Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:31 AM

10 posts, read 25,210 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I've read and googled everything I could about living in San Jose and it seems gang violence is inevitable. Or at least having cars stolen or having homes broken into. I guess I should invest in a security system once I move there in about a month. My job has relocated me to a place over there and I figured this is the most affordable area, plus it's pretty nice inside the house from what I've seen when I actually visited the place to make sure it was okay to live. However, not being a resident of San Jose I see alot of gang activity and crime around the area regarding car theft and such. I don't know if that place is a ghetto area or a potential place for crime to take place. Let alone raise a family. People say to keep your neighbors informed on when u go on vacation and to keep an eye out foreachother which makes me feel better but somewhat unsure as to how safe the area is. I've also heard living in san jose you can't get away from gangs and it's just a fact of life. When I visited the Makati Circle area in San Jose where I'll be staying I found it to be a really green area with trees and lots of gardens and what not. It seemed okay for the time I visited but after coming back home in the east coast from that brief visit after buying the house I found alot of info about San jose and "gangs". I just have a few questions:

1.) Is it safe to walk around at night in Makati Circle?

2.) Can I walk my dog at night in Makati Circle?

3.) Are there shootings anywhere near Makati Circle?

4.) Is Makati Circle considered the ghetto?

5.) Is Makati Circle a desirable area to live in San Jose?

I'm not sure if Makati Circle in San jose is considered Santa Teresa district? or Edenvale District? or Blossom Hill? or Blossom Valley? Not sure about what the exact district is called but I just wanted to get some feedback from anyone living there or with experience in that neighborhood specifically. I heard theres some not so good neighborhoods in San Jose but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again you guys. Really appreciate any honest feedback about this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 07:47 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
That's the eastern part of Blossom Valley.. Edenvale is on the other side of the Monterey Highway. It is a little run-down around there. A few years ago you could get a condo in Makati Circle for less than $200K.. now it has doubled because of heavy speculation. So I hope you are at least renting instead of buying that condo. But I don't think your fear and broad-brush painting of San Jose as a gangland is justified. It isn't.

The city has plans to build a kind of second Santana Row on Cottle, right across from that complex. Lord knows why, it's not like the area needs more shopping.. all anyone has to do is take Blossom Hill a couple miles and they can buy whatever they could possibly think of.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 AM

Crap, should i have rented? Even the rents are over $2k though and income is roughly $75k/yr kn average for blossom hill area near there so i figured it would be okay? Well i enddd up buying the place. Its a nice updated townhouse though. Nice interior and what not but ibjust dont knoq if the area is safe. As long as i dont hear gun shots im happy with that but i just dont know. Thanks for your feedback though. Really appreciate your honest input.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:11 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The city has plans to build a kind of second Santana Row on Cottle, right across from that complex. Lord knows why, it's not like the area needs more shopping.. all anyone has to do is take Blossom Hill a couple miles and they can buy whatever they could possibly think of.
I think it makes plenty of sense.

The Target at Oakridge Mall is so busy, at every hour, every day of the week, that I often can't find a parking spot in that five story parking structure. Even though it's farther away, I now go to the new one on Cottle just because I'm guaranteed to be able to park.

The same thing is true of the Costco at Almaden and Blossom Hill. Forget about going there on a weekend, you'll circle for 20 minutes trying to find a parking spot. That new location on Great Oaks is sorely needed. The population in So San Jose can easily support the new shopping center IMHO.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 PM

197 posts, read 347,738 times
I am not familiar with that particular street but I have family in 95123 and they feel safe and enjoy the area.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:17 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I think it makes plenty of sense.

The Target at Oakridge Mall is so busy, at every hour, every day of the week, that I often can't find a parking spot in that five story parking structure. Even though it's farther away, I now go to the new one on Cottle just because I'm guaranteed to be able to park.

The same thing is true of the Costco at Almaden and Blossom Hill. Forget about going there on a weekend, you'll circle for 20 minutes trying to find a parking spot. That new location on Great Oaks is sorely needed. The population in So San Jose can easily support the new shopping center IMHO.
I haven't been down that way lately.. if what's going in is big box stores, then that doesn't sound like another Santana Row. I usually shop at the Smart & Final on Hillsdale and the Walmart on Hesperian near where I work.. I tend to find stores I like and stick with them until they no longer have the qualities that caused me to start patronizing them.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:32 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchyno View Post
1.) Is it safe to walk around at night in Makati Circle?
Nope. I would not recommend this. You will get shot from gang drive-bys.

Quote:
2.) Can I walk my dog at night in Makati Circle?
Nope. Would not recommend. The gangs will kidnap your dogs to eat.

Quote:
3.) Are there shootings anywhere near Makati Circle?
Yes. Plenty. San Jose is full of gangs don't ya know?

Quote:
4.) Is Makati Circle considered the ghetto?
Pretty much so. Good grief! Did you ever try asking this question BEFORE you buy the place?

Quote:
5.) Is Makati Circle a desirable area to live in San Jose?
San Jose is generally not desirable. It's full of gangs.

Here's the recent homicide rate in the three largest Bay Area cities:

San Jose - pop: 1 million, homicides: 29
San Francisco - pop: 800K, homicides: 26
Oakland - Pop: 400K, homicides: 50

As you can see, San Jose is indeed a city of gangs and ghetto

Old 09-29-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local123 View Post
I am not familiar with that particular street but I have family in 95123 and they feel safe and enjoy the area.
thanks man. i live at the east end of blossom hill area bordering edenvale to the south. it's not closeby but it's not that far off either. i suppose it's a good area since wholefoods is only 8 minutes west driving down blossom hill rd. and the target nearby is pretty nice. didn't see any rapstar wannabe's over there. just overall felt okay but some people say it's safe and others tell me there's gangs everywhere. it's almost like 50/50 down the middle from what i hear. from the time i spent there i felt safe overall and didn't think it was a heavily crime riddened area but from what people had said it made me think the opposite. i'm just not sure what to think of it. but your comments are very reassuring to me. thanks local 123.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Nope. I would not recommend this. You will get shot from gang drive-bys.

Nope. Would not recommend. The gangs will kidnap your dogs to eat.

Yes. Plenty. San Jose is full of gangs don't ya know?

Pretty much so. Good grief! Did you ever try asking this question BEFORE you buy the place?

San Jose is generally not desirable. It's full of gangs.

Here's the recent homicide rate in the three largest Bay Area cities:

San Jose - pop: 1 million, homicides: 29
San Francisco - pop: 800K, homicides: 26
Oakland - Pop: 400K, homicides: 50

As you can see, San Jose is indeed a city of gangs and ghetto
Where do you live? and have you ever lived in san jose? i've been to san francisco and it was okay. some weird stuff going on but nothing like shootings and stuff. also are you saying that even cupertino where steve jobs used to live was also full of gangs and shootings since your answer seems to make san jose into 1 giant ghetto?

Old 09-29-2014, 02:32 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I haven't been down that way lately.. if what's going in is big box stores, then that doesn't sound like another Santana Row. I usually shop at the Smart & Final on Hillsdale and the Walmart on Hesperian near where I work.. I tend to find stores I like and stick with them until they no longer have the qualities that caused me to start patronizing them.

It's not another Santana Row. Target was the first to open and has been open for a while. Petco and I believe Marshalls and Ulta are already open. Chipotle and Mod Pizza are already open too. I'm pretty sure the Starbucks is already open, not sure about the Panda Express.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose