Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:32 PM

276 posts, read 745,003 times

Advertisements

well friends, all i can say is that we failed. we failed to find something that we could accept.
we are back in NJ now, and looking from here.

thanks to all for your valuable advice and input!

i plan on either flying back by myself in 6 weeks OR making offers from here as time is totally critical!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:52 PM

Final thoughts on what we experienced:

houses for the most part are either SMALL, or having major issues, in one way or another, in desirable areas up to our price range of 800k. CRAP! You can buy a POS in a great neighborhood, or a MANSION--for the most part--in a DUMP. In short, we were scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The commuting time and safety was horrible even locally as many commuters seems to either avoid or intersperse between HW / local roads. I saw quite a few accidents that recently occurred (prior to the police / ambulance arrived)

prices are insane. 9% sales tax? stupid bag purchases for a quarter? gas prices exceeding $4? diet coke for $1.75. Food is about $1 MORE than here in NJ. I don't live in a bad area in NJ. Look it up--I live in zip code 07733. Holmdel, folks. Ain't cheap here.

the weather was unbelievably beautiful for the most part. Tuesday, in Mountain View, you could not ask for more perfect weather. No wind / breeze at all. A steady 84 degrees F. Sonoma was beautiful, friendly, and had a lot to offer tourists. Cannot wait to return.

San Fran SUCKED. Food prices were sky high. As were parking prices. As were hotel prices. Parking at the hotel--$50.00 for a NIGHT?!?! What's / Where's the beauty of San Fran? It was FREEZING there!! My wife had to purchase a jacket. 10 degrees LESS than San Jose. They need to STOP exploiting that stupid Alcatraz which died...oh what? 50 years ago? 60 years ago? Golden Gate bridge--nothing special. the bridge from OAKLAND was much more impressive, by far.

San Jose--totally congested, a very poignant example of sprawl gone crazy. You have like 50 cars per street in a lot of areas.

Santa Clara--dump, for the most part. Living off legacy of 1950s still! 1950s!!!!! Unbelievable! You have old gmom homes across from tons and tons of RENTALs.

Mountain View--totally awesome...but seems like a college town

Fremont--again, dump. I tried--I really, really, really tried to like this place. I lied to myself, convinced myself, etc., but I need to say exactly what I think on this. a DUMP. Minus Mission area of course.

Sunnyvale--half of what we had seen were very well kept and pleasant. but prices were insane.

Overall: nasty sellers that actually INTERVIEW the buyers!!!! I cant believe this. I thought MONEY = MONEY.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 PM

283 posts, read 424,173 times
I am sorry you feel that way. I think after a while you just get use to it. It is what it is. You just need some house. For 800k-900k I would start with some town-house. Even in Sunnyvale you can find some newer townhouse.
Example.
255 HONEYLOCUST Ter, Sunnyvale, CA 94086 | MLS# 81410573 | Redfin

So yes it is possible and also you should know that many people world wide wants to live here.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 AM

49 posts, read 69,548 times
Sorry you didn't find anything you like. It is expensive here and frustrating to find a place. Remember it is summer 9+ months out of the year here and we don't have winter.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,727,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
The commuting time and safety was horrible even locally as many commuters seems to either avoid or intersperse between HW / local roads. I saw quite a few accidents that recently occurred (prior to the police / ambulance arrived)
In San Jose? I'm not sure I agree. I almost never see big accidents. Usually fender benders with people who are tailgating and hit someone from behind.
Quote:
the weather was unbelievably beautiful for the most part. Tuesday, in Mountain View, you could not ask for more perfect weather. No wind / breeze at all. A steady 84 degrees F.
This is actually unusually warm. Normally it's mid 70s

Quote:
Golden Gate bridge--nothing special. the bridge from OAKLAND was much more impressive, by far.
Dude, come on. Golden Gate bridge is RED.

Quote:
Mountain View--totally awesome...but seems like a college town
the university of Google, I guess

Sounds like you're upset because you can't afford to buy a house here.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:09 PM

283 posts, read 424,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Sounds like you're upset because you can't afford to buy a house here.
Exactly!! I am not blaming him. Bay Area is great place to live you just need to have $$$ ;-)

Old 05-04-2014, 12:24 PM

578 posts, read 1,290,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
1. The commuting time and safety was horrible even locally as many commuters seems to either avoid or intersperse between HW / local roads. I saw quite a few accidents that recently occurred (prior to the police / ambulance arrived)

2. prices are insane. 9% sales tax? stupid bag purchases for a quarter? gas prices exceeding $4? diet coke for $1.75. Food is about $1 MORE than here in NJ. I don't live in a bad area in NJ. Look it up--I live in zip code 07733. Holmdel, folks. Ain't cheap here.

3. Overall: nasty sellers that actually INTERVIEW the buyers!!!! I cant believe this. I thought MONEY = MONEY.
1. It's just the fastest way at times to go on the side streets during certain times of the day. There's always accidents somewhere in the Bay, causing a slowdown.

2. Bag purchases are usually 10C for paper (depending on where you go), but you just get used to bringing a nicer bag with you. Pretty much worth it anyways for something that doesn't tear as easily.
And if you're going to gripe over food being $1 more, can you afford it here?

3. With the amount of buying going on in the Bay, I'm not surprised. It's a hot hot hot market.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoreticar View Post
I am sorry you feel that way. I think after a while you just get use to it. It is what it is. You just need some house. For 800k-900k I would start with some town-house. Even in Sunnyvale you can find some newer townhouse.
Example.
255 HONEYLOCUST Ter, Sunnyvale, CA 94086 | MLS# 81410573 | Redfin

So yes it is possible and also you should know that many people world wide wants to live here.
Yes--Sunnyvale was awesome, and truly, probably our 1st preference. Thank you for the link--Ill check it out -- though its probably sold, might offer some home of townhome prices in that area.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconWriter View Post
Sorry you didn't find anything you like. It is expensive here and frustrating to find a place. Remember it is summer 9+ months out of the year here and we don't have winter.
Thanks--I felt awful after I ranted. I calmed down after a few days, of extreme disappointment. Reality has now settled in...

weather is incredible, no question

Old 05-04-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
1. It's just the fastest way at times to go on the side streets during certain times of the day. There's always accidents somewhere in the Bay, causing a slowdown.

2. Bag purchases are usually 10C for paper (depending on where you go), but you just get used to bringing a nicer bag with you. Pretty much worth it anyways for something that doesn't tear as easily.
And if you're going to gripe over food being $1 more, can you afford it here?

3. With the amount of buying going on in the Bay, I'm not surprised. It's a hot hot hot market.
Well the truth is I feel that I better step it up in terms of job promotion, new company, etc. Because I now see how quickly the coffers can empty.

The thing we truly need to overcome is the real estate prices. If this were NJ house prices, then no issue. But in addition to an insanely hot real estate market, the COL is slightly more than where I currently live. So...If we buy too much of a house, then we gotta cut back on everything else. I'd rather live in something acceptable and affordable at this point...

Thanks for the response!

Still hoping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose