Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 6,533 times

Advertisements

HI, I am a recently separated, (4 months) single mom. I live n Hawaii but am looking to start fresh in California, preferably in the Santa Clara area. Since my husband left us with not much financial help as we are not in any legal separation/divorce status as of yet, fortunately I have received section 8 assistance approval that I can take to California since I am a part time teacher in Hawaii at a school for at risk youth but have no employment set up yet in California. I have a BA in communications and other minor studies so I am not uneducated, I just don't have much of a work history outside the home (at 46).

I am actually looking at ideas to start a small business in California but initially, I will be on section 8 with the intent to work hard to get myself and my daughter set up so we wont need the assistance.

If anyone has any suggestions on living in Santa Clara on section 8, or anything else I would appreciate it. thank you.

Last edited by NextStepinNewLife; 09-26-2014 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 02:59 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,371,571 times
My suggestion is to NOT look for your fresh start int he most expensive metro in the USA… unless of course you already have a suitably paying job already lined up.

In any case, 'move to CA on section 8 assistance' because it 'seems nice' (or ???) ≠ good idea.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 PM

158 posts, read 358,673 times
I don't think teaching jobs are particularly plentiful in most of California. There were state budget cuts for education and they were laying teachers off a while back. I'm not sure if its gotten much better.

I would also advise against picking up and moving here. You might find yourself in a worse position than you're leaving behind. Plus, if you need to proceed with divorce, don't you need to show up in court? How would you do that from across the ocean?

Old 09-26-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeya View Post
I don't think teaching jobs are particularly plentiful in most of California. There were state budget cuts for education and they were laying teachers off a while back. I'm not sure if its gotten much better.

I would also advise against picking up and moving here. You might find yourself in a worse position than you're leaving behind. Plus, if you need to proceed with divorce, don't you need to show up in court? How would you do that from across the ocean?
The divorce will be uncontested when my husband decides to file, so I will likely sign anything he sends. I am so unhappy here, I don't enjoy life here anymore for more reasons than the split. I think the split was just the cherry on top. I have been considering California for a while now. I really don't care where in California to start as long as its safe enough, because I am determined to do what I can to get to where we will be comfortable. I mistakenly lost myself and worked hard to help my husband get ahead, but now its time to do it for me.

I am grateful for the section 8 because I feel it will give me a moment to get my footing as I begin the hard work of moving up.

Any locations that might be ok for my immediate (for now) situation?

Old 09-26-2014, 06:39 PM

926 posts, read 978,936 times
if you wanna move here go ahead and just do it. moved here 3 years ago from texas took a big risk as it is very expensive but I am so far so good. Been through some unpleasant times here but never regretted moving here. You never know what awaits you. You alwayss listen to what you want and not what other tells you.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
if you wanna move here go ahead and just do it. moved here 3 years ago from texas took a big risk as it is very expensive but I am so far so good. Been through some unpleasant times here but never regretted moving here. You never know what awaits you. You alwayss listen to what you want and not what other tells you.

Good for you. I am hoping for the same results, I'm just inquiring because I have my daughter in tow, so I am looking for some insight as I research.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
I'd consider places outside the Bay Area. Maybe Fresno, Sacramento, maybe Southern California etc until you can build up some savings. Then move to Santa Clara area which is expensive. The cost of rent might be the biggest problem you run into in northern California.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:42 PM

In southern California, where would some of the safe areas be to look into? I know it will be difficult starting out with section 8 but I have faith everything will work out in the end.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:47 PM

For anyone unfamiliar, I have a section 8 voucher which means any landlord willing to rent to me with it will get a portion of the rent paid from the government and the rest from me. HUD will inspect the unit first to ensure basic safety issues are not a problem but other wise until I get on my feet they will assist me with payments.

I know the program because my family used to own homes we rented to section 8 tenants, crazy how things work out.

I know the stigma attached to section 8 but unfortunately being left by my husband, left me and my child in need of the rental assistance. So I truly appreciate section 8 and all the input you all are giving me.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:00 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStepinNewLife View Post
HI, I am a recently separated, (4 months) single mom. I live n Hawaii but am looking to start fresh in California, preferably in the Santa Clara area. Since my husband left us with not much financial help as we are not in any legal separation/divorce status as of yet, fortunately I have received section 8 assistance approval that I can take to California since I am a part time teacher in Hawaii at a school for at risk youth but have no employment set up yet in California. I have a BA in communications and other minor studies so I am not uneducated, I just don't have much of a work history outside the home (at 46).

I am actually looking at ideas to start a small business in California but initially, I will be on section 8 with the intent to work hard to get myself and my daughter set up so we wont need the assistance.

If anyone has any suggestions on living in Santa Clara on section 8, or anything else I would appreciate it. thank you.
to be honest, I don't recommend moving here to the Bay Area, or any part of Coastal California. the Cost of Living here is also pretty high like Hawaii (a bit less but almost the same) and teachers don't get paid well here nor are there many teaching jobs available at the moment due to the State making huge budget cuts during the worst of the current economic depression (yes, it is a depression people).

I would recommend that you fix your situation first in Hawaii before moving to California. it's too expensive out here and jobs aren't plentiful. however, if you are really that into moving to California, I recommend checking out Sacramento. not as expensive like the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose