Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 09:28 AM

26 posts, read 106,825 times

Advertisements

I have done a few searches but there aren't any threads which address my situation. I travel for work and my next contract will be at the Regional Medical Center of San Jose from mid-October until mid-January, possibly longer. I am a 31 yo F and will be living alone. From what I have read, it looks like I should avoid living close to the hospital because of safety concerns on the east side. Is that true? The problem is that I don't want to set myself up for long traffic-filled commutes. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look for housing that would put me in a safe area, hopefully close to everyday shopping (Target/Walmart/supermarkets/gas stations/etc) and single people in their 30s, but close enough to the hospital where the commute is doable? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,862,593 times
OP: The hospital is located on the northern edge of "East Side", so if you go north towards Berryessa/North Valley, it will be much better immediately.

I would say to look into rentals around Berryessa and Jackson. Anything north of Berryessa and east of Lundy will be good and safe. It will also give you a quick commute, no more than 10 minutes straight down Jackson. It's also very close to Safeway (Berryessa and Capitol) and Costco (Hostetter and Lundy). I believe there's a Walmart close to the hospital as well.

Gas stations will be on practically every corners so you won't worry about that. We love our cars here!

Now the single people in their 30's part? That neighborhood is mostly families, very suburban in nature. It's also very Asian So you'll find a lot of night snacking at the corner of Lundy and Hostetter, as well as Milpitas area. There's no bars/night life around there. Closest nightlife would be Downtown San Jose to your southwest, and it's quite a drive.

If you can't manage the rents there, you can also look around Mabury Road, which is the road immediately south of Berryessa Road. Just stay away from Independence High School

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 10-02-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM

26 posts, read 106,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
OP: The hospital is located on the northern edge of "East Side", so if you go north towards Berryessa/North Valley, it will be much better immediately.

I would say to look into rentals around Berryessa and Jackson. Anything north of Berryessa and east of Lundy will be good and safe. It will also give you a quick commute, no more than 10 minutes straight down Jackson. It's also very close to Safeway (Berryessa and Capitol) and Costco (Hostetter and Lundy). I believe there's a Walmart close to the hospital as well.

Gas stations will be on practically every corners so you won't worry about that. We love our cars here!

Now the single people in their 30's part? That neighborhood is mostly families, very suburban in nature. It's also very Asian So you'll find a lot of night snacking at the corner of Lundy and Hostetter, as well as Milpitas area. There's no bars/night life around there. Closest nightlife would be Downtown San Jose to your southwest, and it's quite a drive.

If you can't manage the rents there, you can also look around Mabury Road, which is the road immediately south of Berryessa Road. Just stay away from Independence High School
Thanks for the reply! In all my searches, I haven't found many options in that area. I did find one option near Kammerer Ave at King Rd. Does anyone know if this area is safe and something I should look in to?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deladane View Post
Thanks for the reply! In all my searches, I haven't found many options in that area. I did find one option near Kammerer Ave at King Rd. Does anyone know if this area is safe and something I should look in to?
As much as I like Mayfair Community Center and the Mayfair Gardens on Kammerer...I wouldn't want to live there. Pretty sketchy at night.

If I were you, I would look more towards Milpitas or DT San Jose.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:31 PM

110 posts, read 270,081 times
I agree with Downtown San Jose, there are some really nice bars/restaurants there and if you do want any form of social life then it would be a good option. Also you are close to light rail (VTA) and the caltrain if you want to venture further out.

Areas around San Pedro square/market are the nicest in my view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose