Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,360 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!
I am going to San Francisco next summer, and I need to plan a few things. I am from France but I speak English fluently. I'm going to my aunt's who lives in Los Altos; I'm doing a backpacking camp in July, but I haven't planned anything in August yet. I'll probably go around San Jose and San Francisco. Could you guys tell me more about public transports? Are they efficient? expensive?
I'd also like to do something else, and this is where I need your help. I thought about tutoring in French, however I'm only seventeen, would that be a problem? Do you think I could easily do that? That's only a vague idea so I'm opened to your ideas. I'd just like to do something so I don't get bored. I'm not willing to pay for this "extra activity" though, as my camp is very expensive. I also thought about volunteering.
Also, if you have any advice on anything, I'd be glad to hear it!
Thank you!!!
Juliette
ps: I'm staying for 6 weeks, and I'll be free for 3 weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 03:21 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,660 times
Will you be limited to doing day trips (ie, your base will be out of the home in Los Altos everyday) or can you stay in hotels/motels during your trip?

Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 PM

Yes, I'll be limited to day trips! :/

Old 02-27-2014, 11:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
I suggest that you read threads from the last 6 months or so. I have many times posted info about Santa Clara Valley Transporation Authority (SJ-area public transportation) and caltrain.com (train to SF). Also, you should get a https://www.clippercard.com/ (single card that lets you use almost all Bay Area public transportation fairly seamlessly).

There's are threads about stuff to see in and around SJ (although that one may be older than 6 months), car rental info, stuff further out such as Big Basin or Muir Woods (for redwoods). Santa Cruz, etc. Although, being 17 and French, I expect that you don't have a driver's license (one used to have to wait until 18 to get a driver's license in France - that may have changed).

Old 02-28-2014, 12:00 AM

Oh, I should have mentioned that Los Altos, being a very rich area, doesn't have a lot of convenient bus service. The VERY rich areas (Los Altos Hills) have none, and there are only a few lines in the "lower" areas. A good solution would be to borrow a bicycle - both the VTA and CalTrain have great bike-friendly service (racks on the front of the bus for bikes, cars for bikes on the train). So you bicycle to the bus stop, take the bus to close to where you want to go, then bike the last kilometer or so. It's rather efficient, and a lot quicker than walking or waiting for a correspondance.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:13 AM

No, I don't have a diver's license indeed. You said that I could bike the last kilometer, does that mean I can take my bike on the bus??
I'm about to read your threads, I'll let you know if I have any other question
Thank you!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 AM

How much does a clippercard cost? I couldn't really find the information on the website. It says you have to add a certain amount of money, but doesn't say how much.
My aunt lives in Los Altos (not Los Alros Hills). I went there a few years ago and I remember there was a train station.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:25 PM

All VTA busses have (or are supposed to have) a bike rack on the front of the bus. You put the bike on the rack, get on the bus, then take your bike down off the rack when you exit the bus (exit the front of the bus and tell the driver that you have to get your bike, or he might not remember and just drive off with your bike).

CalTrain also encourages use of bikes ( Bicycles ). The closest CalTrain stations to Los Altos are San Antonio (Mountain View) and California St. (Palo Alto). CalTrain runs to San Francisco and San Jose (and cities in between).

Concerning ClipperCard ... You can buy one at a vendor, I don't remember for how much. BUT, if you order one on-line using the website and set up "AutoLoad" when you order, the card itself is free (you only pay for the "credit" loaded onto the card). All this is detailed on their web site, on the "Order a Card" page : https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperW...nkOrderCard.do . A clipper card will allow you to take CalTrain, Muni in SF, and VTA in SJ (and many other public transports, such as BART).

I've actually had a clipper card for over two years, even though I've only used it once. It makes taking the train a LOT easier, since you don't have to wait in line to buy a ticket.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
The metro is pretty efficient, but the bus transports are not. I think you have to maintain a couple bucks on the clipper card, and just add money when you need to use it.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:41 PM

By "the metro", do you mean the public transportation in Paris?

Once you get the card for free (via "autoLoad") you can cancel the automatic refill. Once that is done, there are no requirements at all for the card. Well, except that if you dont have enough money on the card, and no 'autofill' , then you miss the bus or train or whatever if you can't refill it fast enough. I personally see no reason not to have autofill - it's a convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose