Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 AM

27 posts, read 58,340 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to magalia because the mobile homes up there in the pines look so pretty...and prices are 40,000.00 and less for a cute, small manufactured home. However, Googling the terrain and street views, I see some areas that look kind of run down with trash all over the front yards and I read on the status page of Magalia that the air quality is awful. In fact, really bad. Plus, there are a lot of drugs being "cooked" up there in the pines so my fear is I will have noisy, awful neighbors who are cranking out kegs of crack or meth...or we will be gasping from lack of fresh air. Both of us are retired and have a very limited budget so nothing over that price range we can afford. I saw some cute places...but the street view of homes on each side or down the street look kind of seedy.

Does anyone here live in magalia and can you tell me if my eyes were seeing things or what I read on Magalia is incorrect? We live on the central coast and the rent here is horrible. We might have someone that will help us purchase a home there and then just pay them rent until it is paid in full because we cannot get a loan. Finding a Owner Carry has been fruitless so it looks like we may be finding many roadblocks. However, if our friend does help us...do we really want to live there? Hubby is 67 and I am 65. We would need to get to medical services eventually, as I am a cancer survivor and we both have rhuematoid arthritis.

How deep does the snow get up there?
Are there areas we should avoid?
Is the air as bad as the info I found stating such?
Is there high speed internet up there for our pcs (we live on them for our entertainment).
Is it dish tv or is cable service available?
Are the hospitals or medical clinics good in Paradise or do we need to go to Chico for doc appts?
Any veterinaries up there (we have 2 dogs).
Is air conditioning needed? Neither of us like sweltering heat during the summer.

Any info you can give me would be much appreciated. Even if we don't buy, we can always rent if we can find something within our measley budget of 500 per month..hopefully less since we also have to pay utilities. We are retired property managers and want peace and quiet, and be able to not have to choose between eating or paying rent or house payments.

Thanks for reading and I hope to get some responses that will help us decide whether magalia is the place for us. And I chose Magalia due to the low cost of a roof over our heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 06:09 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Magalia isn't anywhere near San Jose. The closest big city is Sacramento which also isn't close to there. You may want to try the general CA forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose