Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:04 PM

26 posts, read 96,144 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are a family of 4 (1 child will be a Sophomore in HS and the 2nd a 6th grader). Recently accepted a job offer to move to the Bay Area. We are considering the San Jose area, specifically in the Saratoga HS, Lynbrook HS or Monta Vista HS areas. Hardly seem to find any inventory of houses on Zillow in those areas. Is it just the time of the year we are looking or is it always like this with houses in those neighborhoods? A realtor we talked to suggested that houses in those areas, are getting bought with cash. Is that really the case?

Having lived in Iowa for 19 years in a nice house (4 BR,3 BA), the idea of renting seems a bit weird, but for those schools we might have to go that route. Any advice/suggestions from the forum members?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 02:13 PM

25 posts, read 51,300 times
Yes, all cash is quite common around here. What price range are you looking to buy? The inventory available depends on that too.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Wow! Well I think max of $1.5MM.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:23 PM

That will get you a condo if you are lucky in the school districts you mentioned. The inventory for those tend to be very low and are snapped up very quickly when they do appear. Single family homes with 1750 sq ft start in the $1.8M range and those are the older homes usually.

If you definitely only want these schools, your only option might be to rent.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:32 PM

Wow! Might have to look at other places then! Thanks for the info though!

Old 02-07-2014, 01:10 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times
Yes, all cash, especially in those areas. Sorry. It doesn't mean it's impossible, it just mean you may need a lot of patience. You could rent a corporate apartment and wait it out.

Also redfin is better than zillow, imho. For rentals check craigslist. For neighborhood safety check crimereports.com

Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM

110 posts, read 269,971 times
I moved here 2.5 years ago with the plan to buy and am still renting :-)

As said above even $1.5m in some areas wont get you a lot and if it does you wont have a big house with lots of land. The inventory is also low so you can end up in bidding wars still to get houses in certain zip codes.

Also gives you the flexibility to move around if you want to which I like, I know renting is 'dead' money but its a necessary evil as you have to live somewhere.

If I was I would scope the place out renting for a year and find something you really like instead of just buying quickly in a zip code just to get in it and then not really loving the house.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 PM

Here is one option that might work for you, if you don't mind the commute -

Buy a home in Los Gatos mountains. There are some very nice properties at the price point you mentioned. 95033 homes are zoned for Los Gatos high but residents in the district can apply during open enrollment to transfer to Saratoga high. Your daughter may have to attend LG high for a year if you miss the open enrollment window, but that's not such a terrible fate.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:40 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,669 times
Is Saratoga HS really such a draw after that horrible bullying/suicide incident? I cannot imagine sending my kids there.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
Is Saratoga HS really such a draw after that horrible bullying/suicide incident? I cannot imagine sending my kids there.
Uh oh! What incident? I didn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose