Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 12:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,886 times

Advertisements

I graduated recently with BA degree in business and economics. I've been doing accounting in the big 4 FOR the tech companies. I'm becoming really interested in the tech side of Santa Clara and want to pursue that. Should I try to get another bachelor in computer science or is there some other options for me? SJSU doesn't accept anyone that already has a degree I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 02:45 PM

329 posts, read 656,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upper View Post
I graduated recently with BA degree in business and economics. I've been doing accounting in the big 4 FOR the tech companies. I'm becoming really interested in the tech side of Santa Clara and want to pursue that. Should I try to get another bachelor in computer science or is there some other options for me? SJSU doesn't accept anyone that already has a degree I think

You can get into IT side of Accounting like Oracle Financials or SAP FICO or Internal Audit.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:27 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times
Do you want to just change companies? Or do you also want to change roles?

Most tech companies, particularly the large ones, need business people, finance analysts, accountants, and so forth. So, assuming you have good experience (and it sounds like you do), it is entirely possible to move into a tech company role without needing additional education. Of course, tech background always helps as you need to be able to "speak the language," but a full BS in CS is probably not necessary.

On the other hand, if you're actually looking to change roles into something like Engineering, you would likely need a degree.

Also, a little known fact: you don't need a CS undergrad degree to pursue a MS in CS. You'll have a challenge, and you'll want to get up to speed some before beginning a MS program, but it's entirely possbile to do. My cousin majored in finance related stuff, and got a follow-on CS Masters degree from Oxford. But again -- that's not really necessary if you want to keep doing business stuff, but for a tech company.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:40 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
You're at a disadvantage because you're doing it backwards. It works well the other way around

BS CS + JD = Patent/IP lawyer
BS CS + MBA = Engineering manager, product manager, product marketing manager, even executive management

I'm not sure you'll really go anywhere if you try to pursue a CS degree and get into the development side of tech. You'd be putting your career on hold just to get another entry level position. I think the advice in post #2 is the best advice, unless you want to start over as though you were 18 again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: