Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:53 PM

310 posts, read 684,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydreamt View Post
How do they plan to achieve that? And how about the golden handcuffs?
Most people, even engineers, don't have golden handcuffs at big name companies. If they did, they could cash out as millionaires in a few years and would be free to be angel investors, found their own companies or just live off investments.

For most, even though they fantasize about being at a startup or founding a startup, they'll never, ever risk their Apple job. They just can't give up the prestige and ego boost of knowing that they work at Apple and would be afraid that, if they gave up their Apple job, they wouldn't be able to return to it later and would regret giving it up.

Quote:
I'm sincerely interested, I've made that transition myself a couple of times, but I've observed that generally it's either a "forced" transition (refused promotion or loss of job or following a loved one) or shadowing an already successful entrepreneur (gotta manage the risk, right?) - it's never successfully applying to a co-founder job thanks to the big name company on the resume.
I'm sure that some of these methods have worked out for a few people but what I've really seen is people who move the focus of their life from job/family to entrepreneurship/hustle.

Quote:
My understanding is also that companies like Google have all internal incentives aligned to diminish the appeal of independent entrepreneurship - you stand to lose too much unless you can turn it around in a couple of years and get the mothership to buy your company.
Google is moving away from this. It never worked very well, anyway. Entrepreneurs would rather have their own scrappy startup than do "intrapreneurship" or other big company schemes.

Quote:
My own reasoning why a wannabe entrepreneur would prefer the bay area is - this is where angel funding, incubators and eventually VC funding prefer to allocate capital, close to home. But what a long shot this is, unless you're a well-connected Stanford graduate.
VC funding isn't easy for anybody. But the Bay Area is for tech like Hollywood is for actors, it's just "the place to be". Even incompetent/hopeless actors know enough to move to Hollywood. Tech people, even if they are incompetent/hopeless entrepreneurs, still know enough to know that Silicon Valley is "the place to be".

In terms of Seattle vs Bay Area, people stay in Bay Area for all kinds of strange reasons. I'll never move to Seattle because my wife finds the Bay Area cold and moving some place even colder is "no way". Lots of people stay here because they have family here (even if the family moved here from somewhere else). Some people just get set in their ways or convince themselves to stay. Never underestimate the effect of emotionalism and psychology on people's decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM

13,563 posts, read 10,280,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagleepark View Post
Most people, even engineers, don't have golden handcuffs at big name companies. If they did, they could cash out as millionaires in a few years and would be free to be angel investors, found their own companies or just live off investments.

For most, even though they fantasize about being at a startup or founding a startup, they'll never, ever risk their Apple job. They just can't give up the prestige and ego boost of knowing that they work at Apple and would be afraid that, if they gave up their Apple job, they wouldn't be able to return to it later and would regret giving it up.

I'm sure that some of these methods have worked out for a few people but what I've really seen is people who move the focus of their life from job/family to entrepreneurship/hustle.

Google is moving away from this. It never worked very well, anyway. Entrepreneurs would rather have their own scrappy startup than do "intrapreneurship" or other big company schemes.

VC funding isn't easy for anybody. But the Bay Area is for tech like Hollywood is for actors, it's just "the place to be". Even incompetent/hopeless actors know enough to move to Hollywood. Tech people, even if they are incompetent/hopeless entrepreneurs, still know enough to know that Silicon Valley is "the place to be".

In terms of Seattle vs Bay Area, people stay in Bay Area for all kinds of strange reasons. I'll never move to Seattle because my wife finds the Bay Area cold and moving so/me place even colder is "no way". Lots of people stay here because they have family here (even if the family moved here from somewhere else). Some people just get set in their ways or convince themselves to stay. Never underestimate the effect of emotionalism and psychology on people's decisions.
All good points. The gist is that it takes a special, particular mindset and hunger to be an entrepreneur. It's not about comfort and security.

Interestingly, Google does have a internal thing called Google Ventures to incubate ideas and turn them into products/services, but folks who truly want to be entrepreneurs will strike out on their own.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,685,121 times
The OP's two budgets describe how you could survive on that salary, not how you could thrive long term. I'd make a budget like that as a way to get through a difficult time , not as a plan for how I would want the next five or ten years of my life to go.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,287,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydius08 View Post
Apple is a pretty big company. Did you figure bonuses into account as well as stock options? Those things can significantly increase your earnings and long term savings.
A very excellent point. No, I didn't consider this. This would offset the tight budget, I'm assuming.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,287,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
The OP's two budgets describe how you could survive on that salary, not how you could thrive long term. I'd make a budget like that as a way to get through a difficult time , not as a plan for how I would want the next five or ten years of my life to go.
True. And it probably would be tight for that long, until the car is paid off or the college fund is full, etc., or the down payment has been accomplished.

Someone started another thread on who would have the better quality of life - someone in Cupertino making $90K or someone in Bakersfield making 45K. It's amazing how similar the outcomes are so far between the two.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 PM

11 posts, read 15,589 times
That's why I'm never having kids

Old 10-01-2013, 10:13 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,353,380 times
I think that's a good list and it proves that you can make it on a relatively low salary with good budgeting. But I've always thought people were crazy to allow housing to take up 1/3 of their gross income, even if 'experts' say that's ok. Also, you left some stuff off, which has pretty much all been covered in subsequent posts. The point is, yes you can make it on that, but I think what people really mean when they say they can't is that they don't want to spend so much money renting an old run-down house and have only a few dollars to spare for the unexpected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgesBurner123 View Post
That's actually a great plan. That was my plan for a long time. Eventually we were able to move and happily had children at our new home. I still encourage friends in the Bay Area and elsewhere who are sans kids to stay that way if they have a mind to.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,544,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgesBurner123 View Post
Are you making that decision for yourself or because the economics of the Bay Area is forcing you? Even if it's for yourself, how could it be a good thing to have an entire metropolitan region that is only livable for people who don't want kids?

Old 10-01-2013, 02:25 PM

310 posts, read 684,594 times
This discussion of kids is off base and doesn't reflect reality.

Many people make more than $90K/year on one income and even more do it on two incomes. So, the $90K number is arbitrary.

Also, kids can be a potent motivator, both in income advancement and frugalness. Kids can really motivate people to go in and ask for/demand/threaten to get that big salary/raise or switch/find high paying jobs. Families with kids can also be frugal to a point that singles and DINKs (dual-income, no kids) can't even imagine.

Not everybody has kids; yes, it is a personal decision. But people without kids don't have a clue about the reality of kids. Sure, feel free not to have kids but know that you don't have the info to make an informed choice.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Are you making that decision for yourself or because the economics of the Bay Area is forcing you? Even if it's for yourself, how could it be a good thing to have an entire metropolitan region that is only livable for people who don't want kids?
Keeps the population down, no? As well as the massive amounts of services needed to be provided for the kiddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose