Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 02:49 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
a 3 bedroom condo in a good part of downtown and with good schools for 300k or less?.. I highly doubt that.
I paid more than that for a 1 bedroom condo, in a good part of downtown. And the public schools aren't great (but not really a concern for 1 bedroom units).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
a 3 bedroom condo in a good part of downtown and with good schools for 300k or less?.. I highly doubt that.
look, man, I've proven you wrong on that several times. Silicon Valley is a cheaper place to live than Manhattan, does that mean their schools are a lot better? Maybe there's a point of diminishing returns, beyond which, any more money spent souls be for other reasons than the public schools.

Quote:
Yes, given the context - using the word to describe a single family home... As another poster already said, taken in your context the usage of the word is redundant;
I meant it to be redundant. See my other post above.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
look, man, I've proven you wrong on that several times. Silicon Valley is a cheaper place to live than Manhattan, does that mean their schools are a lot better? Maybe there's a point of diminishing returns, beyond which, any more money spent souls be for other reasons than the public schools.
No, you haven't proven me wrong. I just provided a link to zillow - there is not one 3 bedroom condo listed for sale in the city of San Jose for 300,000 or less.

The quality of schools is a general indicator as to the quality of the area. Nice areas have nice schools. Crappy areas have crappy schools.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM

AND I DID NOT SAY 300k OR LESS.

I also said "maybe 600k".

If you're going to nitpick, at least quote me properly.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I paid more than that for a 1 bedroom condo, in a good part of downtown. And the public schools aren't great (but not really a concern for 1 bedroom units).
Yeah, we just sold a 1 bedroom condo in a marginal part of town for 250k... Not sure where this guy is getting his facts... he seems singular in his singular drive to convince everyone that living in San Jose is really cheap (redundancy added for emphasis).

Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM

97 posts, read 145,850 times
I agree foreign investors and of course hedge funds under dummy corps. A few regular folk too, although I don't know why when I can rent the same nice house for much cheaper than the mortgage.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
No, you haven't proven me wrong. I just provided a link to zillow - there is not one 3 bedroom condo listed for sale in the city of San Jose for 300,000 or less.
I posted several, earlier. And stop the nitpicking, you know what I meant.

Quote:
The quality of schools is a general indicator as to the quality of the area. Nice areas have nice schools. Crappy areas have crappy schools.
yes, but in Silicon Valley that would be East San Jose, East Palo Alto, etc. Not downtown, not south San Jose, not Milpitas, not Campbell, not Edenvale.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I posted several, earlier. And stop the nitpicking, you know what I meant.

You did? Where?

yes, but in Silicon Valley that would be East San Jose, East Palo Alto, etc. Not downtown, not south San Jose, not Milpitas, not Campbell, not Edenvale.
Nitpicking? How can I know what you meant?

Ah, you said dwelling, so I can buy a mobile home on a piece of land I don't even own?

Middle Class of San Jose! Rejoice! You can live in a mobile home on a piece of land you don't even own!

Why didn't you just come out and say mobile homes? Why did you use the word dwelling?

Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Nitpicking? How can I know what you meant?
just by reading what I wrote, and interpreting it the way an educated gentleman would. Since you are, I assume, such a person, it shouldn't be difficult.

I don't know why some are having difficulty, I am generally considered a very articulate person. But you can always ask.

Quote:
Ah, you said dwelling, so I can buy a mobile home on a piece of land I don't even own?
I meant a condo, but what does it matter whether you own the land underneath? It just makes it more expensive for no reason. You can spend a million dollars on a condo and not own the land, since others own condos on the same plot of land or in the same building. Naturally, if you want your own plot of land in a major City, that is going to be expensive.

And yes there are condos selling for over a million dollars in Silicon Valley. But there are others that are half that price, or less.and they are not in slums.Unless you are using a very strange definition of the word slum.

Quote:
Middle Class of San Jose! Rejoice! You can live in a mobile home on a piece of land you don't even own!
Well, if you have to own land to be in the middle economic class, that is going to greatly restrict who can enter. They aren't making more land on Earth. To me, the middle economic class means you have a permanent dwelling, be it apartment, condo or single family home.Land itself is expensive in developed areas and will only get more so over time.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:57 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
The houses are being bought up and neighborhoods taken over by foreigners paying cash. San Jose Mercury News did a story about the large number chinese coming here to buy up our luxury homes. You might also want to read the Real Estate section of the paper on regular basis.

Asian buyers scoop up 'bargain' million-dollar Bay Area homes - San Jose Mercury News
While I don't doubt that there are foreigners who come over here and paying cash for expensive homes, your one-dimensional "yellow peril" xenophobia is just tiresome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose