Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:09 AM

525 posts, read 814,426 times

Advertisements

I an in entry level IT with bachelors, ccna, and 2-3 years of experience where pay leaves a lot to be desired. I moved to South Bay from Chicago and its too expensive for my current income so I am looking for room to rent in apartment or house from Craiglist. But even that isn't easy because I find there are always other few others looking at places where I look and it either ends up me in waiting list because priority was given to another or whatever reason. I am looking for room for about $700-800 in South Bay. I thought about East Bay (Fremont, Pleasanton, Livermore) but only if rent would be lower but I find in range 800-900 (unless I look at Hayward, Castro Valley, Union City, Newark where I don't wanna go).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,847,187 times
Perhaps you should consider moving to a lower cost of living city such as Chicago.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Perhaps you should consider moving to a lower cost of living city such as Chicago.
Nah, I dont wanna move back. I sense sarcasm. Have other options to propose?

Old 05-19-2014, 02:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,823,052 times
Look at housing boards at SJSU, SCU, SJCC, DeAnza, WVC, Evergreen. etc.
Students are graduating and moving out [not going say droves], and lots if rooms are opening up right now.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM

283 posts, read 425,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Nah, I dont wanna move back. I sense sarcasm. Have other options to propose?
Just increase your budget for housing. $1000-$1200 and you should be fine. Also be prepared because I think in San Jose prices will go up year-by-year 15% for next 5 years.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoreticar View Post
Just increase your budget for housing. $1000-$1200 and you should be fine. Also be prepared because I think in San Jose prices will go up year-by-year 15% for next 5 years.
So unless I job up soon from IT wage slave job I am doomed. At some point only a few years ago my workplace offered at start as low as only $15 per hour.

I almost am giving up searching for room on craiglist. Almost every time I run into creepy situations either on listings or when I finally meet someone in person. I come across annoying things such as:

- light cooking or no cooking (really dude? I guess you wanna ghost living in house who will give you free money)
- must speak Chinese (aren't immigrants suppose to adjust to America, not other way)
- not willing to prorate first month rent
- pushing to move now, not willing to wait (you can move later but they want your free money now)
- invited you to see house even though he already has seen and gave priority to the interested viewer before you (wasting time, should have invited after that person backed off)
- first + last months rent + month's rent security deposit (you are renting out just room, you really have to ask that much?)
- host / your potential roommate has unfriendly and impersonal character, does not even speak much even about terms of rent or your lease
- Host shows your room with dirty carpet, does not offer to clean up before your move
- Does not respond to your email or phone call

Thats what happens often when I looked at San Jose, Santa Clara area.

When I look at Craigslist for East bay, prices really do not go down unless I look into hayward.

I am trying to limit my budget to 900. I know its little low but that is how it is.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:13 AM

240 posts, read 477,862 times
Many others are willing to compromise on many of the items you listed, particularly the "move now" / "pay now". Until you accept to compromise as well, you'll keep losing.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydreamt View Post
Many others are willing to compromise on many of the items you listed, particularly the "move now" / "pay now". Until you accept to compromise as well, you'll keep losing.
I am afraid of this as well. So unless I find more listings that have open space not now but a few weeks later I will have a hard time finding an available room. I wanna give myself little time to give notice to landlord, cleanup my old apartment, moves stuff, get next paycheck while I am busy full time 10 hours a day, ideally 3 weeks.

Funny is, landlords, apartment complex where you get from professional rental agency will let you move anytime you want and prorate as long as you decide first and secure with security deposit its all yours. But people won't even wait two weeks and don't seem really to care how interesting roommate you may be as long as they get first one who'll move in now!.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 AM

283 posts, read 425,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
So unless I job up soon from IT wage slave job I am doomed. At some point only a few years ago my workplace offered at start as low as only $15 per hour.
Yes I know.
Quote:
- light cooking or no cooking (really dude? I guess you wanna ghost living in house who will give you free money)
Exactly!
Quote:
- must speak Chinese (aren't immigrants suppose to adjust to America, not other way)
They are just idiots and also that's discrimination.
Quote:
- not willing to prorate first month rent
- pushing to move now, not willing to wait (you can move later but they want your free money now)
- invited you to see house even though he already has seen and gave priority to the interested viewer before you (wasting time, should have invited after that person backed off)
- first + last months rent + month's rent security deposit (you are renting out just room, you really have to ask that much?)
- host / your potential roommate has unfriendly and impersonal character, does not even speak much even about terms of rent or your lease
- Host shows your room with dirty carpet, does not offer to clean up before your move
- Does not respond to your email or phone call
That is just really hot market in San Jose.

Quote:
Thats what happens often when I looked at San Jose, Santa Clara area.
When I look at Craigslist for East bay, prices really do not go down unless I look into hayward.
I am trying to limit my budget to 900. I know its little low but that is how it is.
I know market is really crazy and it will become even worst in future.
Maybe you can find some roommate and then rent some nice 1/1 condo for $1800 or maybe $1900 and who pay little more get bedroom Or maybe even better take 2 roommates and take 2/2 or even 3-4 roomates and take 3/3 you should be able to get discount.

You can also apply for those affordable programs in San Jose with that income you should be able to do it.
example http://www.delmasparkapts.com/proper...ame=floorplans

Last edited by teoreticar; 05-20-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-20-2014, 09:51 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,764,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoreticar View Post
1.15^5 = 2.01, so you're saying that prices will double in the next five years. So renters will suddenly be able to afford $5k/month instead of $2.5k? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose