Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:15 PM

926 posts, read 981,070 times

Advertisements

Posted same thread earlier. So I named this one v2.0
Here is another new article. This time growth not slowing but price has been reduced. Hope the trend will continue for sometime.
Bay Area home sales, prices drop in September - San Jose Mercury News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,556,620 times
I remember reading a similar article about rent, particularly that the new apartments coming online now:
Bay Area apartment rent increases slowing, report says - San Jose Mercury News

I saw a different one specifically mentioning all the new apartment construction in North SJ, I doubt either will really go down significantly short of a recession. I think the bad part is that the housing is not being built close to jobs, but more offices are, like the Mayfield Mall project in MV.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:08 PM

saw that article too. it helps although a little. Uncontrolled rise rent and housing is especially unsettling.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 PM

486 posts, read 1,256,643 times
Seems like there was not much building in 2008-2009 for obvious reasons, and the construction since then has mostly been rentals as a result of skyrocketing rents.

I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to a glut of rentals when the next recession hits. I know that sounds crazy because of the overall housing shortage here, but during the last recession rents fell by double digits, and landlords basically had to beg tenants to stay. I wish I could dig up some old news articles I read during that time, landlords giving away free TVs and stuff. Rentals generally are more susceptible to falls during recession since it's much easier for people to leave a rental to move somewhere cheaper, move in with parents, to another city to find a job, etc.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:00 PM

that is explanation however bay area, surrounded by two mountains from both sides expansion seems to be challenge and there is always shortage of land to build, the one argues. Just compare it to texas cities where austin, houstin and dallas can expand infinitely without limitation. My guess is it is also one of the strong factors driving the price of real estate upward.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,012,447 times
I don't think bay area, especially the south bay is in lack of land at all. Look around. There are waste land and empty parking lots everywhere. Compared to most cities in the east coast and Asia, the south bay looks like a giant village. The density is laughable for any true big city, well, except for the cities in Texas and the south in general. It has more to do with tight regulations, backwards zoning laws, and also because current owners oppose any construction fearing it would lower their home value in which they already paid a huge chunk of money.

I would buy that San Francisco and part of the Peninsula is in lack of land. South bay, no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyencd000 View Post
that is explanation however bay area, surrounded by two mountains from both sides expansion seems to be challenge and there is always shortage of land to build, the one argues. Just compare it to texas cities where austin, houstin and dallas can expand infinitely without limitation. My guess is it is also one of the strong factors driving the price of real estate upward.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:05 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,171,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
I would buy that San Francisco and part of the Peninsula is in lack of land. South bay, no way.
The South Bay has no lack of land. What we lack is good transportation infrastructure to handle the pressure that more housing units will put on our roads. Just look at Los Angeles to see what results from unchecked expansion and infill.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,074,963 times
In Downtown what we want is housing density, buildings that hold more people for the same plot of land. Not single family homes sprawling outward.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 6,638 times
I like bay for life, want some tour and see some beautiful place

Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 PM

Sure it is relative notion. Certainly bay area may not be as good as Texas in terms of space and expandability but not as bad as big Apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose