Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:20 PM

10 posts, read 17,236 times

Advertisements

ARRRGGHHH!!!!

I have had it up to here with this winter in Minneapolis. I gotta get out of here before I lose my mind!

As it turns out, I have a business trip scheduled for Tuesday & Wednesday, February 18-19th in San Jose (flying into San Francisco). I'm wondering if it might be worth it to come out a few days early (and have DW join me) to spend some time in Northern California.

My only issue is that I know that mid-February can be iffy weather-wise but I also know that it can't be as bad as what we're seeing in Minnesota right now!

Any Californians have an advice/suggestions for what might be a worthwhile 4-day weekend getaway in NorCal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 03:26 PM

865 posts, read 1,826,917 times
LOL...that's the week families with children, here, make a mass exodus for the snow as most schools are closed.

If you are wine-drinkers, how about the Napa/Wine Country area? Or, if it were me and I lived in Minnesota, I'd go for something Coastal like Carmel, or a few different coastal cities.

There's always San Francisco, though it can be damp and overcast and if you are trying to get away from that it might not be your cup of tea.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Well, fortunately for you (not so much for those of us who live here and have already been through droughts before), the weather throughout all of CA has been atypically warm and dry so even if February brings rain, the weather will still be much better than what you've been dealing with.

It really depends on what sorts of things you and your wife like to do. There are plenty of "4 day weekend options" for you guys but it really depends on what you're into so we can give good recommendations. What is it you guys would want to do while in the area?

On a side note, my mom was born and lived her first few years of life in Minneapolis. She says she'd love to move back someday. I promptly remind her of what the winter weather is like there and she always blows me off like it's nothing.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Healdsburg in Sonoma County....Even if rainy or overcast, it would be a lovely place to base yourself. Healdsburg is built around a Spanish plaza, but is smaller than sonoma city and really lovely-upscale and quaint, with wine shops around the plaza if you want to taste, along with cafes, many fine restaurants, local shops, etc. Plus, there are wineries all around the outskirts of town. It's really an accessible little town with amazing amenities for its sizes. Plus, it's a picture perfect square-clean, charming. I MUCH prefer Sonoma county to Napa- b/c there are many more local and unique/eclectic things to see and do than just wine. Napa's just wine, for the most part, and doesn't have the same charm, IMO.

Otherwise, as suggested, perhaps driving down to Carmel/Monterrey?
Either would be doable as a 4 day weekend.
Or, for likely sunny and warmer weather, Southwest Airlines and fly into LA (visit Santa Barbara or Laguna Niguel) or San Diego (stay in Del Mar La Jolla). Though, it's been raining on and off in San Diego the last few days-and cold! I had to use the space heater tonight! Hooray, though, b/c we really needed the rain/moisture.

Good luck and enjoy!
ps-I love Minneapolis! But I've only visited in the winter....

Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 17,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
It really depends on what sorts of things you and your wife like to do. There are plenty of "4 day weekend options" for you guys but it really depends on what you're into so we can give good recommendations. What is it you guys would want to do while in the area?
Short answer:

Get some real sunshine on our faces!

Seriously, we would just like to enjoy some time out of the cold. We like a nice pretty drive and just being out and about. So far you guys have made some great suggestions, including:

* Sonoma/Healdsburg
* Carmel/Monterey sounds extremely promising!
* I'd like get to Stanford one afternoon just to see the campus -- I've heard great things about it.

Keep the suggestions coming -- I really appreciate them!

Last edited by IotaNet; 02-05-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 01:17 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
It's definitely worth taking a few extra days. The Bay Area weather, even in Feb, is usually mild. Normally we have a rainy season, but not this year. As for what to do, I'd suggest
  • going to the coastal towns along Hwy 1: Santa Cruz, Monterrey. Even suntanning on the beach is do-able. We were in Monterrey two weeks ago and it was 70 degrees
  • hanging around San Francisco of course
  • touring Napa Valley

Old 02-05-2014, 03:56 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Going as far as Sonoma or Napa on a short weekend would require a lot of driving. For shorter trips closer to San Jose, visit San Francisco, visit a redwood state park such as Henry Cowell Redwoods SP near Felton or Big Basin Redwoods SP near Boulder Creek. Both are a short drive from San Jose. Henry Cowell State park would be the easiest to get to. You could also drive to Santa Cruz and visit Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Amusement Park - California's Classic Beach Experience closed in the winter but the rides might be open on the weekends. You can walk around on the boardwalk and have a seafood lunch on the pier. A nice ride would be along the coast from Santa Cruz to San Francisco (about 75 miles) on Hwy 1. Lots of places to stop and walk on the beach or visit Pigeon Point lighthouse PACIFIC COAST

Daytime temps recently have been in the mid 50s.

Last edited by humboldtrat; 02-05-2014 at 04:12 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 07:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,314 times
Would it kill anybody to suggest some places in San Jose itself for OP?

I know it's fashionable to hate on San Jose around here...but a little bit of love for the largest city in Northern California shouldn't get all of your pants stained full of s!ht, would it?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:47 AM

762 posts, read 2,029,902 times
Just head on over to the coast and take in the view. Weather is always mild, no worries

Old 02-06-2014, 12:40 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Would it kill anybody to suggest some places in San Jose itself for OP?

I know it's fashionable to hate on San Jose around here...but a little bit of love for the largest city in Northern California shouldn't get all of your pants stained full of s!ht, would it?
So why didn't you suggest some places in San Jose for the OP to visit? I couldn't think of any besides the Winchester House or Santana Row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose