Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 PM

19 posts, read 112,663 times

Advertisements

Wisteria, I think you are just flat out rude. You handled that with no class (may be your first response was justifiable). If you don't like the 'vibe' of a place or the different opinons of others, go to a place where you feel more welcome and where people don't mind being trashed! Gesh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:43 AM

10 posts, read 41,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
people often confuse urban renewal for safe. pretty building dont cut it do they?
when i first came to san jose in 77, sleepy little place. now whole lot of have not and have people all livin in the same place, kinda like new orleans was huh?
creates a lota jealousy and envy. envy is a terrible thing.
we have a winner take all philosphopy in our system. we reward success.
but not being a winner is awful. no consulation prizes at all. people used to be proud of being poor but honest and hard working. that is no longer true, they see themselves in a very negative light. and that anger gets turned on others.
san jose doesn't have to be a rotten place, we all need to treat each other better huh?
Great commentary!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 AM

10 posts, read 41,041 times
Sometimes, I don't want to believe what people say about San Jose/The South Bay - But, then I read posts like the one below. I hope to God there aren't more douche bags like this one around.

Originally Posted by nemisis
I grew up in Campbell. It's still a nice city. Housing is VERY expensive..but still a nice city. San Jose is a much bigger city,with all the usual big city problems. In my experience,in both places there are some really rude,disrespectful blackies,Mexicans and Orientals.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:34 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Quote:
Cali2008:
Wisteria, I think you are just flat out rude. You handled that with no class (may be your first response was justifiable). If you don't like the 'vibe' of a place or the different opinons of others, go to a place where you feel more welcome and where people don't mind being trashed! Gesh...
I know I have been misinterpreted, and I like San Jose, I like California, I like the west and I like different kinds of people.

For those of you new to who I am, you might want to see some of my older posts, and see what I'm like. This was a weird thread, and I'm sorry it has disintegrated so much. I won't participate anymore, but wanted to just clarify that my writing has been misinterpreted.

Those who are not familiar with these cities/places/things, please -- as I have always recommended in previous posts -- visit/live in a place first. Sometimes first impressions are incorrect. People are people are people, and sometimes we like them, and sometimes we don't (I know you guys don't like me, but that's on some anonymous board....in person, you might find it quite different -- I just am not good at expressing myself in writing -- sorry...)

There are lots of nice people out here, and I hope that you get to meet some -- I know lots of them, and I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Good luck to those new to the area, and enjoy!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xThomasTroublex View Post
Sometimes, I don't want to believe what people say about San Jose/The South Bay - But, then I read posts like the one below. I hope to God there aren't more douche bags like this one around.

Originally Posted by nemisis
I grew up in Campbell. It's still a nice city. Housing is VERY expensive..but still a nice city. San Jose is a much bigger city,with all the usual big city problems. In my experience,in both places there are some really rude,disrespectful blackies,Mexicans and Orientals.
I find this to be more prevalent on the other side of town (mostly in the cities beyond SJ). I grew up on the eastside and live here now, and there's little evidence of these sentiments. All cultures blend and/or coexist over here.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:00 PM

19 posts, read 112,663 times
Default Sorry, I used a Wrong User name!

Wisteria, I appologize for mixing your user name! My comment below was addressed to Stinkybrain about beeing rude! Both of you had long posts and I used the wrong name by mistake. Sorry about that! I don't think you have anything to appologize for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2008 View Post
Wisteria (meant to say 'Stinkybrain'), I think you are just flat out rude. You handled that with no class (may be your first response was justifiable). If you don't like the 'vibe' of a place or the different opinons of others, go to a place where you feel more welcome and where people don't mind being trashed! Gesh...

Old 03-03-2008, 06:17 PM

132 posts, read 627,757 times
I'm a freshman at Santa Clara University and I'm from San Diego. I grew up up in a beautiful, small beach town called Encinitas (my house was in Leucadia) and I must say it was a great childhood. I was debating whether or not to go to UCSB or Santa Clara University and for some unknown reason, I chose SCU. I regret that decision immensely. San Jose/Santa Clara is perhaps (my opinion) one of the most boring, ugly and smoggy places I've ever been. There is nothing to do on the weekends, except look west and wish that you were over in Santa Cruz.

The people are very liberal, which I don't mind, but they're very in your face. You think that you should be able to keep the money you earn? "You greedy Republican!" I was under the impression that liberals are open to other people's views....guess not in the bay area. Bay area people are so stuck up, elitist and so obsessed with their so called 'liberal' way of life, it's disgusting.

On top of that, it's so flat and ugly that I honestly can't stand it.

I made the decision about a month ago that I'm leaving this hell-hole for good. Since I'm halfway from being a junior, I'm moving back to San Diego. I'll go to a community college and then transfer to a UC for the spring quarter.

Honestly I can't wait, I've gotten depressed living up here. The ego-centric, abhorrent population, the awful weather (it's freezing during the winter, nice for a month, then hot) and the atrocious air quality are more than enough reasons for bail out of this horrible city.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Quote:
SanDiegoTeen: San Jose/Santa Clara is perhaps (my opinion) one of the most boring, ugly and smoggy places I've ever been. There is nothing to do on the weekends, except look west and wish that you were over in Santa Cruz.
It's good you will have the opportunity to go back to San Diego. I can understand some of what you say, although I am not very familiar with San Jose, really -- I've certainly done things over there, and we go shopping there (better than what we have here), and there are some good events.

My daughter, a teen, will be going to San Jose State. Interestingly, she was accepted to San Diego, San Francisco, other schools (which I made her apply to, but she never wanted), and she refused -- outright refused -- to apply to UC Santa Cruz because she did not want to get in and have me "make" her go there! How's that for a switch?

It's interesting that as a teen from San Diego that you found San Jose too liberal, and my daughter finds San Diego too "uppity," as she put it. Both cities seem good for different things. Fortunately, we are lucky to be in California and have the opportunity to see so many other nice places!

I wanted her to take San Diego, but she really wanted San Jose. Of course, we have the advantage that we actually DO live in the Santa Cruz area, so if it ends up being bad for her, she can always come back over the hill and hang out here.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTeen View Post
maybe some east coast school.
Oh, the perfect place for hilly terrain and warm weather.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 PM

132 posts, read 627,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Oh, the perfect place for hilly terrain and warm weather.
Well, anything is better than the south bay. And BTW, the east coast is very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose