Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 06:33 PM

9 posts, read 56,708 times

Advertisements

Hi,
both my husband and I are new drivers with zero driving experience. We didn't see the need to drive as we could move around easily in public transportation and cars in our city cost 3 times more.

We're looking to either lease or buy a car (not sure if it's gonna be a used or new one). My question is, does anyone out there know of any reputable insurance company in relation to claims? We've found out most of our friends living in S. Valley with driving experience pay between USD100 to USD200/mth for car insurance. We would expect to pay about 500/mth to drive a new car after looking in GEICO website. Is that reasonable?

Also, does anyone have any experience with choosing to lease/buy a used car. What made you decide to lease/buy?

Thank you so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
I've consistently found, throughout the years, that 21st Century has the most reasonable rates in this area and I've always been more than satisfied with their claim service. I pay under $100 a month for low deductibles and high limits. I've been told part of this is because there is no middleman.. everything is sold direct over the Internet and they pass the savings on. It's nontraditional, but I have yet to find anything to complain about.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:49 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
As new drivers, your liability rates are going to be high. I wouldn't compound the cost by buying/leasing an expensive car. I'd get a used sedan like an Accord or Camry for a few years until your rates drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose