Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:26 PM

14 posts, read 18,140 times

Advertisements

Random question but do people who live in places like Almaden and the foothills etc keep cats as outdoor pets? We have a cat we'd be bringing with us when we move - we're in Seattle and she's mostly outdoor except at night when we get her in, and I'm wondering if that's what people in SJ do or whether it's safer to keep cats in all the time...? The only animals that are a threat to cats in Seattle are raccoons but someone mentioned the wildlife in SJ, particularly when you get out into the foothills, can get a lot bigger than a raccoon.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 05:12 PM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Cats, in general are better off (safer) indoors. Much less threat of cars, other cats, dogs and other unknown animals. San Jose (e.g. the South Bay) has a lot of cars.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:34 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
There are coyotes in the hills around Almaden Valley - you can hear them crying and yipping at night. We're one street off where the hills really start, and are careful to scan our yard at night before we let the dogs out to make sure there aren't any coyotes in the yard (never seen one, but one more street over and it's not uncommon to see them trotting down the street). I'd keep cats indoors, unless you know they'd never leave your yard.

Last year there was a mutilated cat on the sidewalk for a couple days around the corner from our house. I didn't look at it closely, but I assumed it was the victim of a coyote attack. This was in the direction away from the hills, so if it was a coyote attack, the attack took place three streets from the hill. Never heard of any mountain lions around here.

Last edited by MediocreButArrogant; 05-12-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
I had an outdoor cat, growing up in an area of Morgan Hill that had a lot of wildlife - deer, turkeys, coyotes, pumas, bobcats, raccoons, boar, you name it. That cat was tough as nails. He brought us bluejays and squirrels and tried to take down fawns.. if the doe wasn't there to chase him off, he probably would have been successful. He certainly wasn't the only outdoor cat in the area. If you have one, you will learn about every other one in the area as they fight each other for territory. There were dogs, too, but he never got attacked by one. YMMV.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:59 PM

14 posts, read 18,140 times
Thanks all, that's good to know.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
There are some strong opinions about feral cats in that area. If you don't care if your cat ever comes back home, or comes back home really sick or covered in fleas or ticks, etc., etc., then let it loose, I guess.

I would never let my dog out the front door and say "have fun." I don't get people who would do this. So many dangers and diseases out there that you can't protect them from.

Letting your animals loose on our own farm is one thing, but letting them loose in a city is another thing altogether.

And BTW, if your cat came into my yard and started using my flower beds for a litter box, your cat would come home, at the very least, very wet from my garden hose. And I'd be the nice neighbor.

You'd really take the chance that someone wouldn't poison your pet? Or their dog wouldn't rip it up when it landed in their yard? I could go on and on.

Just please don't do this, for so many reasons.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:37 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,190 times
I lived next to a creek in Almaden Valley for a few years. When I moved in, a neighbor introduced herself and mentioned that she had lost several cats to the coyotes that hang around the creek at night. I brought my cat indoors before dark and there were no problems. During the day he would prowl around the creek and several times brought home "pets" of his own (mainly lizards).

I never noticed any raccoons, but in addition to the coyotes I did see bobcats once in a while, either at the creek or crossing the adjacent biking/walking trail. I don't know if they would mess with a domestic cat.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:31 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
There are some strong opinions about feral cats in that area. If you don't care if your cat ever comes back home, or comes back home really sick or covered in fleas or ticks, etc., etc., then let it loose, I guess.

I would never let my dog out the front door and say "have fun." I don't get people who would do this. So many dangers and diseases out there that you can't protect them from.

Letting your animals loose on our own farm is one thing, but letting them loose in a city is another thing altogether.

And BTW, if your cat came into my yard and started using my flower beds for a litter box, your cat would come home, at the very least, very wet from my garden hose. And I'd be the nice neighbor.

You'd really take the chance that someone wouldn't poison your pet? Or their dog wouldn't rip it up when it landed in their yard? I could go on and on.

Just please don't do this, for so many reasons.
I could be totally wrong as I've never owned cats, but I'm under the impression that once a cat is an "outdoor cat" it is very difficult to turn them into an "indoor cat." They tend to go stir crazy, tear things up, etc. As I understand it, you must choose either "outdoor" or "indoor" for your cat and go with it - it's difficult to change back.

Perhaps OP has a chance because they do get the cat in at night at least.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:48 AM

27 posts, read 74,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I could be totally wrong as I've never owned cats, but I'm under the impression that once a cat is an "outdoor cat" it is very difficult to turn them into an "indoor cat." They tend to go stir crazy, tear things up, etc. As I understand it, you must choose either "outdoor" or "indoor" for your cat and go with it - it's difficult to change back.

Perhaps OP has a chance because they do get the cat in at night at least.
Yeah, that's my experience. I used to live against the hills in the Santa Teresa/ Cottle area and lost some cats to all the wildlife in the area. I decided to try and keep one of my cats indoors after years of being an outdoor cat and he made our life hell - howling day and night, tearing up furniture, breaking things, etc. We decided to let him back out and ended up losing him a few months later . The cats I've adopted since then have been indoor only, and they are happy as can be since they don't know any different. I would never recommend anyone let their cats outside, especially in the neighborhoods against the hills, but the reality is, if they are already used to the outdoors, then it's too late. In my experience, indoor cats are also a lot friendlier, as well as being much much much cleaner.

You can actually leash train kittens, but a lot of people hate that idea because they think it looks silly. I'd rather look a little silly than lose another beloved pet, though.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:06 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaningfizz View Post

You can actually leash train kittens, but a lot of people hate that idea because they think it looks silly. I'd rather look a little silly than lose another beloved pet, though.
It's funny you should mention this. I live in a senior apartment building in downtown Redding now, and pets are allowed. There is a woman in our building who walks her Siamese cat every day. The cat wears a harness. She has to be very diligent about dogs, but she can scoop the cat up quickly.

It does look silly, I must admit. But, I do think it's really nice that she takes the cat outside. The other cats in the building never leave their apartments. The cats that face our indoor patio area have a fun time watching the gardeners, etc. I do feel bad for the ones that don't have at least that much stimulation, though as we're all seniors, they probably do get a fair amount of company and attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose