Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB1 View Post
Found a house on Penitencia Creek Road, which I think is called Berryessa. I am not familiar with this area at all. My biggest concern I think is the infamous Milpitas odor as the crimereports.com doesn't look too bad except two burglaries since November 2010. Does that odor reach over here and if so approximately how often? Any and all comments are highly appreciated. Thanks..
The reek rarely gets down there, since winds would have to turn south instead of the usual west > east, which makes Milpitas stink after the winds blow right over the adjacent landfill.

Berryessa is increasingly an Asian enclave, somewhat pricey, and quite safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 PM

167 posts, read 239,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The reek rarely gets down there, since winds would have to turn south instead of the usual west > east, which makes Milpitas stink after the winds blow right over the adjacent landfill.

Berryessa is increasingly an Asian enclave, somewhat pricey, and quite safe.
Looking at the demographics of the zip code for Berryessa (95132), it's pretty diverse with about 55% Asian, 15% White, and 18% Hispanic. For shooping, you'll be near the Great Mall which has a movie theater. Berryessa also has good schools.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 PM

19 posts, read 82,277 times
Thank you so much for the info. We have actually made an offer on a detached, only six year old , former model town house on S. Winchester.(I am not familiar with that area either but oh well I guess) However it is a short sale and you never know what might happen with the short sales. So in the mean time I keep my eyes open for other opportunities. We saw this house on Saturday and I really liked it although it is out of our price range with about 50K. May be they will reduce the price.You never know right?? Anyway, I had no idea that buying a house would be this stressful. Thank you again for the info.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 30,862 times
Speaking of demographics in the East San Jose area - did I research correctly that Alum Rock is largely Latin American population? It is hard to tell from a map, but how far is Alum Rock from the 880?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burneja View Post
Speaking of demographics in the East San Jose area - did I research correctly that Alum Rock is largely Latin American population? It is hard to tell from a map, but how far is Alum Rock from the 880?

Yes, Alum Rock is largely Hispanic...mostly Mexican. It also happens to be a pretty crappy part of town. My brother and sister-in-law used to live there and had to deal with numerous crime and quality of life issues while they were there. The further you head East toward the hills, the nicer it gets...mainly East of White Rd. The hills near Alum Rock Park are actually very nice and have great views of the valley. The closest freeway is I-680, but it's not too hard to get over to I-880 from that part of town.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 AM

I know you guys are probably fed up with me by now.. But we are still hunting for a house and along the way as soon as I see one that might work, I am rushing back over here to get your ideas.( I also wish I wasn't too shy to knock on the neighbors' doors and ask them about the area.)

This one is on Elkwood Dr in Milpitas. I do not know where this famous dump is so I was wondering if that area gets the famous odor and how often.

We appreciate your ideas.

Thanks..

Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
I know you guys are probably fed up with me by now.. But we are still hunting for a house and along the way as soon as I see one that might work, I am rushing back over here to get your ideas.( I also wish I wasn't too shy to knock on the neighbors' doors and ask them about the area.)

This one is on Elkwood Dr in Milpitas. I do not know where this famous dump is so I was wondering if that area gets the famous odor and how often.

We appreciate your ideas.

Thanks..

The dump in Milpitas is at the west end of Dixon Landing Rd. near the bay. The infamous odor people always bring up is not nearly as much of an issue as people make it out to be. I grew up off Arizona Ave./Dixon Rd., which is just up the road from the dump and the smell used to be much worse. The smell does occasionally pick up when the wind is blowing a certain way and especially during summer heat waves. The smell is not in any way an every day occurance and is not just limited to Milpitas. The Alviso area of San Jose and also the southwestern portion of Fremont sometimes gets the smell too.

I checked out Elkwood Dr. on Google Maps and that is close to the dump. You probably would experience an occasional odor. Like I said though, it's not nearly as much of an issue as people make it out to be. My parents still live in the same house I grew up in and I very rarely notice the odor when I visit them. I actually notice the odor far more often where I work in southwestern Fremont.

The further east you go toward the hills in Milpitas, the less likely you will be to experience the dump smell.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Thank you so much mstnghu2.... Your response is very informative. Appreciate that.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:31 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the info. We have actually made an offer on a detached, only six year old , former model town house on S. Winchester.(I am not familiar with that area either but oh well I guess) However it is a short sale and you never know what might happen with the short sales. So in the mean time I keep my eyes open for other opportunities. We saw this house on Saturday and I really liked it although it is out of our price range with about 50K. May be they will reduce the price.You never know right?? Anyway, I had no idea that buying a house would be this stressful. Thank you again for the info.
I would pursue the house on Winchester if I could. It's a hellaciously noisy street, but anything west of Hwy 17 is highly desirable for buyers. That house will hold its value well.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I would pursue the house on Winchester if I could. It's a hellaciously noisy street, but anything west of Hwy 17 is highly desirable for buyers. That house will hold its value well.
Thank you so much for the info. We are still waiting to hear from that town house on Winchester. The realtor says it might take months and even then there is no guarantee. So I quess we will just keep our fingers crossed, be patient and wish for the best..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose