Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times

Advertisements

What if you move OUT of the state? How long can you keep your registration and insurance from CA (I just had to pay mine here).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena View Post
The police did not have reasonable suspicion to stop her. They cannot stop you for out-of-state tags. You might just be a visitor/non-resident or military member/family with an out-of-state driver's license. In the east coast, out-of-state tags are very common, so no one blinks at the sight of them.
True enough... but I would imagine there is always some reason if law enforcement wanted to make a stop.

A little off topic.

A friend lives and works in OR and every time he visits his parents in WA gets pulled over... the last time he went to Home Depot and was loading up his truck with fence posts and boards to install a fence for his folks.

The officer said he noticed the OR plates and stopped him because he saw him loading up at Home Depot... after he explains, he is free to go.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
What if you move OUT of the state? How long can you keep your registration and insurance from CA (I just had to pay mine here).
Depends on the state you move to.

Many people do not realize that the police at night do more than eating doughnuts. They cruse hotel parking lots and neighborhoods and record license plate numbers. They know how long you have been parking on the block.

They will mark you to be pulled over, ask you where you are going. Once you say to work you are screwed.

I have seen and talked to a lot of people who try to justify their out of state plates that they live somewhere else. Usually it has been a long time since their return.

I have been hit by a few autos with out of state plates, not once have I been able to collect on these dead beats. CHP has no forwarding address. Surprise!

Old 09-17-2011, 01:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,256 times
Default Can Anyone help on Estimating taxes for car purchases

Hello, I am a California resident and I am looking to purchase a new car for about $35K and would like to know if it is a good idea to purchase a new car from another state. I was told I could save close to a $1K or more if I purchase a car out of state. Does anyone know if this is true how does this work when I have to register my new car in CA? Help...

Old 09-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdalporto View Post
Hello, I am a California resident and I am looking to purchase a new car for about $35K and would like to know if it is a good idea to purchase a new car from another state. I was told I could save close to a $1K or more if I purchase a car out of state. Does anyone know if this is true how does this work when I have to register my new car in CA? Help...
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

California will still charge you CA Tax less what you paid in the other State if you just buy it and bring it here.

This will not apply if you have owned the car and had it licensed in your home state and then move here 365 days after you bought it.

Also, there are prohibitions if the vehicle is new and does not meet CA emission requirements.

If this was not the case, everyone would head to Oregon to buy a car because there is no Tax in Oregon.

If you are active duty military... the rules are different because you can choose any state as your home state...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-17-2011 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 02:39 PM

30 posts, read 88,684 times
Aloha Lynn,
Not sure if I can you you the best answer as I myself am from Hawaii and been living In California for a year. Just recently my mom bought a 1995 Toyota Camry for me to use. At the DMV the paper asks how much did the car cost. When my mom went to pay for the registration, she was charged $200. Boy was I shocked. And I use to complain about the registration fees in Hawaii having gone up and being charged about $80 for my 2000 Xterra. I won't ever complain again about the fees there.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:41 PM

30 posts, read 88,684 times
Oops didn't notice Lynn Lees post was from 2009. Sorry

Old 09-17-2011, 03:04 PM

The absolute minimum in my county for a vehicle with near zero dollar value is still about $90 plus what ever may be required for emission testing and repairs plus mandatory insurance.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,552 times
I cannot find the 120 day rule on the dmv website (Can anyone help?).

I realize the laws may have changed since 2007 as it is now 2013. My situation is similar to thundersnow, and it seems sonaratt got it right.

It seems to be 12 months and older (not 120 days) vehicles do not have to pay use tax like it says here:
Registration Related Fees

I moved from NH (0% sales tax) to CA on February 11, 2013 when I got my new job. I bought my new car on May 28, 2012 for $15,825 in NH. Less than 12 months ago = big tax (that is, unless anyone can find me this 120 day rule.)

Old 08-30-2013, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,446 times
I just moved to O.C. from Texas. Yesterday, I registered my Jeep Grand Cherokee that I purchased in Texas and got hit with a $2271 tax bill. Totally outrageous and unacceptable. The DMV clerk, who happened to be Black, was barely understandable and rude. I about fell over when she told me I owed over two grand. The DMV was packed with people and a line going out of the door full of mostly low income people. I said to the clerk "Lucky I have the money sitting in my checking account (can only pay by debit card or check). What about all of these other people? Most appear not earning $2,000 per month much least have that money sitting around in their checking account. How do they pay for their car registration?" She just gave me a dirty look then told me that I was holding up the line. I had waited 3.5 hours. There were 14 people ahead of me and they spent an average of 15 minutes per transaction. My transaction took about 5 minutes. The others ahead of me seemed to have a long running conversation, red tape, problems, discussion, etc. Yet, she accused me of holding up the line. LOL.

California has exorbitant cost of living for those of us who actually work and pay taxes. This state would not be going bankrupt if they weren't chasing away business and tax payers. Instead, they seem to reward those who are not productive and a burden on society. That's not being compassionate or helpful. That's being stupid, irresponsible and reckless. I guess that I fit into the first category (stupid) for moving here. Just consider me a sap who is paying the way for deadbeats, Illegals and other assorted Obama suck ups. Folks, the State of California is run by hardline liberal Democrats. At one time, CA had the 7th most powerful economy in the world. Today, for all practical purposes, are bankrupt. This is what happens when Democrats control things. Look at Democrat controlled Detroit, Chicago, Oakland, LA, NY, Newark, Birmingham, etc. Every city and state run by Democrats is a disaster. Not opinion. It is fact.

Last edited by libsRnuts; 08-30-2013 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: addition and type-o's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose