Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is San Jose among best cities to find a Job ?
Yes , it is easy to find a Job in San Jose 15 57.69%
No , It is hard to find a Job in San Jose 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:26 AM

186 posts, read 247,649 times

Advertisements

Hi -

Many rankings say that San Jose is among the easiest cities to find a job with a high job growth rate and constant job creations , Away from numbers , is that true ?

Generally speaking , how plentiful are Job opening and how is the competition to get
office jobs - clerical - service jobs ?

Thanks

RG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM

23,558 posts, read 24,064,911 times
It depends on what field you are in, your experience and your level of education. For technology jobs, the answer is yes.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 PM

186 posts, read 247,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It depends on what field you are in, your experience and your level of education. For technology jobs, the answer is yes.
Right , I am a supply chain buyer . work in the procurement of spare parts in aerospace industry but can work in any other industry that have a spares procurement activity

I am also interested in a place with plenty of office / clerical Jobs

Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,476 times
I'd say:
It's easy to find a low paying jobs because there are a lot of them available and the bar is low.
There are a lot of higher paying tech jobs, but they're not very easy to get anymore.

Bottom line: if you are skilled, have some experience (even if it's still just college-level) and work well with others, then SV is probably still one of the best places to start a career, especially in technology… it's just not necessarily EASY.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 PM

310 posts, read 687,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I'd say:
It's easy to find a low paying jobs because there are a lot of them available and the bar is low.
There are a lot of higher paying tech jobs, but they're not very easy to get anymore.

Bottom line: if you are skilled, have some experience (even if it's still just college-level) and work well with others, then SV is probably still one of the best places to start a career, especially in technology… it's just not necessarily EASY.
I have a friend who grew up here who spent the last 10 years looking for any job, including Walmart and Toys R Us. During that time, he had part-time, off-the-books work from a relative and about 6 months in a warehouse. I even tried to get him work. He was white and, though I can't say for sure, I suspect that lots of places with low-paying, low-skill jobs just preferred not to deal with white people who spoke perfect English. Even so, he would periodically line up a stock boy job that "he'd get when the current guy had his last day". Inevitably, the current guy would decide that he'd prefer to keep the job and so my friend wouldn't get it.

So, I wouldn't count on those low paying jobs, either, if you don't have experience or don't fit the stereotype.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Quote:
I disagree pretty strongly. The tech economy has been strong here the past few years, with no signs of slowing down.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I disagree pretty strongly. The tech economy has been strong here the past few years, with no signs of slowing down.
Which is in harmony with "There are a lot of higher paying tech jobs" right? So I guess the only thing tp disagree about is what the definition of "easy" is. Easy for someone with up-to-date skills, a stellar resume, and lots of contacts… probably. Easy for someone looking to jump from store clerk to network programmer with one quick interview? Probably not. (no aspersions against store clerks intended)

Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Which is in harmony with "There are a lot of higher paying tech jobs" right? So I guess the only thing tp disagree about is what the definition of "easy" is. Easy for someone with up-to-date skills, a stellar resume, and lots of contacts… probably. Easy for someone looking to jump from store clerk to network programmer with one quick interview? Probably not. (no aspersions against store clerks intended)
I mostly agree with otterprods. We aren't in a boom but we aren't in a bust. If you are 29 or younger or are moving to the Bay Area from out of town, it is easy to find an OK job that pays more than you make now. If you are 30 and older and already working an OK job and only considering a better job, it isn't easy.

During the Dot Com Boom (which is my measuring stick), a store clerk could become a network programmer. But it's absolutely clear that we aren't even close to that.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 AM

23,558 posts, read 24,064,911 times
The jobs are there, if you have the skills, education and network. But, the hiring criteria has gone way up (from the dot come boom days). Interviews of 4-5 rounds is not uncommon these days.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
The jobs are there, if you have the skills, education and network. But, the hiring criteria has gone way up (from the dot come boom days). Interviews of 4-5 rounds is not uncommon these days.
So, it is hard to find a job, on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: