Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 PM

605 posts, read 1,164,951 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the demographic breakdowns of the countries largest cities and looking at the ethnic breakdown of major cities San Jose stands out for it's approx. 30% Asian population, larger than the Hispanic population and only 5 percentage points less than the white population.

I would think, but this is only a guess, that immigration is still growing San Jose's Asian population. I'm not sure whether Asians in San Jose have a higher birth rate than whites or not.

Does it seem reasonable that in the near future San Jose will have an Asian plurality? I think this is an interesting/important demographic event because it would mean the 10th largest city (by proper boundaries) in the United States had an Asian plurality. I think the largest city currently with an Asian plurality (majority, in fact) is Honolulu, which is 54th in population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 11:00 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
I think it's only a matter of time before that happens. Lots of Asian immigrants are drawn to the Silicon Valley employment market and will need housing.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 PM

865 posts, read 1,826,760 times
I know a lot of families who have immigrated from Asian (and are we counting Indians in that?), but as compared to other immigrant populations, again of the ones that I know, they have much lower birth rates. One or two children only. I know many families from that area and only one has three children. So, while I do think immigration from that part of the world is high, birth rates are not.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:37 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
I consider Indians to be Asian. Yes, they typically do have lower birth rates than some other immigrant groups.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Asian immigration rates are lower than 10 - 15 years ago. This is because there are so many more opportunities in Asia these days versus the ongoing low level malaise and slow growth in the US. Even with all the recent flash about social media, Apple, etc, the picture is no longer as compelling. A typical scenario these days is come here for school and maybe a new grad job, then back home and onto riches.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Asian immigration rates are lower than 10 - 15 years ago. This is because there are so many more opportunities in Asia these days versus the ongoing low level malaise and slow growth in the US. Even with all the recent flash about social media, Apple, etc, the picture is no longer as compelling. A typical scenario these days is come here for school and maybe a new grad job, then back home and onto riches.
Well, it's not quite that simple. Yes, compared with, say, 40-50 years ago - say for Taiwanese & Hong Kong immigrants - who came for school and pretty much stayed (few returned)...now you have relatively few who come from these groups because there are more opportunities at home and in mainland China.

However, today, there are still many who come from China and stay, particularly if they have children - who would have difficulty adjusting to live back in the old country. I'd say that the "sea turtles" who are more likely to return quickly are those who are relatively young, don't have families yet, it's easier for them.

But I think there is some truth to your comments about lower Asian immigration rates than a decade or two ago. Probably much of the growth in the Asian communities is organic, meaning that they are homegrown - family formation, moves from other US states and communities, etc.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I consider Indians to be Asian. Yes, they typically do have lower birth rates than some other immigrant groups.
Geographically, Indians are Asian...but phenotypically, they are closer to Caucasians, as are Pakistanis and Afghanistanis.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:27 PM

767 posts, read 1,742,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I was looking at the demographic breakdowns of the countries largest cities and looking at the ethnic breakdown of major cities San Jose stands out for it's approx. 30% Asian population, larger than the Hispanic population and only 5 percentage points less than the white population.

I would think, but this is only a guess, that immigration is still growing San Jose's Asian population. I'm not sure whether Asians in San Jose have a higher birth rate than whites or not.

Does it seem reasonable that in the near future San Jose will have an Asian plurality? I think this is an interesting/important demographic event because it would mean the 10th largest city (by proper boundaries) in the United States had an Asian plurality. I think the largest city currently with an Asian plurality (majority, in fact) is Honolulu, which is 54th in population.
San Jose has experienced a heavy influx of Vietnamese during the Vietnamese diaspora, so that partly explains the surge in your Asian population.

Due to the large Viet population, it's conceivable that more Vietnamese will be drawn here, but I think immigration from that group has mostly tapered off. Sure, Viet nationals still immigrate to CA and particularly to San Jose, but not in the numbers that they did immediately after the end of the Vietnam war.

I doubt that San Jose will ever have an Asian plurality- Indians included- for the simple reason that the Hispanics outbreed everyone from every race.

Whites generally have a lower birth rate than everyone else partly because when white people have children, they often have Asian or Black children who identifiy as members of those ethnic groups. I personally have met multiple Asian women who had white fathers and Asian mothers, self-identified black people of either gender who have a black father and a white mother, etc.

I think the demographic picture overall in San Jose will be a continual slow decline of whites, perhaps a small, slow incline of both eastern and southern Asians and a continual and significant incline of Hispanics.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:18 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,588,321 times
Smile ???

Might someday? I'm confused. I moved to San Jose 6 years ago...I've lived near Senter/Capital and Hostetter/Lundy. Once the senior citizens pass on, there's not going to be any more Whites.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 AM

53 posts, read 176,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I think the demographic picture overall in San Jose will be a continual slow decline of whites, perhaps a small, slow incline of both eastern and southern Asians and a continual and significant incline of Hispanics.
I'm just wondering where all the hispanics are going to live. Most of hispanic people are not particularly affluent and housing here is rather expensive (even East SJ is much more expensive compared to different cities). And the prices have been going up quite a bit recently. New rentals are then focused mostly on wealthy tenants so renting is hardly an option. The only solution I can see would be house sharing but I'm not sure why would anybody do it if they can just sell their house for some good money and move to a more affordable location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose