Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:57 PM

90 posts, read 168,272 times

Advertisements

I went to a Macy's store and I purchased some merchanise for about $18. I was told if I apply for the Macy's credit card that I would be given a discount and I wouldn't have to pay anything. However, unknown to me $15 was put on my credit card. I had no knowledge of this and I specifically asked questions about this credit car. Late fees accumulated to $66. I am extremely angry about this since the salesperson didn't tell me there was any balance on my credit card. I had my own credit card and in this case I would have put money on my card rather than the Macy's one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,440 times
I'd be pissed too. But are you posting just to rant, or do you have a question?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:46 PM

What can I do to fight this?

Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,037,241 times

Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,837,431 times
Don't use credit cards. Debit is your friend.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salilsurendran View Post
I went to a Macy's store and I purchased some merchanise for about $18. I was told if I apply for the Macy's credit card that I would be given a discount and I wouldn't have to pay anything. However, unknown to me $15 was put on my credit card. I had no knowledge of this and I specifically asked questions about this credit car. Late fees accumulated to $66. I am extremely angry about this since the salesperson didn't tell me there was any balance on my credit card. I had my own credit card and in this case I would have put money on my card rather than the Macy's one.
You had roughly 60 days to pay or dispute the 15 dollar charge before late fees would start accumulating.

Did you not receive the credit card statements they mailed you?

Have you contacted Macy's about this? What did they say?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 PM

I received credit card statements but I thought they were just junk mail and threw them away. I remember opening a few mails from Macy's seeing offers etc. I contacted Macy's and they are of no help. I have emailed them also. I closed my credit card.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:
I received credit card statements but I thought they were just junk mail and threw them away. I remember opening a few mails from Macy's seeing offers etc. I contacted Macy's and they are of no help. I have emailed them also. I closed my credit card.
I don't mean to sound like I don't care, but that's probably the best you can do. I rarely go for those credit card offers. I have a few credit cards I've signed up for over the years but I only use my primary VISA card and an American Express plus.

Do you mean that the item you bought was $33 ($18+$15)? You were told you wouldn't have to pay for anything? That doesn't make sense. I think someone was pulling your leg to get the commission from signing people up for the card. Did you really think you were buying something for nothing?

I'm sorry this happened to you but glad that you won't get any more charges.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
You can dispute the bill if it ends up on your credit report.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,104 times
Quote:
You might be able to dispute the $15 charge, but you didn't pay the bill. The late charges are your fault. "Thought they were junk mail" - your problem. You charged something on the card and then didn't pay - the extra $15 has nothing to do with the late charges. Apparently, you just don't know how to manage your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: