Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:40 AM

8 posts, read 15,510 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Hoping I could get some advice on where to move. I moved into NYC 2 months ago, but just landed my dream job in the Cupertino area. I am 23 years old and will be moving west without knowing anyone, or anything about the area.

From my research, it seems like San Jose, Campbell, or Mountain View would be the best places to live. I don't expect anything like NYC, but having restaurants in walking distance is important.. I also want to be able to meet other young professionals. (SF is too far of a commute for me)

Can you recommend actual communities to live in? I have looked at the Santana Row website, and really like the styling/inferiors/amenities of those apartments. Is it possible to get a 1BR similar to these under 2k? Where else should I look, and will I need to expand my budget?

Also, does anyone know of a golf league to join? I love playing and feel like I could meet people that way on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 06:50 PM

15 posts, read 33,301 times
Mountain View with Castro street would a good option as well.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I think Santana Row is a great idea. It's a tiny area - a shopping mall area, really - but very lively, and if you were within walking distance, you could go party and walk home

And looks like you can find that in your price range:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds "santana row" - craigslist

Another thought would be downtown San Jose. Also, in downtown SJ, you can grab lightrail to get around after going out, and not have to drive:

SF bay area apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

As far as finding golfing and other groups, check out meetups:

Meetups near San Jose, California - Meetup

Something you should check out is the secret bike group that takes over San Jose once a month or so. I managed an apt bldg in Santa Clara and one night I saw police lights and heard a bunch of hooting, and looked out my window to see, literally, about 1,000 bikes riding down the road! If I was younger, I'd be in the middle of that!

San José Bike Party | Building community through bicycling

Congrats on the job and welcome to CA!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:59 AM

197 posts, read 347,618 times
Campbell would be a great option for you. There are a ton of apartments (which means a lot of young professionals) within walking distance to downtown and there are a lot of great trails, restaurants etc. and it is close to Santa Cruz and several surrounding cities. It is a very walkable/bike friendly community as well. This is a great location. A very quick walk to downtown. 1 Bedroom Nestled Among Redwoods!

Some new'ish restaurants within walking distance

Liquid Bread-http://www.liquidbreadcampbell.com/

Mo's-http://www.moscampbell.com/

Opa-http://www.yelp.com/biz/opa-authentic-greek-cuisine-campbell#query:Opa%20Restaurant

Spread-http://www.spreadcampbell.com/

There are a ton more. There is also a huge Farmer's Market every Sunday where they close down the whole street downtown for the market..plus Oktoberfest, Big Bands and BBQ's, Wine walks, Beer walks etc etc

Good luck!

Old 12-25-2013, 12:07 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
For a "suburb," Mountain View has a remarkable variety of restaurants on Castro Street. Although I was sad to read that our old favorite Hunan Chili has closed. I'm not that familiar with the nearby apartment stock, though.

http://mountainviewdowntown.com/dining/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvnreddy View Post
Mountain View with Castro street would a good option as well.

Last edited by MaikeerinWA; 12-25-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 12-25-2013, 12:11 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I would recommend: DT San Jose, Santana Row, Mountain View, Campbell and also Los Gatos (further, but a nice downtown area).

Old 12-25-2013, 06:00 PM

8 posts, read 15,510 times
Thanks everyone. Does anyone have any recommendations for specific rental communities?

Old 12-25-2013, 09:12 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
I would suggest that you first read all of the threads asking about info for people moving to silicon valley for work - there are several every month, so dozens are available. Then, ask specific questions that haven't been answered in those other threads.

A good resource for figuring out where cities are physically located, driving times, and distances is : https://maps.google.com/

Old 12-25-2013, 09:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
A thread that might have answers for you :

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-j...p-schools.html

Old 12-26-2013, 07:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
But if there aren't any new posts, what on earth will we all do with our time? LOL! I have no problem answering the same questions, if they're sincere. Different people with different needs. And not everybody looking for answers has all the time in the world to research the old threads. So much easier to ask a question and get an answer.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and I'd ask how to spell something, and was told to go look it up lol! A serious waste of time when looking for how to spell something like zerox. I mean xerox... Or maybe zilafone, I mean xylaphone...I mean xylophone... How about bisickel, I mean bicycle... I guess it worked, as I'm a pretty good speller now, but I sure spent a lot of time in that dictionary.

Anyway, why not just answer them? Why else are we here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose