Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times

Advertisements

Is there one?

I asked 24 Hour Fitness and they said no they do not provide towels. I'm just looking for a towel to dry off after taking a shower after a workout. In the past I have never used gyms but I'm interested in joining one. I'm greatly out of shape since getting out of the Navy (I weighed 135 then, 170 now, and I'm 5'7").

What about Ballys? Or that one by the San Jose international airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:16 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Is there one?

I asked 24 Hour Fitness and they said no they do not provide towels. I'm just looking for a towel to dry off after taking a shower after a workout. In the past I have never used gyms but I'm interested in joining one. I'm greatly out of shape since getting out of the Navy (I weighed 135 then, 170 now, and I'm 5'7").

I don't know how much you're willing to pay, but Club One in Santana Row has towels.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:50 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,793 times
How hard is it to toss a towel in your gym bag in the morning?
I'd chose a gym based on facilities, equipment, atmosphere, location, and price. Not on whether or not they have towels.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:11 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,041,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Is there one?

Super Sport 24 Hour Fitness locations offer towel service.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:11 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,863,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Super Sport 24 Hour Fitness locations offer towel service.
Yeah, but there are so few of them - one in Sunnyvale, and one in downtown San Jose IIRC.

Most are the lower "Sport" and "Active", which do not provide towel service. We've got All-Club Super Sport memberships, and have two Super Sport gyms located near our vacation house in Las Vegas, but nothing but Sport and Active near us here. This despite the fact that incomes are so much higher here.

I haven't found a better gym in either location that has reciprocal membership privileges in the other city, so for now we've stuck with 24 Hour Fitness. One of the nicer gyms in Las Vegas wanted to charge us $20/month to keep our memberships inactive for the 9-10 months a year we weren't there, which was a total non-starter.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 PM

Well, the reason I asked is that right now I have 7 towels that I wash once a week. It's a pain, because I have to take up both washers in the apartment complex to wash 4 in one and 3 in the other; more than 4 and I would have to run the dryer for a second cycle. There are two washers and two dryers. So I throw the towels from the two washers into the two dryers to dry them. So double the towels would be double the annoyance, lol.

I guess I could just only take one shower each day, after working out at the gym, as opposed to also taking a shower in the morning. But it would be a lot easier if the gym had towels that they wash for the members.

It's not a big deal, but it's good information, thanks.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 03-31-2014 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: adding clarifying sentences

Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
YMCA has some nice, very popular gyms in places like Saratoga and Cupertino that provide unlimited towels to patrons. We know - folks in our day programs are the ones who do the laundry.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,597 times
I think the Bay Club does (I've been there a few times as a member's guest) but their monthly membership is pricy.

OP, if you have 7 towels that you wash once a week, it sounds like you use each towel only once before washing it. I've always felt that if you use a towel after showering and washing your hair, the towel is clean enough to be used again. I tend to use mine 2-3 times before I wash them (hanging up to dry between uses).

Saves a lot of water this way, too. Perhaps you could continue to use the existing 7 towels?

For example, if you're going to the gym every day:

Monday: Shower with towel #1 in the AM. Let towel hang to dry. Shower with towel #2 at the gym.
Tuesday: Shower with towel #3 in the AM. Let towel hang to dry. Shower with towel #1 at the gym.
Wednesday: Shower with towel #4 in the AM. Let towel hang to dry. Shower with towel #3 at the gym.
Thursday: Shower with towel #5 in the AM. Let towel hang to dry. Shower with towel #4 at the gym.

And so on. Basically, every day at the gym, use the previous morning's towel from home, so you're getting 2 uses out of each towel.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
OP, if you have 7 towels that you wash once a week, it sounds like you use each towel only once before washing it. I've always felt that if you use a towel after showering and washing your hair, the towel is clean enough to be used again. I tend to use mine 2-3 times before I wash them (hanging up to dry between uses).

Saves a lot of water this way, too. Perhaps you could continue to use the existing 7 towels?
True. I did that on one deployment on the submarine so I didn't have to bring as many towels.

Having towels at the gym that they wash would be ideal though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose