Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,916 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 22-year-old graduating college in May and potentially moving to San Jose from DC area to begin my first job. I am curious to know if San Jose is a city with a lot of young college graduates and fun things to do (good night life, restaurants, shopping, activities). I am hesitant to move out to a city that will not be filled with young people and lots of things to do. I do not want to be stuck in the suburbs. My ideal city is Chicago or DC..hoping someone can let me know what San Jose is like and whether or not I will like it as a college grad.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I don't want to scare you off, but here's my opinion. Having lived for 12 years on the peninsula, I would say that San Jose is just one big suburb. If you want fun, fun, fun, live in San Francisco or Berkeley. Now I will admit that a lot of folks find San Jose interesting, but I find it to be pretty sleepy. For me, it was a hassle to go up to San Francisco to do things but it was worth it compared to what there was to do in San Jose. What is attractive about San Jose are all the towns and activities around SJ.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,315 times
There's plenty to do in San Jose. However, no, it is not going to be like Chicago or D.C.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 PM

209 posts, read 257,425 times
San Jose has a night-life, but you need to be downtown, not enough hard rock and heavy metal, though!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedroppings View Post
San Jose has a night-life, but you need to be downtown, not enough hard rock and heavy metal, though!
Back Bar will be hard rock and heavy metal if I remember correctly. Caravan and Blank still heavy metal, no?

Old 12-31-2013, 10:58 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Back Bar will be hard rock and heavy metal if I remember correctly. Caravan and Blank still heavy metal, no?
Yes.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 AM

244 posts, read 592,498 times
Whatever, San Jose is fresh and for people who can see beyond established and plateaued cities...in 5 years people who chose not to move to SJ bc people led them to believe its biring and too suburban will wish they had. Fairenoughthough, where you live in j in present times will make all the difference; so stay central anc stay open minded...this city is on the cusp of being the next place to be

Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
this city is on the cusp of being the next place to be

Sorry. San Jose will always be in the shadow of San Francisco. And no, I don't live in SF and never have. It's just my observation from living on the peninsula. Why is there so much traffic on evening and weekends going from San Jose to San Francisco if San Jose is such a wonderful place to be?

I don't mean to troll, it's just my honest opinion. I would love for San Jose to be a more exciting city.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
San Francisco has no sun, and thus no shadow.

Keep talking in boring clichés while denouncing boredom, guy.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:53 AM

244 posts, read 592,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post

Sorry. San Jose will always be in the shadow of San Francisco. And no, I don't live in SF and never have. It's just my observation from living on the peninsula. Why is there so much traffic on evening and weekends going from San Jose to San Francisco if San Jose is such a wonderful place to be?

I don't mean to troll, it's just my honest opinion. I would love for San Jose to be a more exciting city.
RME...I said "on the cusp" mind you. But also, if you live on the peninsula then I would encourage you to actually see what is going on in San Jose (especially central) and not stick to preconcieved ideas of the San Jose you think you know and the San Jose of the 50's-early 2000's. The city is in evolution, and is in a stage of rapid urbanization and finally being acknoweldged on a wider more national spectrum. No one is comparing it to SF, and no one is saying that SF doesn't have more to offer on a global city level, you would be a fool to think otherwise, and naturally people will go from SJ to SF on weekends/nights out for some of these ammenities...but to say that SJ is a shadow of SF is unfair, and to say SJ does not have something of excitement to offer on its own is just being unaware. It's better to think of and appreciate the Bay Area as a dynamic collection of cities and towns that compliment eachother but are distinct in their own way and what they have to offer....we have 3 major cities within an hour from eachother and countless smaller cities and towns between them that offer their own charms...not to mention this all being in one of the geographically most beautiful and diverse places in North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose