Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:55 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times

Advertisements

I'm not seeing this, I've never stayed at this location (to be honest I've only stayed at 5 hotels in the Bay Area, most too expensive for what you're looking for, really little reason to stay in a hotel when you live here), but this hotel has been highly reviewed "Domain Hotel, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel" in Sunnyvale. It does have over 400 reviews, so there are some bad reviews, but they tend to be the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 07:00 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Alright I'll play. Hyatt House on North 1st
Goes for $200+ any day of the year pretty much.

You can blame the high cost of living and stiff credit requirements for the motel issues.. because of the free flow of immigrants they can also end up being hubs for human trafficking rings at times. There was a recent story about a motel in East Oakland that was shut down for that very thing.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:03 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post

You can blame the high cost of living and stiff credit requirements for the motel issues.. because of the free flow of immigrants they can also end up being hubs for human trafficking rings at times. There was a recent story about a motel in East Oakland that was shut down for that very thing.
While it is not under $100/night, looking at a few weekends from now, in summer, it lists for $125/night, granted that is the cheapest room, not a suite or a studio. But $200+ it is not.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post

So people who don't have good credit and can't afford apartments in the Bay Area are living in motels? No wonder why motel rates are so expensive and discourage tourism.

From reading motel reviews, it seems like the El Camino Real corridor in the South Bay has become sketchy.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:43 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
So people who don't have good credit and can't afford apartments in the Bay Area are living in motels? No wonder why motel rates are so expensive and discourage tourism.

From reading motel reviews, it seems like the El Camino Real corridor in the South Bay has become sketchy.
I find it is hard to find a decent hotel anywhere under $100 these days, not just here. Hotel prices here actually strike me as pretty normal for a major metro area.

One thing to keep in mind is price patterns here are the opposite of tourist areas. Weekends, generally, are much cheaper than weeknights, often by $100 or more per night.. This is because very few tourists stay in Silicon Valley - most of the hotel traffic here is business traffic, and business traffic (1) doesn't stay weekends and (2) can pay. So they take advantage of it .

A few suggestions:

1. Zen Hotel, Palo Alto. Hotels in Palo Alto | The Zen Hotel | Palo Alto, CA My aunt and uncle have stayed here many times, it is a very nice, clean property. I picked a random weekend in August, and if I do Advance Purchase, could get it for $111 per night.

2. Grand Hotel, Sunnyvale. The Grand Hotel - Luxury Hotel Sunnyvale CA I've stayed here twice myself. This is a nice property on El Camino. Nothing special in the area, but it's well located for various tech companies and so forth. The weekend rate is 120-130 per night.

3. Sheraton Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale Hotel | Sheraton Sunnyvale Hotel This isn't a typical high rise Sheraton, but is a nice property with nice grounds and pool. Nice Mediterranean restaurant on site. I've stayed here myself and had a good stay. Again, nothing special in the immediate area, but it's well located for a lot of the Valley. It starts around 135 a night on weekends.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
I find it is hard to find a decent hotel anywhere under $100 these days, not just here. Hotel prices here actually strike me as pretty normal for a major metro area.

One thing to keep in mind is price patterns here are the opposite of tourist areas. Weekends, generally, are much cheaper than weeknights, often by $100 or more per night.. This is because very few tourists stay in Silicon Valley - most of the hotel traffic here is business traffic, and business traffic (1) doesn't stay weekends and (2) can pay. So they take advantage of it .

A few suggestions:

1. Zen Hotel, Palo Alto. Hotels in Palo Alto | The Zen Hotel | Palo Alto, CA My aunt and uncle have stayed here many times, it is a very nice, clean property. I picked a random weekend in August, and if I do Advance Purchase, could get it for $111 per night.

2. Grand Hotel, Sunnyvale. The Grand Hotel - Luxury Hotel Sunnyvale CA I've stayed here twice myself. This is a nice property on El Camino. Nothing special in the area, but it's well located for various tech companies and so forth. The weekend rate is 120-130 per night.

3. Sheraton Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale Hotel | Sheraton Sunnyvale Hotel This isn't a typical high rise Sheraton, but is a nice property with nice grounds and pool. Nice Mediterranean restaurant on site. I've stayed here myself and had a good stay. Again, nothing special in the immediate area, but it's well located for a lot of the Valley. It starts around 135 a night on weekends.

I appreciate your suggestions. Many thanks.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
For living in a hotel, I use Extended Stay America hotels. I stayed in one in Fremont, and then the one in Alviso/Great America area of north Santa Clara, when I relocated there, before finding a job and apartment.

If you stay in any hotel for 30 days or longer, you don't have to pay the luxury tax, which will significantly lower the price.

The Extended Stays aren't fancy, but they have a small kitchenette, and maid service once a week, and a laundry room, and security.

Both the one in Fremont and the one in north Santa Clara/Alviso where I stayed, are in safe areas.

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/h...ca/santa-clara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose