Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 11:41 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaningfizz View Post
I don't think there are any plans to move the team or build a new arena. The Tank has a lot more in common with the new arenas than the old ones, like in Detroit or Nassau, and I can see it being used for another 10-15 years .I also don't see the city letting it go. Downtown lives and dies with the Sharks. When the players were locked out, a lot of downtown businesses struggled because they missed out on the 50 nights each season where 15,000+ people come out.
One of my points was that the arena has a designed lifetime, between 30-40 years. It has a lot of life left, being only 24 years in, but that life becomes increasingly expensive and, regardless, the next 5-10 years are the appropriate time to start planning a replacement facility.

Keep in mind that replacement does not necessarily suggest any except a new facility is needed, and says nothing about where or the value of it in a specific location. If you need a new house because you've outgrown your current one, does that necessarily imply you'll leave the county? No, it doesn't, and neither does acknowledging that the Tank isn't going to last forever.

To my eyes, it makes sense to put it where the ballpark was planned to be built. The lot dimensions are adequate for an arena and it would keep it close to downtown and central to the Diridon station area's development. And, by doing that it would allow for the reconnection of Montgomery, the connection of W St John to Cahill, and development on that newly available land.

Another alternative would be to build the new facility on the other side of the street, in the area bounded by Santa Clara, Cahill, Autumn, and the LRT tracks. This would facilitate improves to Cahill and its connection to Autumn/Bird at Park, creating a triplet a la downtown Campbell (ie, Civic Center, Campbell Ave, and Orchard City Drive) with a highly potentially profitable retail area on Montgomery of the same kind as in Campbell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:47 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Unfortunately for the area, DTSJ lacks an easy and direct connection for non-drivers to the retail on Coleman. The Coleman rail OC isn't exactly inviting to pedestrians or cyclists, and the alternatives are round-about. But some of the success of a densifying DTSJ requires access to the Coleman retail without a car as a pre-requisite.
I believe the new Autumn extension from Coleman to Julian will resolve this issue. Once it is finished, and I believe work is to be picked up again this summer, then Downtown will have extended to Coleman Market Center. Also, the Guadalupe Trail can still be used for Coleman access.

What is the Coleman rail OC you are referring to?

Old 03-24-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
One of my points was that the arena has a designed lifetime, between 30-40 years. It has a lot of life left, being only 24 years in, but that life becomes increasingly expensive and, regardless, the next 5-10 years are the appropriate time to start planning a replacement facility.

Keep in mind that replacement does not necessarily suggest any except a new facility is needed, and says nothing about where or the value of it in a specific location. If you need a new house because you've outgrown your current one, does that necessarily imply you'll leave the county? No, it doesn't, and neither does acknowledging that the Tank isn't going to last forever.

To my eyes, it makes sense to put it where the ballpark was planned to be built. The lot dimensions are adequate for an arena and it would keep it close to downtown and central to the Diridon station area's development. And, by doing that it would allow for the reconnection of Montgomery, the connection of W St John to Cahill, and development on that newly available land.
That would definitely work, and that could free up the Arena's own area for the ballpark itself, since it's bigger there where the Arena is (as long as we get rid of Montgomery and the associated parcels between it and the current Autumn.

But I think the best course is to renovate the arena and add more seats and amenities, but keeping it intimate--the Tank is generally ranked Top 5 NHL arena for a reason. During renovation they can play at Oracle Arena (if it's still around in 10 years) or slum it in with the Warriors in SF for a season or two (yuck!).

Old 03-24-2015, 04:18 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
That would definitely work, and that could free up the Arena's own area for the ballpark itself, since it's bigger there where the Arena is (as long as we get rid of Montgomery and the associated parcels between it and the current Autumn.

But I think the best course is to renovate the arena and add more seats and amenities, but keeping it intimate--the Tank is generally ranked Top 5 NHL arena for a reason. During renovation they can play at Oracle Arena (if it's still around in 10 years) or slum it in with the Warriors in SF for a season or two (yuck!).
I wonder if they could have another version of Post St. near Diridon, in the last as a pedestrian path (Similar to Paseo de San Antonio) up to Guadalupe River, since the blocks are pretty especially the parking lots by Delmas they could be broken up making it easier to walk around.

This proposal was nice:

Old 03-31-2015, 12:27 PM

Default SV Biz Journal: "Live across the street from Whole Foods? Another residential project in the works near Diridon"

Quote:
How’s this for a real estate trifecta: a parcel surrounded by San Jose’s new Whole Foods, transit-rich Diridon Station and SAP Center.
That’s where developer Dan Hudson is setting his sights on a new mixed-use residential project. His Hudson Companies turned in plans this month for a seven-story building at 138 Stockton Ave. On tap: 166 units and just under 9,000 square feet of retail space.
Quote:
The 1.7-acre project, designed by Sunnyvale-based LPMD Architects, is the first development in decades contemplated for the block, but it has company in the area. At 785 The Alameda, Mill Creek Residential Trust and Chandler Pratt & Partners are planning more than 150 residential units along with retail and office space. Chandler Pratt said at the time that the Whole Foods was a big draw.
SVBJ article

Last edited by darkeconomist; 03-31-2015 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 04:22 PM

Pop-up retail on San Pedro (PDF)

Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:

What is the Coleman rail OC you are referring to?
Coleman Av over Basset. Fast vehicle traffic, steep, no cycling infrastructure to visually or physically separate bikes from cars, and no equivalently straightforward alternative to speak of.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Coleman Av over Basset. Fast vehicle traffic, steep, no cycling infrastructure to visually or physically separate bikes from cars, and no equivalently straightforward alternative to speak of.
Oh that one. I agree 100%. Hopefully the San Pedro housing project nets the City some money to do something about that overpass.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Oh that one. I agree 100%. Hopefully the San Pedro housing project nets the City some money to do something about that overpass.
A bike path along the UPRR ROW, at least between N San Pedro and Autumn, would help.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:17 AM

BAE moves to south SJ ahead of Coleman Highline project on the former FMC property just outside of the SJ downtown area

Quote:
leased 161,718 square feet at 6331 and 6311 San Ignacio Ave
Quote:
"We've seen some positive news, and its' emerging as a promising employment center," said Liccardo, who estimated headcount at BAE at about 500. "It’s been slow going, but there is a recognition by many employers that they’re as tired as their employees are of 90 minutes commutes. Edenvale offers an opportunity to bring the workplace closer to home for thousands of San Jose residents."
Quote:
"We're seeing the effects of a very tight market," he said. "You have the pressure of 9 percent vacancy (elsewhere)." Those that make the move, he said, find more to like than cheaper product. "The groups down there love being down there. They don't want to go anywhere."

Coleman Highline:

Last edited by darkeconomist; 04-08-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose