Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:11 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

I've been dispensing some advice on this forum recently, but now it's my turn to ask a question! I really want to move from my current 1br apartment, mostly because the rent is getting a bit ridiculous (also the neighborhood is rather boring). It was around $1390/mo when I moved in three years ago, and now they're asking me to sign a new lease @ over $1700/mo. My deadline is up, so I'll have to sign that lease this week, but could always break it if/when I find something better - they only charge a penalty if it's not rented within 30 days, and these units go FAST because of their dog-friendly policy.

I would love to live in downtown SJ, Campbell, or Mountain View, but can't find anything dog-friendly for under $1500ish. I also considered moving back up north, as anywhere between Palo Alto and Daly City would be commute-able, but again there isn't anything fitting my criteria right now. Sooooo, what about east San Jose? I found this one complex that takes larger dogs (mine is almost 50lbs, plus I have 3 cats & many snakes), and they rent 900sf TWO bedrooms for only $1370. When I look at it in "street view" on Google maps, it looks a bit run-down but not super "ghetto." It's near Story Rd and McLaughlin Ave, very close to the 280 entrance which I'd take to work... the commute would actually be a tad shorter than my current drive, and I rarely have to go during rush hour.

Does anyone have insight on this neighborhood? I don't know SJ that well, having lived mostly on the Peninsula and SF, but it takes a lot to scare me! I've also lived in EPA, the edge of Hunter's Point, Stockton, and West Philadelphia - also worked in Richmond and Oakland, so I have seen much worse than anything you'd see in SJ (even east). At the same time, I am a woman living alone, and enjoy walking my dog late at night. He's big enough to defend me, and would if he had to, but of course I'd rather feel like we weren't in danger. Any input would be appreciated, before I even consider looking into this part of town.

P.S. In case it matters, I am 37 years old and a single Jewish professional woman, but can get along with just about anyone. So I don't care about the ethnicity or social "status" of my neighbors, and do speak Spanish almost fluently.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-19-2014 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:44 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,929 times
Have you checked crimereports.com?

Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,042 times
NO. Just NO. There are many pockets of East San Jose that I wouldn't hesitate to walk, but this is not one of those pockets.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:07 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
No. I used to live in East SJ near Story/Lucretia. Your quality of life will go down. Trust me. No, it's not a horrible slum like parts of the East Coast, but the quality of life just isn't there.

--More nuissance crime such as car break ins.
--Your car insurance rates will most likely go up.
--You'll see a lot more shopping carts and litter in residential neighborhoods.
--You're much more likely to encounter overcrowding in housing units, which will impact your quality of life negatively.
--There is a lot more street traffic in East SJ because it was not built to accommodate the number of people living there. Oh, and you'll often end up sitting in that traffic next to someone with a stereo system playing at deafening levels (even with your car window rolled up).
--Street parking can be difficult, even in single family home neighborhoods.
--The stores are usually either low end or cater to an immigrant population. They tend to be crowded.
--The clientele at said stores tends to be depressing. Not everyone or even most, mind you, but enough to have a negative effect on your quality of life.

East SJ is a bit nicer than it used to be, but it's still East SJ. I'd move to a studio and/or give up the dog before I'd move there.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:44 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I appreciate the input, and will cross that neighborhood off my list! I've probably lived in much worse, but might be getting too old for that.

But mysticaltyger, would you PLEASE stop suggesting I "get rid of the dog" like he's an old pair of shoes? He is my friend, companion, protector, and a part of my FAMILY... I would sooner live in my car with him than consider that, especially if the only reason was to get a nicer apartment. As for the cats, I've had the oldest one for almost 17 years, so it would be pretty cruel to dump her now (especially since her health is declining). She and the youngest cat, plus the dog, also happen to be rescues - and in rescuing them, one directly from the streets, I committed to giving them a forever home.

I wish a studio was a possibility, but since I have the dog, 3 cats, 20+ snakes, and a fair amount of "stuff," it really wouldn't work for me. Looks like I might have to stay put, at least until I can think of a better alternative. Guess $1700 isn't too bad for what I have?

My other option is to get a roommate, but finding someone compatible/tolerant enough is unlikely... there is a possibility I could get a 2-3br first, then look for someone to move in, which would give me the upper hand in choosing the right fit. But that is a gamble, since I'd have to put up all the money (move-in costs + full rent until I found someone) myself. That's what I did when I moved to SF, but I had deeper pockets back then.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-20-2014 at 04:58 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 06:20 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Sadly, $1700 isn't too ridiculous these days. Rents really have gone up a lot. And mysticaltyger nailed the whole East SJ experience.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But mysticaltyger, would you PLEASE stop suggesting I "get rid of the dog" like he's an old pair of shoes? He is my friend, companion, protector, and a part of my FAMILY... I would sooner live in my car with him than consider that, especially if the only reason was to get a nicer apartment. As for the cats, I've had the oldest one for almost 17 years, so it would be pretty cruel to dump her now (especially since her health is declining). She and the youngest cat, plus the dog, also happen to be rescues - and in rescuing them, one directly from the streets, I committed to giving them a forever home.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:34 AM

158 posts, read 358,721 times
You might want to consider south or west from there. It's too bad you sound like you're in a hurry (need to find something this week?). If you had more time, I would urge patience and a fair bit of window shopping before settling on a place. Don't let them pressure you into moving in "today" - mostly just a car salesman sort of tactic. I'd hit Craigslist. Good idea looking up on street view first. Also make sure to check the sex offender map because some apartment buildings will house a number of them if the property is far enough away form schools etc. Crimereports.com for assaults and robberies (ignore vehicle thefts). Good luck.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,929 times
South SJ is also a bit cheaper, and it felt nicer/safer than people describe ESJ. I lived there and enjoyed everything but the hideous commute north/west. I didn't see what commute you would be making, so if it's not too far you might want to look into that area. And just keep looking. I know you have a time crunch, but every now and then something pops up. Maybe you know people in the areas you would like and they could post to their neighborhood groups? It seems the best rentals never get advertised and go by word of mouth or signage.

I went house-looking with relatives in Daly City once, and at least the area they were looking in, I would not have been comfortable there (neither were they!). It's a shame b/c it's got great proximity to SF and beach. I'm not sure if it's patchy, like SJ, or just all together not great.

Last edited by Wintermomma; 03-20-2014 at 11:04 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Gizmo, why not just get a roommate?

It is very common in big cities, and San Jose is not an exception. I if you go on craigslist they have a housing wanted section, just find somebody who can pay what you need.

There are lots of houses in downtown SJ where the residents are all students or "young professionals"like tech workers.

If anybody wants a roommate btw I can pay $530 with utilities and I don't smoke or drink, and have lots of experience with roommates, both in the USN and as a civilian.

I'm looking to move back into downtown but might have to settle for someplace else.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 03-20-2014 at 11:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose