Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:33 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Btw as far as grade school. Academics you can learn from a computer or a book. See Khan Academy. School prepares you for life.

Some students do well with learning from computers or books (visual or graphic oriented). Others are kinesthetic learners - through demonstration, or trials. Some like to work independently, others do better when learning with others in groups.

IME on-line instruction works well for some courses/subjects, not so well for others - particularly with respect to live discussion.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on our views of education and schools - we've pulled this way off topic.

Last edited by silverkris; 10-23-2013 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
I guess another way to state what I'm saying, in a tone that is more obviously friendly, is that, as long as you're not in a "bad neighborhood" -- and there are no 300k and up houses in such neighborhoods -- I'm sure OP's kids would be fine.

Like I said, eventually you leave what would be a normal amount to spend and enter the range where the extra money is being spent with no significant gain. Economists call that diminishing returns, I think.

But if you want to stop talking, fair enough.

My advice to OP is, take a 500k place downturn instead of 1.6m on a hill in the middle of nowhere. The schools are fine, and access to emergency services if your mom needs them will be a lot better/faster. plus kids will be more independent downtown than on the hill, until they can have a car.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:11 AM

240 posts, read 478,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I guess another way to state what I'm saying, in a tone that is more obviously friendly, is that, as long as you're not in a "bad neighborhood" -- and there are no 300k and up houses in such neighborhoods -- I'm sure OP's kids would be fine.
This is a silly assertion. I recall checking out a $550k newly-built house in East Palo Alto reasonably far from 101 and wondering who in the world would purchase this. The so-called bad neighborhoods in East San Jose have $400k+ tract houses as well. Since I define bad neighborhood as a decent likelihood to be jumped or (accidentally) shot at night while walking and an almost certainty for your car to be broken into, I'd even include a couple of $800k+ SFR sections of Mountain View as well. These may be OK neighborhoods for you, granted, but less so for someone's mom or kid.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,069,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydreamt View Post
This is a silly assertion. I recall checking out a $550k newly-built house in East Palo Alto reasonably far from 101 and wondering who in the world would purchase this. The so-called bad neighborhoods in East San Jose have $400k+ tract houses as well. Since I define bad neighborhood as a decent likelihood to be jumped or (accidentally) shot at night while walking and an almost certainty for your car to be broken into, I'd even include a couple of $800k+ SFR sections of Mountain View as well. These may be OK neighborhoods for you, granted, but less so for someone's mom or kid.
Can't be that bad of a neighborhood for that price. Don't forget, gang bangers can't afford 500k, lol.

Like I said they have homes and condos near light rail for 300-500k. I don't think most would consider the area around Blossom hill light rail to be a bad neighborhood. It's not as desirable as downtown since you don't have grocery store, fast food, movie theater, etc all in walking distance, but it is hardly a bad neighborhood.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Is this argument still going on? The OP doesn't need to buy a $1.6m home and target elite kindergartens to have a decent life for her children, but she can if she wants. On the other hand, the OP doesn't need to buy a house in the ghetto and send them into a war zone (which doesn't even exist around there anyways) just to teach them the reality of life, but she can if she wants. Something in between seems ideal to me but I'm not the OP... she's long gone anyways, probably because I offended her when I told her to quit bragging.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
she's long gone anyways, probably because I offended her when I told her to quit bragging.
Quit bragging about telling her to quit bragging.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:58 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
1720 Laurentian Way, Sunnyvale, CA 94087 is For Sale - Zillow <== a house, nice area, not walking distance to a downtown.

21584 La Playa Ct, Cupertino, CA 95014 is For Sale - Zillow <== nice area, not walking distance to a downtown. Just a tad over your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose