Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:08 AM

30,876 posts, read 36,854,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
A one bedroom apartment in downtown San Jose is about 1000 a month.
Wrong. I pay $985 for a downtown studio (no air conditioning, no washer/dryer in building, no amenities whatsoever, electrical outlets need a major upgrade). The building is old and has character & is decently maintained, but no frills. I've been here for 5.5 years and they've only raised the rent twice in that time. They easily could have raised it 3 or 4 times. I'm absolutely sure my rent is below market. Most landlords are greedier than mine.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 03-14-2014 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
San Jose is a big city whose citizens tend to have a small-town mentality. Basically every homicide gets about 5 days worth of news here. To me, it's a good thing--it means the citizens are always trying hard to understand and stem the violence from getting out of hand.

In Detroit, all that violence gets you a shrug...
^^This is correct^^.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I work in a private company and get all of those things except for all the paid holidays (I think we just get 9 of those). And we're not expected to work 50 hours a week either, but sometimes it happens.

I'm not saying a gov't job isn;t a good thing if you get one, but there are private companies in SV offering competitive benefit packages too.
Are you saying you get 12 sick days in addition to paid vacation? I'm surprised to hear that. I knew many SV companies have pretty good paid time off, but I pretty much though additional sick leave was unheard of.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I don't think lengthening one's commute to save money is a good idea.
Me, either. And it probably won't save any money when you factor in gas and wear & tear on your car.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,362,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Are you saying you get 12 sick days in addition to paid vacation? I'm surprised to hear that. I knew many SV companies have pretty good paid time off, but I pretty much though additional sick leave was unheard of.
Yes it used to be all just PTO but now it's accrued sick days which accumulate at about that rate and then separately tracked PTO. In my case having vacation days available on paper is not the problem its finding a decent time to step away from the work for a bit that is… that's the tradeoff.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,056,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Wrong. I pay $985 for a downtown studio [...] I'm absolutely sure my rent is below market. Most landlords are greedier than mine.
It is not below market at all. I lived in a one bedroom apartment in downtown San Jose in 2013, our total rent was $966. None of us were using section 8 or anything of that nature; we could afford it because we had three people to share the rent.

The closer you get to 1st, the more expensive it is. The better the features of the unit, the more expensive it is.

But $966 yields a perfectly livable apartment.

And, if you make 85,000 dollars a year, you can afford to spend more than that.

So, quit whining, people. Seesh.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 03-16-2014 at 12:48 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 AM

So I was going to post this earlier, but half the time, the server won't let me post on here from my mobile device; it claims I'm not signed in, even though I did, in fact, sign in.

Anyway, I'm on my desktop PC right now, so I know this will work.

I think it was in this thread where I had suggested living in downtown San Jose and going to Lockheed on light rail, correct?

Someone said that would take about an hour. They are exactly right.

However, I just wanted to point out, for that hour, you are not driving. So no road rage. A nice relaxing ride. People who insist on driving everywhere forget this very important point. You're in stop and go traffic for who knows how long, commuting to work, getting quite frustrated. Whereas I just kick back on public transit, and laugh at people who feel they must drive even though they could do what I'm doing, lol.

It's also "green" and cheaper than driving a car everywhere. I pay $70 a month for public transit. How much do you pay to drive to work each month?

Plus, VTA Light Rail has wifi. Not only wifi, but high speed wifi, based on 4G cell phone technology. So they don't restrict streaming of high resolution video or music.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeya View Post
This is for me and one dependent, BTW.
Yeah, isn't it free if you're single with no dependents?

Besides, if you make $85,000 a year you can afford $100 a month for health care, come on!!! You could pay 3 or 4 times that very easily.

My healthcare is free because I am a veteran of the US Navy submarine service and I am low income right now. I support free healthcare for all US citizens who have a low income.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:06 PM

158 posts, read 358,108 times
Quote:
Yeah, isn't it free if you're single with no dependents?
Absolutely not! Just a bit cheaper. I don't know why you're under the impression that private sector employees get free health care. Maybe in Canada...

I will say on this topic that the health plan at my job and previous jobs (all similar) are very good deals. When you compare to what health care would cost on your own, it's a screaming deal. The coverage is great and the co-pays are low. By no means am I complaining about my health care or anything like that.

Quote:
Besides, if you make $85,000 a year you can afford $100 a month for health care, come on!!! You could pay 3 or 4 times that very easily.
Agreed. I also am scratching my head why people think $85k is somehow struggling to survive.

Quote:
My healthcare is free because I am a veteran of the US Navy submarine service and I am low income right now. I support free healthcare for all US citizens who have a low income.
A noble idea. I will reiterate though, that free health care does not happen for private sector employees. That sort of thing is only for maybe public sector employees, veterans like you, and then I suppose social services recipients and folks down on their luck. If you're just a regular worker, you're paying for health care one way or another.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
It is not below market at all. I lived in a one bedroom apartment in downtown San Jose in 2013, our total rent was $966. None of us were using section 8 or anything of that nature; we could afford it because we had three people to share the rent.

The closer you get to 1st, the more expensive it is. The better the features of the unit, the more expensive it is.

But $966 yields a perfectly livable apartment.

And, if you make 85,000 dollars a year, you can afford to spend more than that.

So, quit whining, people. Seesh.
Wow, I thought $966 was unheard of. I bet they charge the new tenants over $1000. I remember shopping for a studio on S 3rd St. over 5 years ago and they wanted $915 for a studio even then (with only street parking).

I live on 5th in an old building with no amenities (but I do have a parking space).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose