Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:42 PM

10 posts, read 14,814 times

Advertisements

Hi

My girlfriend (26) and I (27) will be moving to the bay area in a month. Her job is in San Francisco (Tenderloin) while mine is in San Jose (95134)

Our budget is around $2500 for a one/two bedroom apartment.

We both will be working regular work hours (9 to 5)

We want to find a place that will be kind of midway between SF and SJ so that commute is not worse for one than the other.

What kind of cities/areas/neighborhoods should I be looking for?

We are not too specific about city/suburban difference. We are just trying to find a place that won't cause havoc to our every day commute.

We are open to driving/public transport.

I would appreciate all your help.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 05:06 PM

392 posts, read 806,905 times
Maybe just move to San Francisco (but 2500 is probably not enough even for small condo) and then you can take CalTrain to SJ every day. In that case just you will have to commute. At least that is what I would do. In that case You can survive with just one car or even without car for a while. IN SF you won't need car that much.

You are probably going to work at Cisco and if that is case you can go CalTrain (Mountain View) + VTA. (2 hour commute) but Cisco will provide you free commute. Or maybe Car + CalTrain.

In case you really want to be in "middle" you will have to have 2 cars regardless of public transport and then it will be 1 hour driving (at least) for each of you. Because housing next to CalTrain stations (Palo Alto, Mountain View or others stations) is very very expensive. So you can't live on walkable distance to CalTrain.

In that case maybe you want to look somewhere around Sunnyvale or San Mateo.

2 Cars + $2,500 vs just live in SF and rent 1/1 in SF for $3,000. (close to CalTrain station).

Old 10-06-2014, 05:37 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronydc86 View Post
Hi

My girlfriend (26) and I (27) will be moving to the bay area in a month. Her job is in San Francisco (Tenderloin) while mine is in San Jose (95134)

Our budget is around $2500 for a one/two bedroom apartment.

We both will be working regular work hours (9 to 5)

We want to find a place that will be kind of midway between SF and SJ so that commute is not worse for one than the other.

What kind of cities/areas/neighborhoods should I be looking for?

We are not too specific about city/suburban difference. We are just trying to find a place that won't cause havoc to our every day commute.

We are open to driving/public transport.

I would appreciate all your help.

Thanks!
Neither place has good public transit, unless you mean the Civic Center area/Mid market are around the Tenderloin. I would not recommend SF at all, the commute to SJ during rush hour would realistically be almost 2hrs then, the average price of a studio in SF is approaching $2500/mo now, so your budget would be for the more sketchy and/or less popular parts of SF, like outer sunset or outer richmond. I would actually recommend you look into a city called Redwood City and to look for apartments near 101. Traffic would not be that great on either direction, as both 8-9am and 5-6pm are during rush hour, but Redwood City is one of the most affordable locations in the mid peninsula. I think you would both be looking at 45m-1hr commute then.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 PM

Thank you both!

How about the other side instead? Like Castro valley or Hayward?

I am not sure how livable those places are but I am just trying to figure out if it would be better for both of us driving to work that way

Old 10-06-2014, 05:51 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
Quote:
Thank you both!

How about the other side instead? Like Castro valley or Hayward?

I am not sure how livable those places are but I am just trying to figure out if it would be better for both of us driving to work that way
Depends on Priorities, the commute to SF would be a little easier by transit, but again the gf would have to walk a while from BART in the Tenderloin (not the safest place). Traffic would be a little worse for you, probably a lot worse for her, but being in SJ rather than further west in the valley works better for you. The biggest trade-off is a lifestyle choice, the East Bay doesn't have that many downtowns, so really you would end up with just downtown Hayward, which is very up and coming, versus the peninsula, downtown RWC is nicer, and you would have the choice of a quick drive to downtown Menlo Park, downtown Palo Alto, downtown San Carlos, or downtown San Mateo. But Hayward and Castro Valley have much lower rents, so you will be able to get a newer place and larger place for the $2500/mo, possibly even a large townhouse.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Thank you!

Her office is right by civic center BART station. We are really considering possibility of Hayward or Castro valley

Are there any specific cities/neighborhoods around here that you would recommend?

Driving to 95134 would be around 30-45 min?

Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Driving from Castro Valley/Hayward to 95134 is 35 minutes during off peak hours (5 AM).

During rush hour, from 95134, minimum of 65 minutes, probably more.

Quote:
Thank you!

Her office is right by civic center BART station. We are really considering possibility of Hayward or Castro valley

Are there any specific cities/neighborhoods around here that you would recommend?

Driving to 95134 would be around 30-45 min?

Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 PM

134 posts, read 255,125 times
I was about to suggest Foster City (Hillsdale Caltrain) or Redwood City (RWC Caltrain), then I checked 95134 in Google maps and read your last post. I think Fremont is a better option. She can take BART to Civic Center and you take I-880 to your work - 10-15 mins. Hayward is also a good option which will reduce her commute by 5 mins and increase yours by 20 mins.

Another option is to stay close to Bay Fair BART station: She gets 2 lines to go to SF and back (Fremont and Dublin/Pleasanton) and your commute will be 30-45 mins or you can take BART to Fremont and then drive to work. You can find 2/1 condo for $2500 near Bay Fair.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 PM

392 posts, read 806,905 times
@ronydc86 I want to correct myself I meant in first replay "Sunnyvale or Redwood City".

Driving to 95134 is more then hour for sure.

---

This is what you are looking for:
Beautifully remodeled Unit Available!!!

She can walk to CalTrain and then Bart (1 hour commute)
and you can go by car 45 min commute.

---

Edit: I have to agree with vadaseri Fremont is probably best option for you guys. I just check on Google Maps as well.
But your ride is not going to be 10-15 min it will be more little less then from RedWood City.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/4702589618.html
This is place from where she can walk to the Bart.

Last edited by vrhunski; 10-06-2014 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 10:20 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Fremont is going to be the way to go, but it sure isn't cheap any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose