Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:32 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Uh hem, whoever said the only Catholics in the Bay Area are hispanic - is obviously not Catholic! Sheesh. I grew up in the East Bay and went to Catholic schools most of my life. My family is a mix of Irish, French and Panamanian (my favorite aunt). There is also a huge Asian population, and even Indians who are Catholic in the Bay Area. There are services in multiple languages.
They didn't say that, they said down south...Gilroy area. And ITA with you in that when I lived in S. SJ and it seemed like every other kid I saw (of various ethnicities) was sporting the Catholic school uniform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 02:46 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Well .... when I first moved here and saw people bundled up with scarves and wool caps and big coats being 50 degrees outside, I thought it was kind of ridiculous. But later I came to realize that even if the outside temperature is not low, the cold here is a kind of clammy cold that seeps into your bones, so it actually does feel pretty chilly. I suppose it's due to humidity or the type of air that's near the ocean or maybe even the fact that the ocean waters here are cold and this affects the outside air? I don't know, I'm not a weather guy, but I do find myself needing a cap, a decent coat, and even gloves, when it's 50 degrees out, and I moved here from Colorado - you all know what winters in Colorado are like.
I agree with you on the cold here. People in most other parts of the country would probably laugh at our complaint, but it is the dampness in the air in winter that makes the cold feel colder. It doesn't feel as cold as when you're in dry air (in the same way that dry air lessens the impact of heat).

Old 05-13-2014, 07:13 PM

249 posts, read 392,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I wouldn't worry about the weather in Gilroy. A typical July day in Gilroy has an average high/low of 88/54. That's better than what you get in St. Louis, especially because it cools off more at night. You will get 100 degree spells in Gilroy, but the temperature will typically cool off 40 degrees or more during heat waves.

GILROY, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

The main problem with a place like Gilroy would be:

1. The schools aren't that great.

2. The commute is going to be long.

3. The CalTrain trains don't run as frequently to Gilroy as they do to other stations, so they may not be compatible with your husband's work schedule.

4. The cost of living is cheaper than San Jose & other areas farther north, but is still high for the amenities you are (not) getting. Much of that cost of living savings could be wiped out by the cost of commuting.

5. St. Louis may actually have more fun things to do than San Jose (and certainly more than Gilroy...although there is a cute park called Gilroy Gardens...never been there, but it isn't free). It's true you can go to SF for things, but it's expensive. The mass transit into SF isn't first rate, yet it's fairly expensive. If you drive, you have to pay rip off parking rates....and that's before you've even done anything. SF is more hassle than it's worth, IMO, and I say that as a single person. I'd say that's doubly true for a married couple with kids....but I admit to having a low tolerance for that kind of stuff.

As another poster said, the salaries here are higher, but typically not high enough to make up for the cost of living (and typically, not even close).

As far as allergies go, the Midwest is generally the worst place for them...but I have a friend in San Francisco and his allergies drive him crazy in the Spring. When it comes to allergies, there's really no way to know because it depends on what you're allergic to. In general, I'd say the odds are in your favor as far as allergies go.

You mentioned that St. Louis feels like a sinking ship. We sort of have the opposite problem locally, but a sinking ship problem on the larger state level. People move here, and they never build enough housing, so home prices and rents skyrocket. But at the state level CA feels like a sinking ship, financially speaking. Our state's finances have improved a bit lately, but we still have the 2nd lowest bond rating after Illinois.

Major earthquakes here are a significant risk. We are actually overdue for a big 7.0+ earthquake in the Bay Area. The 1989 quake is NOT considered to be "the big one" that scientists expect. People like to talk about the fact there haven't been any major earthquakes lately, but that is meaningless. The fact that we haven't had a major quake actually means we're overdue for one. That's an undisputed fact.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancis...nt?oid=2172405

I like living here as a single person, but that's because I'm ok with living in an older studio apartment. If you have kids, you typically want a single family home, and one in a decent school district. People are not exaggerating when they say Plain Jane SFHs in decent school districts cost $775,000. Not worth it, in my opinion.
I agree with the poster above. I have lived in St. Louis and Gilroy. From a weather perspective coming from St. Louis to Gilroy will make you feel like you have died and gone to heaven. In terms of amenities there are many more things to do in the Greater Bay Area than St. Louis, but comparing St. Louis to South Santa Clara Valley is not fair. The cost of living will be shocking to you. The public schools in West County are far superior to any public schools in most of the Bay Area. The Catholic elementary schools in California will in general be inferior to Catholic schools in St. Louis. You can find good Catholic high schools in San Jose- Archbishop Mitty and Bellarmine come to mind.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,158 times
Bay Area residents seek escape from record-breaking heat - Inside Bay Area

"Only Gilroy did not reach or beat its heat record -- the city fell 1 degree short of matching the whopping 103 degrees hit in 1976. In response to the heat, Oakland officials offered free admission for seniors at city-owned pools Wednesday."

Yes. My original post was "absurd." This is MAY. Wait until July and August. Yes, California has such great weather year round, we have "brown outs," because of the massive heat waves and the power company cannot keep up with the air conditioning demands. Yep, great weather all throughout this state.

Bottom line: Less the 10% of this state has great weather year round. Go to Truckee in winter, when it is below zero and Death Valley in the summer when it is 120+. Great weather people.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:57 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,028 times
Phil. What. Is. Your. Point?

Old 05-16-2014, 11:27 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes. My original post was "absurd." This is MAY. Wait until July and August. Yes, California has such great weather year round, we have "brown outs," because of the massive heat waves and the power company cannot keep up with the air conditioning demands. Yep, great weather all throughout this state.
I can't recall any but a handful of brown outs since energy traders at Enron stopped manipulating the energy supply and creating artificial shortages, which was well over a decade ago.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,138,862 times
San jose is a much better option with great job opportunities, lower crime, much better climate, more things to do. Only negative is cost of living and particularly housing cost.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:

"Only Gilroy did not reach or beat its heat record -- the city fell 1 degree short of matching the whopping 103 degrees hit in 1976. In response to the heat, Oakland officials offered free admission for seniors at city-owned pools Wednesday."

Bottom line: Less the 10% of this state has great weather year round. Go to Truckee in winter, when it is below zero and Death Valley in the summer when it is 120+. Great weather people.

People generally go to where there is good weather.

See? Great weather, even.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:

Phil, you should definitely move to St. Louis. Swap homes with the OP.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:55 AM

50 posts, read 86,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Phil, you should definitely move to St. Louis. Swap homes with the OP.
ha! indeed.

i see all sorts of home in the san jose area that don't even bother having central ac, and this blows my mind. and basements are obviously not needed. we're used to every place having a full basement that essentially doubles your living space. we'll have to learn to live a little smaller.

in the summer here we don't have brown outs, we have black outs. and sometimes in the coldest part of winter, too. one year we had no power for a week in 100 degree temps and again in the winter when it was in the single digits. BUT right now, today and the last couple days, we have had the most glorious weather. 60's and sunny all day. just a little bit of rain in the evenings. with hail. and tornado warnings. sigh.

my husband has interviewed for 2 jobs out there and neither was a good fit. he's still looking, but we are looking local and a couple other cities as well (seattle, portland, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose