Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,036,201 times

Advertisements

Renting it out is the right solution - then you won't have to deal with all the traffic, noise, drunks, and fights on game days (not to mention not being able to find parking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:03 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,549,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Seems to me that's one less seller AND one less buyer, assuming they were looking to move to another Bay Area house. So it should be market-neutral.
Well let's think through this with a simplified example. Suppose there are 10 people who want to move into an area and 5 people who want to sell their houses and move out. There are also 10 other people who already live in the area and want to sell and buy something else in the area. Total houses on the market = 15, total potential buyers = 20.

Now suppose the 10 potential sellers/buyers all take their houses off the market and stay put for a while. Total houses on the market = 5, total potential buyers = 10.

Seems like the market tightened considerably for those looking to move into the area.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:53 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,365,703 times
People willing to wage a bidding war against other potential buyers only have themselves to blame for paying way too much for their homes. If they whine about how far they're underwater the next time the market plummets they'll get no sympathy from me. Not that that it would give them much solace anyways.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,005,419 times
Hmm if you can give them an option to get a home without waging a bidding war I am sure they'll gladly accept it.

Most people buy a home because their situation calls for it, not because the price or competition is low. Plus rent is going through the roof as well and competing for a rented place isn't that different nowadays. Bidding wars are driven by the market.

It is true that people shouldn't expect their houses will surely appreciate in value, but I also don't see anything wrong with waging a bidding war, as there is no way around it. Plus people whine all the time. If they buy a TV and two months later a new model comes out and the price drops, they whine about it as well. It is just human nature and there is nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
People willing to wage a bidding war against other potential buyers only have themselves to blame for paying way too much for their homes. If they whine about how far they're underwater the next time the market plummets they'll get no sympathy from me. Not that that it would give them much solace anyways.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Hmm if you can give them an option to get a home without waging a bidding war I am sure they'll gladly accept it. Most people buy a home because their situation calls for it, not because the price or competition is low. Plus rent is going through the roof as well and competing for a rented place isn't that different nowadays. Bidding wars are driven by the market.
There are other options. I lived there for over ten years without ever buying one of those ridiculously overpriced homes and we had plenty of space for a family, etc. But these folks think owning their own housey is the epitome of whatever, and they're willing to pay exorbitant amounts for it. That's fine, if they have the money, but they shouldn't complain when they go underwater or lose it altogether because they willingly overpaid by hundreds of thousands of dollars just because that price was "driven by the market".

Old 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,661,410 times
I waited on the sideline in the early 2000's to 2005 while my friends and coworkers went out and bought houses for 600k++ then when the S#!7 it the fan my friends saw their values drop to the as low as 250k. I bought in 2011 for 300k a house that was valued at 600k right before the market tanked. My house is worth about 480k now but I have no plans to sell I am just enjoying my payment that is 70% of going rents. I have friends that waited to buy because they thought the market was gonna fall more and now they can't buy because they get outbid or homes are just too expensive now.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:49 PM

283 posts, read 425,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Most of buyers are all cash now.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:18 AM

327 posts, read 962,168 times
Honestly, the only reason to sell a home in the SV area is if you're moving away from the area and don't want to hassle with renting it out. A home is an investment you live in around here. People here don't seem to "move up" as they do in other areas, because the costs of moving up stick with you with the way property taxes are levied and rise from the sale price of the house. Not to mention, most people can't afford to buy a "move up" home in this area. This rewards long term home ownership, which restricts housing supply.

I'm one of those potential buyers that just moved here, and I'm not touching real estate until a little bit of sanity is restored. There's only bad times to buy and REALLY bad times to buy in SV. I think now is one of those really bad times to buy...especially in the established, desirable locations. Go to Zillow and look at the home values for the zip codes in Saratoga, Los Gatos, Mountain View, and the other usual suspects. They're far above their 2007 peak values. This cannot be sustained once the Feds are out of QE and interest rates are up to 5.3%. For here, that's an extra $500+/mo added to the mortgage. How many people are getting a 10% raise next year to absorb that? Then there's the risk of the stock market bubble crashing once the cheap money isn't cheap anymore. The feds have been proping up the stock market and the housing market with low rates. It's unlikely the bull will continue on its own. Since most people buying are using cashed out stock options and RSU's, a major correction in the stock market will dilute this money. Without the money, there's nothing to prop up current home values, because home buyers can't support it even with anemic supply.

So I'll take a pass and play the waiting game with many other buyers. Now is not the right time to buy in the general case (exceptions always apply of course).

Old 04-29-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
I waited on the sideline in the early 2000's to 2005 while my friends and coworkers went out and bought houses for 600k++ then when the S#!7 it the fan my friends saw their values drop to the as low as 250k. I bought in 2011 for 300k a house that was valued at 600k right before the market tanked. My house is worth about 480k now but I have no plans to sell I am just enjoying my payment that is 70% of going rents. I have friends that waited to buy because they thought the market was gonna fall more and now they can't buy because they get outbid or homes are just too expensive now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
Honestly, the only reason to sell a home in the SV area is if you're moving away from the area and don't want to hassle with renting it out. A home is an investment you live in around here. People here don't seem to "move up" as they do in other areas, because the costs of moving up stick with you with the way property taxes are levied and rise from the sale price of the house. Not to mention, most people can't afford to buy a "move up" home in this area. This rewards long term home ownership, which restricts housing supply. I'm one of those potential buyers that just moved here, and I'm not touching real estate until a little bit of sanity is restored. There's only bad times to buy and REALLY bad times to buy in SV. I think now is one of those really bad times to buy...especially in the established, desirable locations. Go to Zillow and look at the home values for the zip codes in Saratoga, Los Gatos, Mountain View, and the other usual suspects. They're far above their 2007 peak values. This cannot be sustained once the Feds are out of QE and interest rates are up to 5.3%. For here, that's an extra $500+/mo added to the mortgage. How many people are getting a 10% raise next year to absorb that? Then there's the risk of the stock market bubble crashing once the cheap money isn't cheap anymore. The feds have been proping up the stock market and the housing market with low rates. It's unlikely the bull will continue on its own. Since most people buying are using cashed out stock options and RSU's, a major correction in the stock market will dilute this money. Without the money, there's nothing to prop up current home values, because home buyers can't support it even with anemic supply. So I'll take a pass and play the waiting game with many other buyers. Now is not the right time to buy in the general case (exceptions always apply of course).
These are the thoughts that I agree with most. I remember having a discussion with some know-it-all at work where I was trying to explain that buying an old run down home for $700k is dumb because it will not rise sustainably over the next decade or two… certainly not to 2 or 3 times that value like the baby boomers who bought int he 70s or 80s have seen. He was certain I was wrong but he was just going on past performance which will probably never be repeated. I think it's wise to play the waiting game if you can and buy when it really makes sense for you and not because you're afraid you're going to 'lose out' on something if you don't act now.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:05 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoreticar View Post
Most of buyers are all cash now.
"Most" would at least imply that it's the majority, but the number appears to be more like 25%, e.g.:

All-Cash Buyers Scoop Up Bay Area Real Estate | KQED News Fix

"Here’s some quantifiable proof of how the Bay Area housing market is squeezing out the little guy: The percentage of homes going to all-cash buyers soared from 14 percent to 27 percent over the course of last year."

So about 3/4ths of the buyers are still using mortgages. Hopefully not the adjustable rate, interest only shenanigans that prevailed during the previous boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose