years now and ive got enough experience in these areas to have formed my opinion. Most of it comes from looking at homes in this area, shopping and dining (especially downtown). Would love to hear other explanations besides my interpretation that the locals here just don't like nonwhites hanging out or moving into their pristine neighborhoods. In stark contrast to these two areas, we love Saratoga, Los Altos, Palo Alto, and Mountain View.
Call me biased because I'm white, but I don't think this is true.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Maybe if you get your butt into downtown SJ instead of the other bathroom-sized towns then you will see that it's very welcoming to foreigners...
I lived very close to downtown for a year before moving to mnt view. We enjoyed it quite a bit, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that I said all of SJ was unwelcoming?

Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,315 times
Quote:
Ive lived in SJ two years now and ive got enough experience in these areas to have formed my opinion. Most of it comes from looking at homes in these areas, shopping and dining (especially downtown). Would love to hear other explanations besides my interpretation that the locals here just dont like nonwhites hanging out or moving into their pristine neighborhoods. In stark contrast to these two areas, we love Saratoga, Los Altos, Palo Alto, and Mountain View.
I have no explanation to give - I'm not sure how looking at houses and shopping results in you thinking an area is racist.

Do you have a specific example of conduct exhibited by the population of those areas that would lead you to conclude they are racist?

Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 PM

1. Listing agents that dont greet you at open houses while greeting white shoppers, with a bright smile.
2. Neighbors giving you the evil eye or not responding to a friendly hi when shopping for homes in these areas...even from my two little children
3. Business owners that dont greet you or offer assistance, while doing the exact opposite for white customers
4. Poor service and being skipped over in restaurant wait lists.
5. Rude drivers that exhibit road rage or whatever else you want to call it towards my family as pedestrians or driving

All of the above experienced multiple times.

I actually OK with this despite being disappointed. We stay away from these areas now and have friends that say the same thing. There are plenty of good diverse areas in the Bay Area, so it's all good.

Edit: I wanted to add that Willow Glen has been pleasant at times, so I'd put LG as the lowest.

Last edited by syborg; 09-02-2013 at 11:49 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I lived very close to downtown for a year before moving to mnt view. We enjoyed it quite a bit, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that I said all of SJ was unwelcoming?
Apologies for my snarkiness then. Carry on

Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 AM

310 posts, read 686,796 times
Quote:
1. Listing agents that dont greet you at open houses while greeting white shoppers, with a bright smile.
2. Neighbors giving you the evil eye or not responding to a friendly hi when shopping for homes in these areas...even from my two little children
3. Business owners that dont greet you or offer assistance, while doing the exact opposite for white customers
4. Poor service and being skipped over in restaurant wait lists.
5. Rude drivers that exhibit road rage or whatever else you want to call it towards my family as pedestrians or driving

All of the above experienced multiple times.

I actually OK with this despite being disappointed. We stay away from these areas now and have friends that say the same thing. There are plenty of good diverse areas in the Bay Area, so it's all good.

Edit: I wanted to add that Willow Glen has been pleasant at times, so I'd put LG as the lowest.
I'm white but I know this happens. It's not constant and rampant but it does happen at times.

Your explanation is spot on: Some American whites don't like non-whites or foreign whites moving into their neighborhoods.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post
I'm white but I know this happens. It's not constant and rampant but it does happen at times.

Your explanation is spot on: Some American whites don't like non-whites or foreign whites moving into their neighborhoods.
This is a FACT. But you just learn to steer away from those corners of the Bay that has this attitude. And not just whites, every race does this from time to time and places to places. Even in the Bay Area.

But the cases are few in between. In my opinion this area is still EXTREMELY tolerant of all races, BY FAR. I can count on one hand the number of times I was racially discriminated against, and I've been living in the South Bay for the last 20-odd years.

Look, you can't shut out all the racist folks (whites, blacks, yellows, browns). There are some here, but they certainly are the exceptions, not the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose